Clipping the nails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping the nails

Here is something that i randomly thought about in my sleep last night. How did soldiers go about cutting thier nails. Were there period nail clippers or something just curious thanks

BEN
    Pvt. Benjamin N. Jenkins
    Muddy Water Mess

<b>Do NOT buy from this User</b>

Re: Clipping the nails

I hope you didn't miss much sleep over that one.

Chew on it for awhile and I think you'll have your answer.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Well I always wondered when I would get to post this image.
      Attached Files
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Finger Nail Triming

This question has been with me for some time now. How did people of the 1850's-1860's trim their finger nails?

Another question. I seriously doubt that if their was a method of finger nail cutting, that troops would be cutting their nails while on campaign. Has anybody found evidence to the contrary?

OH, and I know that trimming has two m's just forgot one in the title.:tounge_sm
        Andrew Turner
        Co.D 27th NCT
        Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

A quick search of Google Books revealed quite a bit of historic information on hygiene for those willing to look and I'm sure there are other sources out there as well.

One particularly good resource was Economy of the hands and feet, fingers and toes, by an old army surgeon (London, 1830.)

Also of interest was the The Dictionary of Trade Products, Manufacturing, and Technical Terms (London, 1855)which listed the following:
          NAIL-BRUSH, a toilet brush for scrubbing and cleaning the finger nails.
          NAIL-FILE, a small file for smoothing the fingernails.
          NAIL-SCISSORS, small short scissors, with files on the sides, for trimming the finger nails.
          NAIL-TRIMMER, an Instrument for cutting and paring the finger nails.
          I also found this passage from Notes and Queries By Martim de Albuquerque interesting:
          Extreme Ignorance and Superstition.-- In a large village in Dorsetshire, not far from the county town, an intelligent man went recently into the house of a somewhat respectable woman who keeps a general shop in the village, and who is the mother of a numerous family; and seeing her with a large family Bible open before her, and several of her children collected around, while she was cutting and paring their finger nails, and so holding their hands as that their cuttings might drop on the leaves of the Bible, he asked her why she did this. Suspecting, by her manner, that she had some object in view, judge of his surprise, when she replied :—"I always, when I cut the nails of my children, let the cuttings fall on the open Bible, that they may grow up to be honest. They will never steal, if the nails are cut over the Bible!!" Do we not yet require the educator to be abroad?
          T. We.
          I also found a few interesting post war patents:
          IMPROVEMENT IN FINGER-NAIL TRIMMERS 1875
          IMPROVEMENT IN FINGER-NAIL TRIMMERS 1876
          FINGER-NAIL TRIMMER 1881 (should look Familiar)
          FINGER-NAIL TRIMMER 1881 (should look Familiar)
          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: Finger Nail Triming

Originally posted by 27thNCdrummer View Post
            This question has been with me for some time now. How did people of the 1850's-1860's trim their finger nails?

Another question. I seriously doubt that if their was a method of finger nail cutting, that troops would be cutting their nails while on campaign. Has anybody found evidence to the contrary?
            Below are some quotes that will answer your first question. I tried to answer this question earlier but for some reason the thread had been closed but now it is apparently whatever was wrong is fixed now.

Although most of the books that I have on personal hygiene, one book, The Habits of Good Society: A Handbook for Ladies and Gentlemen (1857) did suggest that a small pen-knife of "stumpy nail-scissors" be used for cleaning the nails. The section also recommended that the corners of the nails be filed and the nails should be cut but never be bitten (this advice was obviously for finger nails).

In another book, Female Beauty by Mrs. Walker (1840) there was quite a long section on nail care. Even though it was a book for females, I think that parts of it was applicable for men also.
            "For this purpose [trimming the nails], there is a little instrument called a nail-knife. This
            instrument is flat and sharp at one end, which is the knife: the other end resembles the extremity of an ear-pick, and serves to clean the nails."
            "They should be cut to a level with the tips of the fingers, which they are intended to preserve. If left too long, they are liable to break; and if cut off too short, they will not then protect the fingers sufficiently from shocks and frictions that may injure the tips."

One item that I did find in both books was that pieces of glass were used to scrape the top of the nails in order to smooth the ridges on the nails and then beeswax was used on the nails.

I realize that soldiers would not be able to care properly for their hands and nails but basic nail care would be important to prevent infection at the site of hangnails and problems of torn nails. It would be especially important that soldiers care for their toe nails to prevent ingrown toe nails and too long nail which would cause their socks to wear unevenly.
            Virginia Mescher
            vmescher@vt.edu
            http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Re: Finger Nail Triming

Ben,

A sharp pocketknife works just fine for cleaning, trimming, and shaping both finger and toe nails. In a pinch, a trade knife will work, too. Funny, but I last remember this question being asked in early 2002, and remember showing the fellow how to use a knife on his nails at a camp of instruction.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

From the LOC collection this member of the 71st New York demonstrates an "Excelsior Style" pedicure.
                Last edited by roundshot; 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM.
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

You have all the nail clippers you will ever need in your mouth.
                  James Duffney
                  61st NY
                  Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Duff View Post
                    You have all the nail clippers you will ever need in your mouth.
                    So how exactly do they work when I need to clip my toenails? :D

Hank Trent
                    hanktrent@voyager.net
                    Hank Trent

Comment

learn yoga ;)
                      James Duffney
                      61st NY
                      Brave Peacock Mess

Comment

I use a D-Guard Bowie:tounge_sm
                        [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Civilian grooming

My GG Grandmother came from a plantion in Sumpter SC after the war. Family history has it that these belonged to her. I would be interested in any one can date these items.

The tubular case has a screw top and the implements of care are inside including a nail clipper. The other item appears to be made of ivory and has an ear wax remover, nail file and a pointey thing that I am not sure of the use. These may not have been used by soldiers but if family history is correct they are period.
                          Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM.
                          Jim Mayo
                          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Your answer is over 3,000 years old.

When you go out to war against your enemies, and the LORD your God gives them into your hand and you take them captive, and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and you desire to take her to be your wife, and you bring her home to your house, she shall shave her head and pare her nails.

- Deuteronomy 21:10-14
                            Getting any ideas?
                            Robert Carter
                            69th NYSV, Co. A
                            justrobnj@gmail.com
                            www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

As for me and my pards, we like to let our nails grow a little on the long side. It makes it easier to climb up trees.

Jon O'Harra
                              Heartless Bastards Mess
                              Jon O'Harra
                              Heartless Bastards Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X