Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Magazine Civil War Illustrations

Dear Folks ,
    Back in the 1960's Life Magazine ran a Civil War series. The third part of the series was "Anatomy of Two Foes ," by Bell Irwin Wiley and featured color line drawing illustrations of Civil War soldiers by G. Woodbridge . I have never seen these reproduced anywhere nor can I locate them on any web site. Has anyone any information or remember this series ?
    all for the old flag ,
    David Corbett
    Dave Corbett

Re: Life Magazine Civil War Illustrations

Us older guys sure enough do. They also produced a companion booklet in 1963 called "Great Battles of the Civil War" which included most of the wonderful illustrations, many by George Woodbridge, Tom Lovell, and others. Attached are a couple of samples of the artwork from my copy.
    Last edited by roundshot; 01-20-2008, 04:32 PM.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,

I'm a boomer and just purchased that wonderful little book, complete and in great shape off of ebay. My original, which my mom bought for me when I was but a young lad has seen better days so finding this mint one was a real find. I actually cam across a fellow selling life magazines a while back and he had copies of all the magazines that made up that series. It was pretty cool to browse. I also new a life magazine collector who showed me the 1956? edition with the story of Albert Woolson death. Very cool.
      By the way, didn't know George Woodbridge was an illustrator for the famous MAD magazine.
      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

I have three issues. I got them from an antique dealer.

Claude Sinclair
        Claude Sinclair
        Palmetto Battalion

Comment

I've had that "Great Battles" magazine since I was 11. It was formative for me! The drawings of individual regiments have become famous, and were replinted in a number of different settings. They have inspired distinctive "types" that still show up in illustrations about the Civil War in the popular market. For instance, I've seen the pose of the 2nd Wis drummer used in an Osprey book, and recently a text with photos of the items in the Philadelphia Civil War library had a picture of a 2nd Wis drummer. Different pose, but identical uniform! The 20th Tenn pose has likewise become archtypal. Those pictures were among the first things to open my eyes to the wide differences in clothing and equipment used by even the same army.
          I've always been fond of the special paintings which were commissioned for that series of articles. The Ellsworth picture is memorable, as is the Battle of the Crater.
          Rob Weaver
          Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
          "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
          [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Woodbridges illustrations can be found in the Coy of military Historian's
            book on the ACW period, along side Frederick Ray, Charles McBarron
            and others. Lovell's are harder to find, about the only two places I can
            think of are a set pf prints that were available through (Grenwich workshop?)
            in the late 80s, and in a book on Lovell's art, which is probably available through
            amazon. Woodbridge did have a set of prints available for a while....I believe there
            was 6 of them? You might be able to track down a set by googling his name.

As far as i know, he never had a website, but i do know there are several
            art galleries out there that did carry the prints. Mr. Woodbridge passed away
            either last January, or two years ago, january. Mr. Lovell has also passed.
            Jeff Prechtel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
            -Cezanne

Comment

Here's a public site with some of Woodbridge's Line drawings from the Life series that can be enlarged:

This is the ony place I have seen the Yank/Reb uniform studies reproduced.
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

How well I remember the Life magazine series on the ACW. I clipped them out of the magazine and I still have them. The George Woodbridge drawings were my favorite, but his union soldier with a feather in his forage cap started an affectation that can still be seen today.
                [FONT=Times New Roman]Charles Hollis[/FONT]

Comment

I just recieved a copy of LIFE GREAT BATTLES OF THE CIVIL WAR.
                  Complete with the driving tour map( before RT 95).
                  It brought back many memorys , I read this and Bruce Cattons ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE C.W., over and over again in elementary school ( late 1960's), this helped get me hooked.
                  It was about 9$ w/ shipping off of EBAY.
                  I clearly remembered the painting of Hoods Troops in farmer D.R. Millers cornfield, especially the soldier with the clay jug as a canteen.
                  A great post, if I hadnt seen it, I would not have pursued this gem.
                  Sincerly
                  Bob Brewer
                  Robert Brewer

Comment

Dear Sir ,
                    Hood's Texans in the Cornfield inspired me as a lad too. I always liked the feller firing his musket in shirt sleeves with long sideburns . It should be a mural in Texas ! Ah yes , and the Gallant Pelham , and Dick Dowling , and Mosby ....
                    all for the old flag ,
                    David Corbett
                    Dave Corbett

Comment

Gentlemen,

Would that I could lay my hands on my copy of Life Magazine's Great Battles of the Civil War. Wish I still had those magazine issues also.

As a kid I read that Life Magazine series over & over, whilst imagining myself in the illustrations. My brothers & I would go down to the creek & replay those conflicts with our cap guns. The water moccasins we would kill were given special designation as enemy soldiers.

I would ceaselessly quiz my great grandmother about the campaigns featured in each new issue of Life Magazine. She would patiently tell of her father's experiences in Hood's Texas Brigade & her father-in-law's adventures in Walker's Texas Division. Unfortunately, 7-10 year olds make woefully inadequate historians, & to this day I bitterly regret not getting everything down on paper. I'm writing out what's remembered, but there are details I'd appreciate being able to ask about now.

Anyone know in what issues Life Magazine ran the series?

Regards,
                      [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
                      [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
                      16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
                      22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
                      &
                      [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
                      4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

LIFE Magazine January 6, 1961 The Civil War (First issue)
                        [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                        X