Napoleon's Veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napoleon's Veterans

Came across this terrific series of images. These are old soldiers who fought with Napoleon. Check out the uniforms.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Napoleon's Veterans

Wow! And you thought our uniforms were expensive to recreate; imagine what Chris Daley or Scott Hanes would have to charge for all that gold lace and braid. Thanks for sharing that link, Ken.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Terrific images! I think even more impressive than the uniforms is the attitude and bearing of those soldiers. They may be older at the time of the photos, but they still have that "we can kick your ass" look to them! Thanks for posting those.

Neil Randolph
      1st WV

Comment

I spent some time yesterday with a 1890's Va. Militia Coatee that was similar in cut to what some of the fellows were wearing in the posted link. Not for reproduction but more out of curiosity. Beautiful piece. It was in a local flea market and I noticed it while on a button search.

Best,
        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
        PO BOX 4849
        Midlothian, VA 23112
        www.richmonddepot.com
        (804)305-2968

Comment

Originally posted by nrandolph View Post
          Terrific images! I think even more impressive than the uniforms is the attitude and bearing of those soldiers. They may be older at the time of the photos, but they still have that "we can kick your ass" look to them! Thanks for posting those.

Neil Randolph
          1st WV
          Except that the last time these guys saw action, the "ass kicking" was reversed. It was indeed a Grande Armee however
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I truely enjoyed those pictures...my great, great, great, great grandfather was in Napoleon's army. He spent the later part of his service in the Old Guard (served at Waterloo & was then mustered out shortly after). Once the European wars were over he came to America in the early 1820's & had a son who then served in both the Mexican & Civil war. Great images, Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that his service was a bit ironic, since he was not French, but rather German. He was born in Baden which was at the time part of the Confederation of the Rhine which was a puppet government set up by Napoleon. When the Confederation switched side and turned to the allies, I guess he chose to stay true to Napoleon.

Michael Fahle
            Co. F, 2nd USSS
            Last edited by Fahlem; 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM.

Comment

My, those are lovely aren't they!? Do they look a lot like reenactors to anyone else?
              One of my wife's ancestors, a Johann Haverle (or Haberle), also a German, marched to Moscow. Even more impressively, he marched home again. Promptly boarded a boat and came to America and settled in north central Pennsylvania. Probably never wanted to hear of war ever again.
              Rob Weaver
              Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
              "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
              [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Very cool! :)
                Frank Perkin

Comment

Neat! La Grande Armee lives!
                  GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                  High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...