Your favorite hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite hat

My favorite hat was an old black slouch I picked up at Fall Creek (yeah, I'm a farb...) in about 1993. I trimmed the brim and replaced the silk ribbon that bound the edge. I removed the modern synthetic lining and pleather sweatband. I relined the hat with homespun and put in a painted cloth sweatband.

I gave the hat away last year to a local kid who is just getting into the hobby. I kinda miss it, but it was for a good cause.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Would have to be my Tim Allen Enlisted Hardee's Hat. Quite comfy. Has gone through it and still looks good.
      Micah Trent
      Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
      Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

My zouave fez. It is blue, fits on the back of my scunion, and has a nice tassle. I had fun wearing it as a Fire Zou Zou last year.
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

My black slouch hat made by Dirty Billy. It didn't shrink when wet.

John Winkler
          Alamo Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
            Out of curiosity...why would you all want your hats / caps to look nice and new???!!!

That question deserves a more thorough answer. Its a part of the 19th century mindset.

The condition of the hat speaks to the condition of the man wearing it. A quality hat will stand up to decades of constant wear--it may need reblocking, relining, a new band, a new silk edge, but a quality hat body is virtually indistructible by anything other than fire. Worn and brushed on a regular basis, moth has no opportunity to eat it.

Rain sheds well off a quality hat body--it is dense and well finished. If it does become soaked, a quality hat body can be reshaped with ease, unlike many modern blend hat bodies.

A man without a proper head covering suffers much in the outdoors--almost before the weapon, the hat is vital to the soldier, for it preserves his health against chill, sun, and rain. A poorly groomed soldier is a poor reflection on his unit---uniforms were inspected. Hats were not treated differently.

There is sometimes the fashion today to artificially age a hat by mashing it, wetting it, bouncing it about in the dirt. This simply produces a dirty shapeless hat that bears little resemblance to those of the period.

Go through all the originals you've handled over the years--those hats are not shapeless, and are often quite clean, unless they were stored improperly. Surely not all of those preserved kepis and Hardees belonged to bandbox soldiers--no, they were worn daily, and kept with the same care that a man kept the tools of his trade.

Still and all, yes, the extended rigors of a campaign will do damage--though we rarely see that rigor imposed on a reproduction hat. Doug Cooper cited Frank Afmuth's 'apology for a hat' above. It was a rare exception to that rule, and a hat that had well and bravely earned its dubious rank.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

My brown Tim Allen bell crown slouch.I have that nice and broken it.I love that hat.I try to wear it whenever I can.
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

That would have to be my worn out Type I Columbia Rifles baseball cap from Toppers. Having Angus the black Lab/Pit Bull mix help inspect and repair the freight wagon utility trailer wiring just prior to the 2nd Bull Run NPS LH last year pretty much finished it off. A number of you have met Angus, and understand why there may be a real need for canine Ritalin. Great hat with many a Carpenter Bee kill to its credit.

Oh, you meant reenacting hats?

Golly, I'd say that infamous raggedy a-- kepi a few decades old pretty much wins hands down. Nice coin buttons from a junk shop, a chinstrap recycled from some long lost Bannerman's junk, a rather wild lining that has become subdued from dirt, oil, wear, and age, and they sure don't make jeancloth like they used to, but the repair at front dead center is holding up very well. Every time I wear it (especially when it rains) I'm reminded just how little good a kepi does in the elements. It has a few fairweather events left in it, I suppose.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

My Tim Allen pecan bee-hive bowler crown that I bought in 1998.....

It's used and abused, and looks fantastic out on campaign for any theater.

I've got so many hats/caps though, it's hard to put one above the other.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                  Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by Fenianboy View Post
                    Next in line a coveted Joe Covais.Oh there are more but the sightof that cap brings warm memories and helps to diminish whatever little " speedbump" I've experienced that day, Bud
                    Hey Bud,

I agree..... The cap I'm wearing in my avatar is an old Covais forage cap. Very sweet indeed.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                    Cincinnati

Comment

My Tim Allen "Kinchloe" knock-off. Well weathered and just a very comfortable hat
                      T. N. Harrington
                      Traveling Photographic Artist
                      Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
                      Winchester, Virginia

Comment

My Chris Semancik '58 Fed Forage Cap.
                        Dave Gink
                        2nd US Cavalry
                        West Bend, WI

Comment

My Dirty Billy's Hardee.
                          Nick Buczak
                          19th Ind

[url]http://www.allempires.com[/url]

Comment

Two actually, a Dirty Billy's brown medium beehive farmer that I picked up at Wilson's Creek 2000. It's just about to get the right shape, patina and smell. And a Starbuck's Federal Forage Cap that's getting right as well. A good hat and some well-fitted brogans.....the rest will fall into place.

A.Redd
                            Andy Redd

Comment

My Obediah Prophet black civvie slouch does the trick for me (as seen in my avatar). Second in line is my OP CS kepi.
                              Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                              WIG/GVB
                              In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Greg Starbuck State-Issue Forage Cap.
                                Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
                                [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X