No announcement yet.

Why cant we form 100 man companies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why cant we form 100 man companies?

Dale,
    If the numbers of an actual company in the 6th Mississippi were 100 men at the time of Shiloh then yes. But looking at the information on the 6th Mississippi, it's highly unlikely. There were a little over 450 engaged in the regiment that day. When time gets closer I'm hoping to make some trips up to Jackson, and would enjoy having you and Dennis along researching.

Here's a quote from (then) Colonel Cleburne: "Again and again the Sixth Mississippi, unaided, charged the enemy's line, and it was only when the regiment had lost 300 officers and men killed and wounded, out of an aggregate of 425, that it yielded and retreated in disorder over its own dead and dying. Colonel Thornton, Major Lowry, the field officers, were both wounded. It would be useless to enlarge on the courage and devotion of the Sixth Mississippi." *

*Official Records; Series I vol. X, pt 1, pg 581.

To date, one of the largest companies I have been a part of was the Southern Guard/ONV/WIG program at Stone's River a few years ago. Seemed like blue as far as you could see.
    Last edited by coastaltrash; 11-07-2007, 11:32 PM.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

• Re: Why cant we form 100 man companies?

Thanks, I would like to be apart of that team. The Company Roster that I have from Company G reads like a modern day phone book. I had 7 ancestors who marched off with the 6th Mississippi. Company G Rockport Steel Blades...This could really be fun. BTW...Grady Howells book "Going to meet the Yankees"...Bloody Sixth, has alot of info.
      Last edited by Dale Beasley; 11-08-2007, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Re: Anatomy of a 100 man company

Originally posted by paulcalloway View Post
        [Bealeton, Va. Officers and noncommissioned officers of Co. D, 93d New York Infantry] by Timothy O'Sullivan. August 1863.
        Link to the image

[Bealeton, Va. Company G, 93d New York Infantry] by Timothy O'Sullivan. August 1863.
        Link to the image
        Oh Oh! don't tell Kevin OB, but there's a company drummer with Herringbone Lace on his Frock coat......
        RJ Samp
        (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
        X