Question about the book "Soldier's Heart"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the book "Soldier's Heart"

Mods -- please move elsewhere if appropriate.

I was contacted by a middle school teacher who is looking for a reenactor or two who will give a presentation. She said that she assigned her students to read Soldier's Heart by Gary Paulsen. I'm not familiar with the book other than that it's been rated as being for ages 9 - 12, and the little I've gleaned from some reviews.

Before I trot off to the children's section of the public library to see what I can find, can anyone comment on it from the perspective of reenactors who will be the book's "chaser", especially in terms of content that we might build on, or errors egregious enough that might bear refutation?

thanks
    Ron Myzie

Re: Question about the book "Soldier's Heart"

Ron - it is an interesting book. Charlie Goddard was 15 years old when he enlisted in the 1st Minnesota immediately following Ft Sumter. The book is fiction, but the soldier was real (his real photo is on the cover) so the author uses his letters and the well documented history of the unit to weave a story about his war time and immediate post war experiences (he died at only 19 years old in 1866). It is a rather sad book, and speculates that he either committed suicide due to depression and broken health, or the war eventually killed him due to failing health.

The author is attempting to write a young person's book on the Civil War, so it is a bit simplistic, but a good effort given the target audience. The kids in the class will get it, and you can really flesh out what young Charlie and his comrades went through. The suicide part will be tough but the rest, OK.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Ron,

A good book to read to go along with this is The Last Full Measure: The Life and Death of the First Minnesota Volunteers by Richard Moe. Both are good books. And for a children's book Soldier's Heart is very good like Doug says. And I used to be an elementary school librarian so I have read a few children's books. Hope that helps.
      Timothy J. Koehn
      Boone's Louisiana Battery
      Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
      http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Ron,
        I can speak from a double perspective here.

First, I work in an Intermediate school in southern New York as a teaching assisstant. The 7th grade US history classes read Soldier's Heart. For the length of the story, it paints a interesting, and at times graphic picture of the war, told from the perspective of a boy who was about the age of many of the books readers. The book describes such things as a wounded soldier committing suicide, sutlers selling pies for what the soldiers believe to be too much money (25 cents), gruff sergeants yelling at the privates to clean their weapons etc. As stated before, it is an excellent book. The one problem with it is that the boy is only in four battles: 1st Bull Run, an unamed battle probably Antietam, another unamed battle, and Gettysburg, but it seems like Bull Run and Antietam were fought only days apart, and Gettysburg was right after the third battle.

Second, I did an in-class demonstration for one of the teachers. I found that the book worked well as a lead-in. The book was so detailed on what a soldier's reaction were during a fight that I didn't have to explain much about what the battles were like, other than the fact that battles were few and far between in the life of a soldier. I was able to stick to camp life and how boring it was.

Some things I did that the kids seemed to love, and the teacher thought worked well
        1) Have a student (particularly one that is really into the presentation) run you through the manual of arms. Just type out a list and have them read it slowly. Number the steps and call out the number so they know which one to read
        2) Write out a letter and read it to them. I read my "last letter home" and all the kids were silent
        3) Drink from your canteen. Not only is it impressive to see, but standing up in front of a class of kids makes you thirsty
        4) If you dress as Confederate, explain and give the Rebel Yell
        5) Be carefull on the tile floors

Good luck!!!
        Rob Weber
        3d Alabama

When the blast of war blows in your ears, then shall ye good men imitate the actions of the tiger!!! Stiffen thy sinews, summon up thy blood, disguise thy fair nature with hard favored RAGE!!! -- William Shakespeare, Henry V, Act 3, sc. 1

Comment

"Soldier's Heart" is probably the best novel for that age group that's still in print and easily accessible today. I would rather see a class read it than the much-touted but dull "Across Five Aprils." "Soldier's Heart" is grim at times, detailing some documentable but gruesome events in the life of the 1 Minn. The action is solid and the book moves right along. I read it in one sitting, but I read pretty quickly.
          Has anyone ever read a little novel published in the early 60's titled "Jeb?" I found a copy at a used book sale and found it to be both a thoughtful and charming little book.
          Rob Weaver
          Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
          "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
          [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Yes I read the book back in elementary school. I got a lot out of it. I just didn't know as much then as I do now. I thought it was a pretty good book, pretty easy for me to read while in the 5th or 6th grade. No mismatched vocabulary that would push a youngin' away.
            Joshua Schweickhardt

Comment

Kind of a side note, but I used to live in Winona, MN where the "real" Charley Goddard elisted in Co. K of the 1st. Minn. I have a nephew who lives there that isnt quited old enough for this book, but I have been wanting to get it for him, being a boy from the same town. I used to visit Charleys grave quite frequently. He is in beutiful Woodlawn Cemetary. Unfortunatly his grave is not in the best shape. The stone in broken in half and leaning against the base. I was contemplating starting a campaign to get the thing fixed, but circumstances moved me away. Its on my list of things I would like to do.
              David Casey

Comment

I have found the book, IMHO, one of the better works for youth on the Civil War. The kids can relate to the young man quite well... he wasn't that much older than most you'll be dealing w/. It's graphic and detailed w/ enough of a real story behind it to keep the interest. I've been asked more questions about the 1st MN because of that book... a worthwhile read whether an adult or youth.

My own most effective presentation bit is actually dressing a volunteer up in full kit, minus a rifle and bayonet, then taking off each piece of a equipment one at a time detailing not only its weight but its purpose. It's eye opening for the kids to actually see 70 odd pounds arrayed on someone their size... though in my case I never actually fill the gear w/ that full 70 odd pounds.
                Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                SUVCW Camp 48
                American Legion Post 352
                [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

To all who contributed comments and PMs -- many thanx! We (Bill Watson as Confederate & I as Federal) did our presentation this morning to a large and appreciative audience of 7th graders. We did the basic "knapsack / haversack / weapons platform" talk; the kids had many intelligent and well thought out questions; none silly or trivial. There were far more questions than we'd ever have time to answer. We were impressed. The teachers gave each of us a copy of the book as a token of thanks. I'd expect future invitations from them.

thanks again
                  Ron Myzie

Comment

Working...
                  X