X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: C/P/H and The Watchdog

Paul:
    I am trying to not let the door hit me on the way out here, to quote the resident iconoclast in these parts. Which book? CRRC-2? This isn't about insulting anybody's research on CRRC-2, the majority of which was done by Watchdog Asst Editor John Tobey. Don't get all prickly and twist things. Here is my thinking for this one last post:

Obviously the Adams reference does not mean everybody who writes and does research and posts their opinions here is ignorant. What he means those who are freely share the mis-information, and it happens often enough to be a problem. It must be considered a universal truth because at least few of the A-C Forum members bought The Civil War Musket book and I have never heard one peep about that revelation by Bill Adams in the introduction being unfair or untrue. No one has disagreed yet. It's a problem, don't shoot the messenger. That's something else I won't miss. And of course, you can ask Bill Adams to explain himself if you like. I understood what he meant. No, this is not an indictment of you or your efforts, Paul.Your efforts here are appreciated by all. Overall I don't enjoy the negative cast of characters on the internet forums, especially a few of the mods here. They are supercilious and demonstrate an arrogance that puts me off. What are the qualifications for the post of moderator? Personality disorders? The ones I am thinking of couldn't work for me for 10 minutes. I'd boot the lot of them and get people who first and foremost relate well to other people. The ignorant can learn about the Civil War hobby more easily than a miscreant can learn to relate to the needs of the hobbyist and readers.

The end result is whatever you chose for it to be. I assume you want the environment to be toxic. It is a culture of exclusion, not inclusion. How do you grow the hobby that way? Everything has a cost associated with it. Keeping unpleasant people as moderators on your internet forum has a cost. It costs you members and participants. Do you want about 1,467 examples or can we admit this is a universal truth, too? We were certainly surprised to learn that The Watchdog was no longer "progressive" (after pretty much coining the term) or worth reading and that this forum was not our "segment" after all. And in another coincidence, the same thing happened after Nicky left Camp Chase...It looks and sounds very odd, like some sort of Nicky Hughes cult? But what is the message here? If you were to believe this (I don't), it suggests that as an Editor Nicky leaves a disgraceful legacy in his wake. King Midas in reverse. Everywhere Nicky leaves is in chaos and disarray. Incredible. He certainly deserves better.

I am past tired of hearing "Are you still going to the wrong events." Yes, if they raise enough for battlefield preservation. This hobby is primarily a father/son activity for me.This is no such thing as a right event or a wrong event. The EBUFU immersion events just do not have much curb appeal to my son or me, though I would participate if he wanted to do them. He is a history buff, his summer job was an NPS internship working as a historical interpreter for Stones River National Battlefield Park in a smoky bear uniform, giving tours of the battlefield and presentations in the visitors center. He has a pretty sound an impartial working knowledge of history. My son brought me to the hobby, not the other way around. We are going to Cedar Creek together. He is in his second year of college and too soon these trips will end. These are our immersion events. He had a good insight to offer me, which if you will indulge me on my last post, I would like to share. I was discussing the recent turn of events here and the founding father's comment about me attending an EPUFU (Outpost III) event in Tennessee or else The Watchdog might not be an approved vendor next year (see previous post in this thread). My son asked, "Why do you put up with this for $100 a year?", I replied "No we pay the AC Forum $100 a year." You can guess what his impartial analysis of that was, but the thrust of it is we would all be better served using those funds for battlefield preservation. I've heard of playing hard to get, but this is hard to want.

Personally, I only support this forum specifically to support The Watchdog's mission and that is no longer necessary or desireable. It was a daily chore to do so. Since The Watchdog is "out of touch" with what the readers here want and the publications are not deserving of support, that use of time no longer qualifies as a priority. If one of your members wants a question answered, or wants to read something else I have written, they can find it in The Watchdog section of the CCG. Or e-mail it to me and I'll answer it in a new feature called "From The Ordnance Department". Better yet, read the The Civil War Musket. 90% of the questions I've answered here over the past six or seven months are covered in there chapter and verse. As with all Watchdog publications, being a non-profit 501(c) the proceeds go to battlefield preservation (that term again), in this case including the author's share.

Direct any further questions any AC Forum members may have on The Watchdog products to Bill Christen, if you would. He will be monitoring the AC Forum for Watchdog related questions until our obligations here run out. I am going to be concentrating my research and writing efforts on The Watchdog section in Camp Chase Gazette and two of our pending book projects. I will answer e-mails as time permits but as I will not be accessing the Forum too often, hence PMs are just going to queue up.My email is CraigLBarry@aol.com.

Finally for 225 copies of CRRC-2, you can make the check out to The Watchdog and send it to PO Box 1675 Warren MI 48090. Speak to Bill about it and see when he can have the book order printed and delivered. You would probably qualifiy for a wholesale rate on a bulk order of 225. If you want autographed copies of The Civil War Musket as Christmas presents for all your mods, please order early as they are going fast. I have a special personal message I'd like to include in a couple of them.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 10-18-2007, 09:22 AM. Reason: Let me make this perfectly clear...
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

This should be a happy occasion, let's not bicker about who's killed who. :)
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

"Overall I don't enjoy the cast of characters on the internet forums, especially a few of the mods here. They are supercilious and demonstrate an arrogance that puts me off. What are the qualifications for the post? The ones I am thinking of couldn't work for me for 10 minutes. I'd boot the lot of them and get people who first and foremost relate well to other people. The ignorant can learn about the Civil War more easily than a miscreant can learn to relate to a new hobbyist."

At the risk of intruding into the on-line equivalent of a family quarrel, I want to voice my general support for this line of analysis, though not for the blanket condemnation or specific recommendation to just get rid of everyone.

I like the AC for the information I can glean, and it's my preferred forum for sharing the little in the way of original contributions I have to offer. That said, I find the process of getting to the point of exchange through the ideological undergrowth increasingly uncomfortable.

This hobby ought primarily to be about history, not theological purity. With a few exceptions, those who chime in the loudest about the latter tend to contribute least to the former. In my own peculiar line of study, I find good work being done across the continuum of "authenticity," at least as defined here. Given that, chatter about "who is us" and which "Tier" of lengthily yet poorly defined "EBUFU" an event belongs to leaves me shuddering. There's something other than love of learning going on there. I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect it ain't pretty.

Paul, this isn't directed at you. You've taken active steps to cut down on obvious rudeness and to eradicate trolls. You also did right by me when I had some problems here a little while ago. But I see Mr. Barry's statements as expressing some of the same thoughts I had then and after following this for the last couple of days, I finally gave in to the temptation to comment.
        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I'm going to refrain from comment on the Watchdog, CCG, who goes to what events, and who may be insulting whom.

I'd just like to reiterate a statement I made in an earlier post:

I take folks as I see 'em, not as I read there posts on a friggin' forum, not as someone tells me who may have wronged whom in some situation in the past in which I had no interest or involvement. Craig is a very knowledgable, very enthusiastic, and very likable guy, though afflicted with the same sort of material culture OCD that I have.

Hell, based soley on on-line reputation, one would be sure that Chawls had cloven hooves. I've never seen him bare-footed, but I can tell you that if there'd been goat feet in his bootees, I'd have seen them.

So, before we all get offended and pissed off because we feel someone is openly insulting someone else, just take a sec and ponder the concept that maybe you're not getting the full message.

Sorry... I just hate seeing on-line pissing matches like this. It brings folks down and accomplishes nothing.

I can't wait for the Outpost!!!! I got my MRE's all packed and ready to go!!!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Wick:
            Thanks, your check is in the mail. It is getting hard to get out the door if nobody will shut it. This is not an angry decision. This is an informed decision based on what has been learned, and how best to invest my hobby time...meaning not here. There are no hard feelings on my end. The Watchdog has kind of run it's course. And you make a good point. There is little resemblance between the actual person and the internet personnae. Except in my case, and maybe the cases I have in mind. In those cases the could actually be worse.

One would prefer to leave at the top of their game, but that's not how it all worked out for The Watchdog. So what? I appreciate the intellectual honesty of those who posted here. I am just acting based on the feedback.
            Craig L Barry
            Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
            Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
            Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
            Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
            X