Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood, Sweat, and Tear; The Summer Sewing Project

- Foreword,

This project was the Very first major sewing project I have undertook. Many mistakes may have been made. I have no claim that I am a seamster . Most of what I have learned has been through trial and error. The main reason for this article is to show that even a person with minimal sewing skills can complete an authentic looking garment. I apologize for not taking pictures during construction of the garment. I did not have a digital camera or access to one at that time.

- Introduction

We all have done it, a “Summer Project”. As the heat and humidity of summer drive us indoors, we seek new ways to entertain ourselves,(or torture). Nestled inside my air conditioned fortress, I undertook an interesting project. This is the story of one such project.

- The Beginning

Research-
    Looking through the droves of posts here on the AC, I came to a conclusion. I wanted to stay away from the look that the “Richmond Depot” jacket had. As I attend mostly western reenactments, I feel that a RD jacket had been vastly overdone out west. I always was interested in the “Columbus Depot” and other deep south depots.
    Looking through the approved vendors list and came across Wambaugh, White and Company. I was drawn to the Ross County four button CS jacket kit. I was interested in the history and application of this jacket.
    The kit can be found at;
    http://www.wwandcompany.com/4buttonkit.html

Purchasing -
    Making sure that funding was available, I called Mr Wambaugh. I spoke to him for a good 30 minutes about the history behind the jacket and its construction. After I was satisfied with my choice, I placed my order. Within two or three day I had the package arrive at my doorstep. Being that I was traveling out of town I couldn't start the project then. I checked the box and laid everything out to get a scope of the task before me.
    The fabric was an interesting to say the least. With no wrong or right side it was a challenge to know what side I needed to use. Pins are a wonderful thing to mark what side your using. I was impressed with the quality of the workmanship in the fabric kudos to Ben Tart.

- Measure Twice, Cut Once

The first step of the project was the pocket and pocket welt. I found this to be the most difficult part of the entire project. Either because of my lack of skill or not understanding what the directions implied. We all know the old saying “Measure twice, Cut once”. For me its “Measure Four times, Cut Once, Still get it wrong”. This was probably one of the biggest mistakes I made. I cut the pocket welt opening too large. This almost sidelined the project for good. Discouraged at my mistake I moved on. The next few steps went much easier.

-Smooth Sailing

The following steps I sailed right through with no difficulty. Running stitch and back stitch mostly. How bad is it when you have to look online to see how to do a running stitch? I will raise my hand to that one, better to admit your shortcomings that to be ignorant to them.

- Speed bump

At this point, I was a few weeks into the project. I had most of the facing pieces sewn together. Spending a few hours a week doing the project. School work took up most of my time. I came to a difficult and potentially important choice around this time. Do I follow the directions exactly, or do I follow what I feel like I should like it. The question was, do I finish the collar as specified with an overcast stitch? I do not know exactly how to describe the way I attached the two collar pieces. Best way is to say it is attached like how the facing pieces are attached to one another. Looking back I probably should have followed the directions but, THIS IS MY COAT. I used a construction method that was available at the time and both ways look pretty much the same.

This images shows the construction of the collar.

Few weeks had gone by before I finished attaching the lining to the body. At this point the jacket was taking shape. I could start to see the finished product. Sleeve construction went fast and without any major troubles. Attachment of the sleeves was a bit tricky. With a bit of help from a more experienced, I was able to attach the sleeves. At this point I had an almost finished project. I still had buttonholes to do.

Sleeve lining attachment to the body.

Top Stitching along the parameter.

Cuff construction.

- Pride and Joy

Buttonholes, where to start. These simple little things required some of my most intense attention and concentration. I estimated I spent an hour and a half to two hours per buttonhole. I made some of the smallest stitches possible with OUTSTANDING results. Four buttonholes and 4 button attachments later I had a finished Jacket.

-The Finished Product

-Mistakes

This sections is for images of my mistakes. Laugh, scoff, or whatever floats your boat. We all make mistakes, its all part of learning.

My attempt at the darning stitch to close the hole I cut too large.

My poorly done grommet hole. I play to redo this one when I get some free time.

Seam allowance not matching up.

Close up of seam allowance.

-Conclusion

Three months after I started I now have a finished jacket. I must say I have come to realize many things. The workmanship that people put into authentic reproductions far outweighs the cost. $200 - $400 for products is cheap considering what work goes into the production of these garments we all wear. I have new respect for anyone that produces any type of accurate coat or jacket in quantity.

I must say this project has been an excellent learning experience. It may not be something I'll do over again, at least in the near future. I want to personally thank Mr Wambaugh for taking the time to talk about his product. It shows true passion for what you sell if you take the time to answer every question about your products. My hats off to you Dan.

I hope you enjoyed reading and seeing what I have done this summer.
    God Bless
    Last edited by pgoudeau; 09-23-2007, 01:11 PM.
    Paul Goudeau
    Tick Creek Troublemakers

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Vegetius

Re: Blood, Sweat, and Tear; The Summer Sewing Project

Paul,
    I enjoyed reading your words and seeing the end result. I think you captured it acurately when you title it blood, sweat, and tears, because that is exactly what goes into every good reproduction (and alot of bad ones too, for that matter). I'm glad you got to see for yourself what goes into creating a garment, and you started out with one of the harder ones right off the bat. You've got alot to be proud of in taking on that project. I think that most of the best craftsmen in the hobby started out by making stuff for themselves and for their pards, and for a variety of reasons - to save money, to feed the creative need in some, and for some it was to make something better than what was currently available. There will always be some mistakes when you make something, but if you go about it right, there will be more discoveries and some "eureka" moments when you discover the right way or better way to do something. Whether its welted pockets, buttonholes, topstitching, or any other facet of a garment, it can take several years to be truly proficient. I've been sewing for several years and some things I make turn out great and some things I leave to the professionals, but above all, I try to learn something from every item, be it a quicker or more efficient way to make it, or to tighten up the stitching just so. Thanks for sharing your labors and best of luck in the future endeavors.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Thank you Ross, Thank you ever so much. You don't know how much your words mean to me. I hope to see you at one of the FL events. I'll make sure you can see the jacket in person if you like.
      Paul Goudeau
      Tick Creek Troublemakers

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Vegetius

Comment

Well, you sew a lot better than I do. I spent the last 2 hours just putting trim on my frock for next weekend.
        Chris Suppelsa

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. I've been teetering on the brink of sewing something over the winter (starting with drawers, most likely) and I do believe this post is about to push me over the edge.
          [B]Jeff Tatarek[/B]
          94th OVI and Sgt.Maj. (God help us all) to the Army of Ohio
          ---
          [SIZE="1"]“I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes.”[/SIZE]
          [SIZE="1"][i]---William Tecumseh Sherman[/i][/SIZE]

Comment

I am attempting to sew my own (comparatively easy) US fatigue blouse and have new found appreciation for the production of garments. You did well with this project.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Yes, those pockets are hell the first time you do them!! I gotta admire someone who decides to learn to swim by grabbing an anvil and jumping into the deep end of the pool! All things considered, you did a darned good job!

When sewing something for the first time, I have found it very useful to have a finished example to work from. This was especially true the first time I made a pair of trousers.

Keep at it! There is much more pride in ownership when you've made something yourself!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Hopefully my story will inspire others to try something new.
                Paul Goudeau
                Tick Creek Troublemakers

Comment

Everytime I've made something, it makes me appreciate the hard work of my foremothers. And that I don't have to sew all or most of my own and my family's clothes, put up all the food, and bake bread and cook from scratch EVERY single day.

Those people were tough people.:thinking:
                  [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Joanna Norris Forbes[/FONT]

Comment

Paul,

You ought to move your collar detail out of the mistake column, here's a shot of the original:

The effect you achieved can ONLY be accomplished by assembling the jacket the correct way, and you honestly did a better job of replicating the original than you give yourself credit for!

Excellent work! You have something there that you really should be proud of, especially for a first time project. I appreciate you taking your time on the buttonholes and making them look so nice, while the original jacket overall was very roughly put together, the buttonholes are of an excellent quality which is a detail that certainly shouldn't be overlooked.

Thank you again for your business and for the feedback on your experience!

Best,
                    Dan Wambaugh
                    Wambaugh, White, & Company
                    www.wwandcompany.com
                    517-303-3609
                    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Working...
                    X