Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Your Biggest Auction Horror Story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Biggest Auction Horror Story?

Just curious to see what auction horror stories I can dredge up from AC members.

Here's my contribution, which just occurred today. I went to a local auction, here in Lafayette, Indiana, at which a fair amount of GAR memorabilia and CW soldier ferrotypes and ambros were being offered. Included with this lot was a "Civil War fife," which eventually sold separately for the sum of $110 + tax & buyer's premium.

Just one little problem: the instrument was, in fact, nothing more than one of those "Williamsburg" black plastic beginner's fifes, which currently sell for about $10 new (and about $1 used, if it's in good condition).

I was very tempted to tell the proud and excited owner precisely what he had just purchased. However discretion precluded me from doing so since I'm a) not into sadism and b) can't stand to see a grown man cry.

I await your horror stories with bated breath.....

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: What's Your Biggest Auction Horror Story?

We wont bring up the auction this summer when I picked up a perfect m1855 for $800 and a very nice m1863 for $350.00, or the one auction where I got a very nice 1862 Tower for $125.00. Got the bayonet for it for $5.00

I think this is suppose to be horror sories of other people. About 25 years ago, I went to a farm action because they had a Civil War musket (m1842) The musket was so rusted the bayonet was rusted on (unmoveable) the lower sling swivel was rusted off, the lock was so rusted that the hammer was half gone and rusted in place. The barrel was just plain rust. The stock was horrible. I watched in disbelief was the bidding got over $2,700.00. Remember, this was 25 years ago!

Weed
    John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
    The Hard Head Mess
    The Old Northwest Volunteers
    5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
    Civil War Battlefield Preservation
    Sons of American Revolution
    Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
    Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
    Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

"I watched in disbelief was the bidding got over $2,700.00."

Yes, John, but wasn't this the very same musket that:
      - was used to avenge Ellsworth's asassin?
      - fired the first shot at the Battle of Gettysburg?
      - and was carried by the last private in the rear rank of the last regiment in the Grand Review?

No wonder it fetched such a price!

Although nothing like the deal (some would say steal) you got on that original drum you told me about saving from becoming a lamp, I once purchased an interesting G.A.R. member badge at a local antique show that will someday get me a significant return on my $20 investment. It didn't resemble the G.A.R. badges I and the dealer were familiar with at all -- because it was one of the FIRST style of badges and -- I found out later after talking with a local authority on things G.A.R. -- it is worth much, much more.

Ever forward,
      Paul
      Paul Hadley

Comment

Actually, it was one of the muskets that one of Col. Robert E. Lee's men used to sub do John Brown's men at Harpers Ferry (they had picked it up near the arsenal, so the autioneer said) supposedly in some round about way, it made it to Gettysburg and it had the distrinction of firing the LAST shot durring Picket's Charge. (The bullett that killed General Reynolds was at that auction, but I for got about that) I guess that is why the rusted m1842 went for $2,700.00, when a perfect one was going for about $200.00 Now it makes sence.

Yes the original eagle drumb that almost made a perfectly good lamp table for some idiot, but the $50.00 was a little to high and I agreed with him (at the time) it probably wasn't original!:wink_smil

Weed
        Last edited by weed; 09-09-2007, 09:47 PM.
        John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
        The Hard Head Mess

Sons of Union Veterans

Ancestors:

Comment

Almost forgot the time in 1986 that I found "artist proof" #13 of one of Don Trointti's first paintings still in the original shrink wrapping at that antique shop in Boseman, Montana for $40. Of course I had to talk them down to $30 just for a "Civil War print" My friend, the late Howie Maddus sold for me for $1,650 in less than a week.

Then there is the one were Paul McKee got the $5 Hardee Hat at an antique show at the local shopping mall.

I won;t even get into some of the Dave Taylor (dealer) stories I know:confused_
          Last edited by weed; 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM.
          John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
          The Hard Head Mess

Sons of Union Veterans

Ancestors:

Comment

Actually Weed, the antique dealer wanted $15 for the original Hardee hat, but I had the gall to talk him down to $5 because it had been sat on.

Paul McKee
            Paul McKee

Comment

Back to horror stories............

This one was related to me by one of my collector friends in the First Minnesota. He spotted a Hardee hat in a local antique shop. Looked pretty good - picked it up and spotted the owner's name - another member of our unit! He had to break the news to the antique shop owner, who had paid hundreds for it at an auction, that it was a reproduction and not worth the $1500.00 asking price. This all happened 15 years ago, prices have changed since then!

Jim Moffet
              Co. A, Minnesota First

Comment

Weed, for heavens sake man, use SPelchek!
                And Weed, do you recall the spiffy Enfield musket (original) I bought at the mall in Milton? I paid the full $375.00 for it as I was from Chicago, while the rest of you locals were hoping it would not sell and the price would go down. You chased me around the campfire with a loaded Colt SAA that night.
                I still have that Enfield!
                Steve Sullivan

Comment

Ya Steve

What a deal for you and I was an idiot chasing you around with that pistal. Thank GOD you forgave me!!!

As I did not make it to the Chicago Civil War Show this weekend, how OVER PRICED did D.T. have his items for?

Weed
                  Last edited by weed; 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM.
                  John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                  The Hard Head Mess

Sons of Union Veterans

Ancestors:

Comment

Life is too short to hold grunges.
                    D.T. was there only for a few hours during set-up on Friday.
                    You could bowl in the isles by noon.
                    Good source for books, very expensive other goodies. Slim pickings for campaigners who had not robbed a payroll wagon or two.
                    Roberts of Arabia was there (as a tourist)! Saw no one else from the 33rd.
                    My first show in four years, and last.
                    Steve Sullivan

Comment

My good fortune was the 1863 Tower Enfield I found in a "Juntique" shop in the middle of Virginia Beach about ten years ago... I had to talk the owner down from $175 to $125 because the hammer was missing... later picked one up at the Richmond CW show for seventy-five bucks so I have $200. for an all original Enfield. My horror story was buying young Sam a pair of original drumsticks for around that same price at that show. The sad part was that my old hound, (the original) Mudflap, ate one of them a few weeks later. I also recall the family heirloom 1858 Sharps carbine that my dad willed my nephew down in Florida... he doesn't recall where he put it....

Don Harrelson

Comment

Working...
                      X