Marines at First Bull Run!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marines at First Bull Run!

I just got done reading William T. Sherman's after action report for the battle of Bull Run/First Manassas. He makes mention of something that caught me a little by surprise. Sherman states that he saw some Zouaves and a battalion of Marines go over the hill and engage the enemy. Does anyone have more information on Marines being engaged at First Bull Run? Could Sherman have been mistaken in what he saw? I'd like to think not coming from a man with a strong military background as he had.
    Charles Thomas

Re: Marines at First Bull Run!

Comrade,

Nope. The Marines were present and performed to their typically high level of gallantry. A battalion of 4 companies of Marines was organised shortly before 1st Bull Run, at the Marine Barracks of the Washington Navy Yard. John G. Reynolds commanded them.

A short while after Bull Run, this battalion was detached and sent south to participate in operations along the coasts of the Carolinas and Georgia.

You can find more with a google search for Marines and Bull Run, etc.

Respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Davis M. Sullivan's series of works on the Marine Corps during the Civil War is very good, and in the aggregate an authoritative work on the subject. You can get the several volumes through interlibrary loan or through Amazon.
      ~ Chris Hubbard
      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Tim, Chris:
        Thanks. I'll investigate a little further. It's strange that I should read many accounts of the battle and never come across any reference to the Marines even being present (and believe me, I've read many!).
        -Chuck
        Charles Thomas

Comment

A Marine Battalion Flaked by a Company of Zouaves (Fire Zouaves from New York I think , If I remember corectly) Were broken temporaraly and chased back by Confederate calvary. USM Buttons were found in some of the deepest pennetrations into the Confederate line, but, for the most part the Marines at Manassas were kept in reserve throughout the battle. Many of the Marines involved were still green and this was their first land action experiance.
          Steven Flibotte
          Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
          Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
          Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Here is Reynolds' report of Bull Run:

MARINE BARRACKS HEADQUARTERS,
            Washington, July 24, 1861.
            CAPTAIN: I have the honor to report the movements and operations of the battalion of marines under my command detailed to co-operate with the Army.

The battalion left the barracks at headquarters in time to reach the Virginia end of the Potomac Long Bridge at 3 p.m. July 16, and proceeded up the Columbia turnpike until an officer, purporting to be the assistant adjutant-general of Colonel Porter's brigade, came up and assigned us position in the line of march, which placed us immediately in the rear of-Captain Griffin's battery of flying artillery. This assignment was continued up to the period of the battle at Bull Run.

On reaching the field, and for some hours previously, the battery's accelerated march was such as to keep my command more or less in double-quick time; consequently the men became fatigued or exhausted in strength. Being obliged at this period to halt, in order to afford those in the rear an opportunity of closing up and taking their proper place in line, the battery was lost to protection from the force under my command. This I stated to Colonel Porter, who was ever present, watching the events, of the day. The position of the battery was pointed out, and I was directed to afford the necessary support. In taking this position the battalion was exposed to a galling fire. Whilst holding it General McDowell ordered the battalion to cover or support the Fourteenth New York Regiment which was about to be engaged. The battalion, in consequence, took the position indicated by the general, but was unable to hold it, owing to the heavy fire which was opened upon them. They broke three several times, but as frequently formed, and urged back to their position, where finally a general rout took place, in which the marines participated. No effort on the part of their officers could induce them to rally.

I am constrained to call your attention to the fact that, when taking into consideration the command was composed entirely of recruits--not one being in service over three weeks, and many had hardly learned their facings, the officers likewise being but a short time in the service--their conduct was such as to elicit only the highest commendation.

Of the three hundred and fifty officers and enlisted men under my command, there were but two staff officers, two captains, one first lieutenant, and nine non-commissioned officers and two musicians who were experienced from length of service. The remainder were, of course, raw recruits, which being considered, I am happy to report the good conduct of officers and men. The officers, although but little experienced, were zealous in their efforts to carry out my orders.

In the death of Lieutenant Hitchcock the corps has been deprived of a valuable acquisition. On the field he was ever present and zealous. He sought and won the approbation of his commanding and brother officers.
            Inclosed please find a return of the battalion, showing its present strength, with casualties, &c. [one officer and eight men killed; two officers and seventeen men wounded; sixteen men missing; aggregate forty four casualties]

The abrupt and hasty retreat from the field of battle presents a deplorable deficiency in both arms and equipments.

The rout being of such a general character, the men of all arms commingled, the only alternative left was to hasten to the ground occupied by the brigade to which we were attached on the morning of the day of the battle. On my way thither I had the good fortune to fall in with General Meigs, whose consternation at the disastrous retreat was depicted upon his countenance. He was of the opinion the Army should hasten to Arlington, fearing otherwise the enemy would follow up their successes and cut us off on the road. My men being weary and much exhausted, without blankets and other necessaries, I determined to strengthen such as should pass the wagons by hot coffee, and move on to headquarters at Washington City, where their wants could be supplied. But few came up; others continued on to the Long Bridge, where, on my arrival, I found some seventy or more, who, at my urgent solicitation, were permitted to accompany me to the barracks.

In assuming the responsibility of the return to headquarters, I trust my course will meet the approbation of authority.

Blankets were thrown aside by my order on entering the field, which from force of circumstances we were afterwards unable to recover.

All of which is respectfully submitted.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
            JNO. GEO. REYNOLDS,
            Major, Commanding Battalion Marines.
            Capt. W. W. AVERELL,
            A. A. A. G., First Brigade, Second Division, Arlington.

- Official Records, Series I, Volume 2, pp. 391-392

Eric
            Eric J. Mink
            Co. A, 4th Va Inf
            Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

As previously mentioned, Sullivan's books are a great source of information on the Service the Marine Corps Provided form 1860 to 1865.

I highly recommend it.
              Brian Hicks
              Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I am constrained to call your attention to the fact that, when taking into consideration the command was composed entirely of recruits--not one being in service over three weeks, and many had hardly learned their facings, the officers likewise being but a short time in the service--their conduct was such as to elicit only the highest commendation.

The only thing that kept these men together for so long at Bull Run was that they were Marines - tradition can help when training is lacking.

The most revealing info on the Marines actually comes from a CS account of their gallantry - we had a long thread on the subject that has apparently been lost. Anybody know the quotes?
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I hate to mention GAG in the company of such distinguished Comrades, but one thing I actually liked about that movie was that it showed U.S. Marines among the Federal ranks during the First Manassas scenes. I thought that was a nice touch...Although I don't recall from my reading concerning the battle if they actually lined up against the First Virginia Brigade as the film indicated, and don't currently have access to the necessary resources to look it up.

(Please hold your fire, Gents...This doesn't qualify as a plug for the movie. I was just happy to see the Civil War era Leathernecks getting a little screen time. :) )
                  Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
                  Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Here is how Captain William W. Averell [later General], Acting Assistant Adjutant General of Col. Andrew Porter's Second Division, described the marines reaction to the Confederate attack on Rickett's Battery.

"General McDowell said: 'Go and take the 14th [New York] where you want it.' I immediately went tot he 14th, changed its direction to the woods, and told it to take the double quick. The battery was still moving. The general said it was too late to recall the movement. I was so apprehensive that the battery would meet with a disaster there that I rode up to where the battery was. The marines were then sitting down in close column on the ground on the left of the battery. The battery was then getting into position and unlimbering. The fire zouaves were still in rear of the battery. The zouaves immediately commenced a movement, rose up and moved off in rear of the battery, a little to the right. I rode up then to the left of the battery, and there met Colonel Heintzelman. I saw some troops immediately in the front of us, not over 75 to 100 yards off. I should say it was at least a regiment; we could see their heads and faces plainly. I said the Colonel Heintzelman: 'What troops are those in front of us?' He was looking off in another direction. I said: 'Here, right in front of the battery.' I do not remember the reply he made, but I dropped my reins and took up my glasses to look at them, and just at that moment down came their pieces, rifles and muskets, and probably there never was such a destructive fire for a few minutes. It seemed as though every man and horse of that battery just laid right down and died right off. It was half a minute - it seemed longer - before I could get my horse down out of the fire. I went to the marines and halloed to them to hurry on. Their officers were standing behind them keeping them in ranks; but the destruction of the battery was so complete that the marines and zouaves seemed to be struck with such astonishment, such consternation, that they could not do anything. There were probably 100 muskets fired from the zouaves and marines - not over that; and what they did fire was ineffective. They began to break and run down the hill, and nothing could stop them, and then the enemy rushed right over there like a lowering cloud - right over the batteries."
                    - Testimony of Colonel William W. Averell, January 28, 1862. Report of the Joint Committee on the Conduct of War, Part II (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1863) p. 216.

Eric
                    Last edited by Dignann; 07-17-2007, 12:04 PM. Reason: Misidentified regiment
                    Eric J. Mink
                    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
                    X