Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original blanket - CW or IW?

Friends:
    This may be the wrong forum, but I'll give it a go...
    Several months back I bought a very old army blanket. It is wool and measures 66" by 80". The centered US appears to be machine stitched. Three inch end stripes are woven, not painted. It has numerous holes and repaired areas.
    My thinking is Indian War or possibly Span Am. But, weave is a match for my Sekala CW issue.
    Any opinions?

Mark Warren
    Hairy Nation Boys
    Bloomfield, Iowa
    Last edited by Chihuahua; 05-21-2008, 05:29 PM.
    [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
    "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
    Mark Warren
    Bloomfield, Iowa

Re: Original blanket - CW or IW?

Just an educated opinion, but when a few of us down here in Tampa were gearing up for the 100 year anniversary of the SpanAm war, there were a few guys who geared up with some original blankets found from a site, and as they arrived, the first thing we noticed was their resemblance to CW blankies. As more research was done, it was discovered there were several items that were issued to the boys of '98 that the boys of '61-65 got, including blankets, canteens (retrofitted to a different strap and stopper, etc), trousers, and some shirts. I would would be willing to say you may have received one of those original surplus blankets that never saw CW issue but was made for the conflict and reissued either during the Indian Wars or SpanAm.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Mark,
      It may possibly be an early 20th century military blanket. Here's a link to an excellent article written by Vincent Petty concerning the subject.

I'll see you this coming weekend at Athens!

Darrek Orwig

Comment

Also beyond blankets, a pard of mine picked up a span am knapsack which for all intesive purposes was an untarred late war style double bag. Identical to CW double bags as far as my eyes could tell, but just plain canvas.

Brett "Homer" Keen
        Chicago
        [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Working...
        X