Enlisted African Confederates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enlisted African Confederates

Just a couple thoughts and observations that may throw a wrench into this ongoing debate:

Mr. Brewer, Mr. Dabney, and others have posted some excellent first-person accounts about Afro-Confederates. But if you examine them more closely, they're really second- or third-hand accounts. The OR reports are mostly Colonel X passing on the report of Captain Y who related the actions of a patrol from his company. There's certainly room for error and embellishment during that chain of communication. What's left is close to hearsay.

Also, the newspaper accounts have plenty of room for bias, error, or outright myth. Remember that it was common for appers of this time to repeat or republish stories from other sources. Sometimes the details of location or people involved might be altered to make it seem like it happened locally, but the basic plot stays the same. It's similar to the urban legend phenomenon. I just read an excellent book by Michael Allen, Western Rivermen, 1763-1861: Ohio and Mississippi Boatmen and the Myth of the Alligator Horse which talked about this theme as regards the folk legends of the western rivermen. Also, Southern papers performed quite a bit of morale boosting during the time, part of which consisted of assuring readers that the enslaved population of the South was loyal and supportive. This rose out of the great pre-war fears of slave-uprisings which increased with the outbreak of hostilities and the departure of so many whites to the service.

What I'm trying to get at is that although we have plenty of perfectly acceptable primary source material, some of it so kindly posted here, it shouldn't necessarily be taken at face value. Although it may be the best we have as far as hearing a voice from that time, it still needs to be evaluated for error or bias.

The image of the Afro-Confederate soldier on the Confederate Monument at Arlington can serve to illustrate my point. Images may be found on the website that was discussed earlier in this thread, http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/count...is/blackcs.htm. You will notice that the man in question is not visibly bearing arms. The musket behind his head is on the shoulder of the soldier to the left; you can see the lock on it, which means if the black man is carrying it, he's doing so very awkwardly. So we have a black man marching among the ranks of soldiers. He is wearing a kepi, and possibly a uniform jacket. His exact status is unclear. Is he an enslaved bodyservant? A free one? A free black enlisted man? A musician? His position in the army is ambiguous, as is much of the evidence on this topic. I would say that his inclusion in the scene echos Mr. Dabney's comments and was the artist's way of stating that, as is his inclusion of the children entrusted to the enslaved woman.

I will admit that this observation is made from what I can see from these images. I've seen expanded views of the tableau before, and I believe that I'm correct that the individual in question is not shouldering a musket. If anyone can provide an image showing that he is definitely armed then there's certainly egg on my face!
    John Christiansen
    SGLHA
    PLHA

Comment

Please bear with me,

So far this is " Hearsay" evidence.

My sister, who lives in Belmont NC just called me with an unusual tale.
      It seems that in an otherwise innocent conversation with Contractor X , the subject of religion, then churches, then cemetaries came up.

And then the kicker!

The contractor had just returned from visiting his GGG fathers' grave in New York.
      ( Allegedly ) GGGF was on a train to a prison in NY (Elmyra?), when the train de-railed, he was severely injured and subsequently died of pneumonia. A black soldier, not contraband.

I don't have documentation yet, But I both envy and pity Contractor X. Interrogation follows.
      I will verify or not, and let you know.

Regards,
      Kevin Ellis,
      26th NC

Comment

I must admit, this little piece of photo-shopping got a chuckle out of me. It was posted on a Civil War blog that I frequent and references the debate over black Confederates that takes place in the "Letters to the Editor" section of a popular Civil War magazine. I hope the attachment is large enough for the content of the word bubbles to be legible.

Eric
        Attached Files
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Eric,

Quite simply the best comic I've read in a while. All 90,000 who surrendered at some stage during the war that North and South both don't write about. All settled in McLean's parlor.
          Sincerely,
          Emmanuel Dabney
          Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
          http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Hello,
            I would suggest reading the book entitlied: Confederate Emancipation by Bruce Levine. It is reviewed here: http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrow...CMTg&user=&pw=

Also, I believe there was recently an article in North and South magazine about the myth of "Black Confederates." The politics of claiming the existance of Black Confederates is muddled. Even if the Confederacy had enlisted soldiers locally or even en masse it would still never have negated the fact that secession came about because of an exaggerated fear on the part of slave owners that Lincoln would end slavery. The idea of Black Confederates is comforting because it supports the idea that the war was not about slavery and that both sides could be right. That being said I have no problem representing Confederates. What happened, happened and we should do our best not to forget and to understand it.
            -Matt White
            Last edited by fire_zouave; 01-09-2008, 04:13 PM. Reason: I wrote the wrong author.
            Yours, etc.,
            Matt White
            http://www.libertyrifles.org/
            http://www.cwurmuseum.org/
            http://www.military-historians.org/

"One of the liveliest rows I had while in the service was with the quartermaster for filling a requisition that I made for shoes for my company, on the theory that no shoe was too large for a Negro, and he gave me all 10's and upwards. When I returned the shoes, informing him that my soldiers did not wear pontoons, he insisted that I should take them and issue them to my company anyway. Well, I didn't do it: consequently the row."
            -Robert Beecham 2nd Wisconsin/23rd USCT

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
              I must admit, this little piece of photo-shopping got a chuckle out of me. It was posted on a Civil War blog that I frequent and references the debate over black Confederates that takes place in the "Letters to the Editor" section of a popular Civil War magazine. I hope the attachment is large enough for the content of the word bubbles to be legible.

Eric
              Allright Eric, I'm half considering sending you the cleaning bill for my shirt - I snoogied coffee all over it after reading that cartoon. That was one of the funiest things I've seen in a long time. Cheers.
              Peter Julius
              North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

Re: African American Re-enactors

Originally posted by HighPrvt View Post
                To address your second question...
                There are black reenactors in the ranks in the mainstream world.
                To do so in the realm of authentic reenacting one would have to do so historically correct, which may not bide well in today's politically correct realm.

In the southern ranks the black soldiers would primarily be used as workers. Rather that be digging, cooking, driving, etc...

Same could be said for the union side, especially in the western theater.
                If one wanted to do so as a federal infantry soldier, you would need your own unit ( segregated) with white officers.....

Substitute the word black with whatever term you wish, as I do not have a politically correct bone in my body!
                Well put,

The black Confederate saga is pure myth and so is Kelly Barrow's book. One could probably count on one hand the black men who served in the Confederate fighting forces ARMED WITH MUSKETS. If you will observe most period images of them, they are armed with canteens, haversacks, or just standing next to their white companion in the enlisted ranks. In mid to late war it was put into theory but not practice.

Regards,
                Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

This is a subject I study on my own also and why I'm interested in this thread. There is not enough of the type of evidence needed of black confederates to quantify how many served to the degree people want to. What does exist is often used to support a preexisting opinion which is why such a subject draws more attention than it otherwise would. And also, the evidence that does exist is what could be called wet sand. It's good for sandcastles but not houses.
                  [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Eric, thank you for sharing that cartoon. My sides hurt from laughing.

Gary
                    GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                    High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                    X