Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent

I have seen a Photo of the inside of a Federal cavalry a-frame tent. The ground cover was buttoned to the tent itself, kind of like a modern tent today. Has anyone else seen or done this? I tink it may have been done to keep out the weather.. let me know

MGrzeskowiak
    9th NYVC
    Mrgrzeskowiak@roadrunner.com

Re: Tent

Mr. Grzeskowiak, you'll want to configure your signature to include your first name, to conform with the forum rules.

On the tent, is there a way to reference the picture itself, or thumbnail it here? There may be others who've seen similar things, or might know the circumstances of the particular image.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I dont have the picture anymore, Just wondering if anyone has seen somthing like this before.. Thanks

Comment

Do you remember where the picture was? Was it eBay, a book, an article?

I'm not clear on the exact arrangement, but one difficulty with buttoning a ground cloth to the tent comes in stress points--walking on the ground cloth puts stress on the attachments points, and any sort of tripping will pull the whole thing down.
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Watch what you put your foot in...

I must say, am quite suspicious about this photo. A cavalry A-Frame you say? Are you sure it wasn't a photo of a reenactor's tent. I don't think I've ever seen a good period photo of a tent exterior except as used by officers.

On a side note, while I have seen tent poles successfully strapped to a riderless mule, I've never been able to satisfactorily strap them to a saddle I was riding in.

Without the original documentation I think this discussion may risk waywardly straying into the realm of suppositions and reenactorisms...
          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: Watch what you put your foot in...

Reminds me of the legendary photo of German prisoners wearing surplus NC Depot jackets.

That story usually begins in hushed voices around a campfire at some location like Fort Branch or Bennett Place or Bentonville or Fort Fisher, and relates how the narrator heard that Ain't Lulu's third husband's first wife's next door neighbor's electrician, who was engaged to that girl that got herself into some trouble over in Old Trap (wink, wink) knew a fellow who said he once heard from a plumber's helper's second cousin down in Little Washington that the picture was clear as day, and hung in plain view in some official capacity somewhere, but he couldn't quite remember when or where he saw it, or if he was supposed to use teflon tape or thread paste on that last joint. Cleeeeeeetusssssssss, bring me another Natchel Lite!

One way ticket to The Sinks coming up.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Mr. Heath, get ya some Irish brew, Jameson is smooth, take a shot for Ole Marshall Jones!

Aye, What does Barnacle Bill say?
              Dean Burchfield
              [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
              Cleburnes
              Hard Case Boys
              Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
              Napoléon Bonaparte
              A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

That story usually begins in hushed voices around a campfire at some location like Fort Branch or Bennett Place or Bentonville or Fort Fisher, and relates how the narrator heard that Ain't Lulu's third husband's first wife's next door neighbor's electrician, who was engaged to that girl that got herself into some trouble over in Old Trap (wink, wink) knew a fellow who said he once heard from a plumber's helper's second cousin down in Little Washington that the picture was clear as day, and hung in plain view in some official capacity somewhere, but he couldn't quite remember when or where he saw it, or if he was supposed to use teflon tape or thread paste on that last joint. Cleeeeeeetusssssssss, bring me another Natchel Lite!
                That hurts Charles, it really does.:cry_smile

I've heard that story to many times and one guy goes as far as to tell it visitors at living history.
                Andrew Turner
                Co.D 27th NCT
                Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Charles,

Be careful some Tarheels may take offense to the term "Lil Washington." :)

Although as a displaced son of the "Ole North State" who commutes everyday to work in "Big Washington" I have grown to appreciate North Carolina's version of Washington even more.

Break...

Charles just wanted to take this opportunity to say hello, its been awhile since you and I fell in together with Mike Murley an crew (Rowdy Pards) back in the late 90's. I am finally getting back into reenacting from a long break.

Wade Sokolosky
                  [FONT="Times New Roman"][I]Wade Sokolosky[/I][/FONT]
                  [url]www.civilwarnorthcarolina.com[/url]
                  Hedgesville Blues
                  SHOCKER MESS

Comment

Sirs,

There may be some substance to the allusion that extraneous Civil War uniforms, blankets, etc , were given to WWI POW's. Not to say that because I READ it ,it is true.......
                    The instance I read was excerpted from local newspapers here in western NC. Particularly referring to an internment camp located near Marshall, NC. I do not have a specific citation in hand, but I will make a concerted effort to find them and report back.

Regards,
                    Kevin Ellis,
                    26th NCT

Comment

I am sure that ir was not a photo of a reenactors tent. If I come across it again I will note it here.

Comment

Working...
                      X