Breaking in a Forage Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Breaking in a Forage Cap

If you really need that hat to fit, I wouldn't recommend soaking it with water. If it's cut wrong, there's also a pretty good chance that it wasn't preshrunk either. You could end up with something so small a child couldn't wear it. If you really need this hat, place it under a heavy weight (a stack of books, say: I would say sit on it, but I don't know whether you fit the description of a heavy weight :) ) and leave it for a while. It should tame enough not to look silly. Also, experiment with angles on you head to wear it. And, this too can be turned for good. Get a period experience out of it. Not every man got a cap that fit. While you're making it work, you're experiencing the same frustrations that young Johnny experienced when he enlisted for that pretty blue suit, and now it just looks silly on him.
    Rob Weaver
    Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Soaking it will work fine. Use warm water, get it good and wet then wear it until it is dry, shaping it as necessary. Wearing it prevents it from shrinking so that it wont fit and forming it to your body. Works for all headgear, leather boots, Army Beret, etc...
      I am, etc.
      Thomas Gingras
      Awkward Squad Mess
      Columbia Rifles
      Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

I love my cap from Brad Keune. He was affordable, but when I got it back in 2000 or so and I thought he was in retirement from making them, does anyone know if he is still making them?

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
        Nick ************, Greg Starbuck, Paul Smith, Joe Covais, Joe Blunt, Brad Keune, Chris Semancik, Joel Bohy, Don Smith, Mike Anderson. Some still in the biz, some not, but all pass muster. Find a used or new one from these men and you are good to go. A lot of choices!

If I left somebody good out gang, please add.

Brett "Homer" Keen
        Chicago
        [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

To echo other posts, there's no substitute for a decent reproduction forage cap and most "mainstream" headgear just cannot ever measure up.

That said, take a look at those photos of Civil War Yanks of the Potomac army again, all wearing forage caps. In each group photo there's almost always one who's hat appears to "stand right up", and if you check out originals (and even better-made repros) you will note that they do not "flop over" to the front or side the way a lot of "mainstream" repro forage caps do. Rather, the flat top of the forage cap usually just "sits" atop the head, with a nearly-horizontal surface.

Here's a few photos of REENACTORS with decent repro forage caps. Note how the caps "sit" on the head.

Some Maine boys:

Some Ohio boys, including Heinrich Schmidt:

An Ontario boy and a hatless western New Yorker:

A bunch of guys in forage caps:

A bunch of non-comms, including a Grumpy fellow in the middle

Well, you get the idea...

Comment

There does come a point when a forage cap is too tall. There was some mainstream stuff back in the day as tall as 10". The crown flopped over the brim by a couple of inches. I have seen a more recent version of one of these. Somebody is still using that concept as a basis for thiers.
            The other thing that makes them "stand up" is pulling them down on the back of your head. Look at real photos and see how they wore thiers.
            There is a nice photo posted in that section of the forum. I copied it and brought it to this thread. Notice the caps in this one.

Another

Our website was redesigned, and many items have moved during the transition. But we have some ways of helping you locate the information you're looking for:
            Last edited by whitewashedreb; 07-17-2007, 12:44 PM. Reason: added information
            Martin Kinney
            Western Nebraska

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Weaver View Post
              I would say sit on it, but I don't know whether you fit the description of a heavy weight :)
              When I'm not reenacting I'm playing offensive line, so I'd have to say definatly.
              Tim Koenig

Comment

Working...
              X