This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the maker of this knapsack?

Does anyone know who the maker of this pack is?

The fella I bought it from doesn't recall who the seller was.

I got it at a real good price, so I'm not sweating it any.

But, being that I haven't received the pack yet, I am unable to analyze the details; I cannot make out the sutler based on the photos alone.

The leather appears to be dyed black, as opposed to being natural on the one side, so that might be of significance.

Also, I'm told it's a few years old, if that information helps anyone in figuring out who the creator is.

All in all, I just want to try and make sure that I'm not dealing with any farby gear here.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Pvt. Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Re: Who is the maker of this knapsack?

I got my knapsack a few years ago from S&S. It looks exactly like that. The color on the inside straps are different but other than that it looks the same

Adam Ward
    Sykes Regulars, 2nd & 4th US Infantry
    Adam Ward

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
    Sykes Regulars 2nd & 4th U.S. Infantry
    The Shocker Mess
    The Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Thanks, Adam, for your response.

While I don't doubt your observations, I will say that the photos from S&S's website...

...seem to differ from mine, specifically in the stitching, the fabric, and as you mentioned, the leather.

None-the-less, I have e-mailed them with the inquiry.

Pvt. Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Comment

From the looks, I think it might a Jarnigan. I have a double bad from them and it looks like it.

But it will be nothing more the guesses without sometype of makers mark, etc.
        Thanks
        Daniel MacInnis
        Adair Guards
        Commonwealth Grays
        [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

I am going to agree and also say Jarnagin, looks to be theres.
          Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
          James A. Peifer
          Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

Evaluating gear merely on its brand name is probably what 's farby...

While I suppose I may be a bit late on this, my response is that it really does it matter. Determining the authenticity of an item isn't a simple matter of identifying who the maker is. Some mainstream and unapproved vendors make some darn nice stuff and some approved vendors have items in their product line that are at least a little suspect. The standard isn't, and has never been, the manufacturing brand name but rather how closely an item matches the originals. I don't know where anyone is going to quiz you on the manufacturer of an item at an event (at least not at a good event). Rather the question will more likely be does the item match the originals or not.

Since it is unlikely you'll be doing research and a survey of original knapsacks on your own anytime soon, I would suggest that when this knapsack arrives you get out your copy of the CRC (or at least a pards copy) and flip to the handy article on knapsacks to do a quick review of the information there and determine how closely the item in question meets the details it identifies. You'll undoubtedly come up with a heck of a lot more informative evaluation than knowing th brand name can possibly give you.
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I was going to say that it looks a lot like my Serio knapsack, including the way that the inner pockets/storage are done, and the ties on the inner bag. It looks like it has gotten at least five years of use out of it.

Like Troy said, it is fun to speculate, but it will be more fun to look at photos of originals when you receive the knapsack to compare.
              ERIC TIPTON
              Former AC Owner

Comment

If it's not broke, why fix it?
                Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I know it's been a while since this item was discussed, but I believe it's currently for sale on a certain website for auctions we all know....

The pictures are the same, at least.
                  William Lee Vanderburg
                  26th NCT

Robert S. Bowers / 4th NC
                  Calvin Spry / 57th NC

Comment

I would say Jarnagin. The finish on the canvas looks very Jarnagin-ish. A light brushing with a gloss oil base black paint may refresh the look as well as return its waterproofing properties. JMHO
                    Todd Reynolds
                    Union Orphan Extraordinaire

Comment

Here is a newer version of the same pack...

...still no clue who the maker is.

Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Comment

Bryan,
                        This may sound funny, but I could swear that is a knapsack I sold to fella in California about 6 months ago. I believe I got it from Fall Creek Sutler back in my mainstream days. That would place the knapsack at about 11 years old. I am almost positive it's my old knapsack. What really tells me is the the missing top row of stitching on the inside of the shoulder strap where the strap attaches to the bag.
                        I did a field repair on it so it is still intact. Overall it was a very serviceable piece of equipment for me !
                        I don't know how to explain it better, but I can just recognize my stuff!
                        Pierre King
                        27th Conn.
                        1st Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by poncho View Post
                          Bryan,
                          This may sound funny, but I could swear that is a knapsack I sold to fella in California about 6 months ago. I believe I got it from Fall Creek Sutler back in my mainstream days. That would place the knapsack at about 11 years old. I am almost positive it's my old knapsack. What really tells me is the the missing top row of stitching on the inside of the shoulder strap where the strap attaches to the bag.
                          I did a field repair on it so it is still intact. Overall it was a very serviceable piece of equipment for me !
                          I don't know how to explain it better, but I can just recognize my stuff!
                          Could be true......

Just for the record, I do not believe this knapsack was made by Serio. I agree that it's a sutler row made item, and looks similar to the one I owned in the early 90's but mine was made from Jarnigan.

I also own a Serio, and know many people who own different knapsacks by Serio, and none of them look like this one.

I would suggest counting your losses, and get a better knapsack.
                          Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 10-25-2007, 08:45 PM.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                          Cincinnati

Comment

I agree, I'll change my opinion about it being a Jarnagin Knapsack... I don;t recall any being made with the large black patches seen or the brown (leather??) ties. I would say its a sutler row special.
                            Todd Reynolds
                            Union Orphan Extraordinaire

Comment

It is not a Jarnagin, it is not a Serio, it is not a ************, but it is indeed a Fall Creek.

Thanks to all that responded.

Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Comment

Working...
                              X