Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite hat

Hallo!

My favourite cap is a 1937 Zulu Cannibal Giants cap...

Hello. My name is Curt.

(Hi Curt...)

I am a hataholic. I wasn't always a hataholic. As a child I hated hats and caps, and took them off faster than my parents could put them on.

For the "Civil War," I have struggled and battled with my hataholism for many years, in the lost and forlorn hope of finding the Perfect Hat.
    As I wandered through the Skid Row back lots and darkened alleys of Billy, Bender, Allen, and others, poured through CW images, and stared at mirrors... I had thought I had found the Perfect Hat, and probably did. But then... trying to understand, appreciate, and replicate the CW era concept of hat-wearing and hat statement-making...

Curt
    Recovering Hataholic Mess
    Not quite one day Sober

Hats. The Final Frontier Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

This one is my favorite.
      Attached Files
      Your most obedient servant and comrade,
      James C. Schumann
      Mess #3
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I will have to speak up for my ole pal . I have a hat that I got at a wilderness event in the early 90's from Filthy William himself. like a horse, at 18 years old it is showing it age. It has always been versatile, practical ( I love a big brim) and full of character.
        Attached Files
        Rod Miller
        [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
        1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
        1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
        1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
        1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
        Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
        1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
        Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Beyond a shadow of a doubt...this is my favorite hat.!!!! And it's made by me (obviously)!!!!

Last edited by lukegilly13; 08-12-2008, 10:07 PM.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Eleven year-old Tim Bender Hardee. It's beat-up, weathered and faded, but fits perfectly. Crown rolled down and shaped by taking it on-and-off over the years. At Pickett's Mill in 2004, it was so wet, that I was able to shape it about any way I wanted. I would take the Hardee every time over the forage cap, although I have an equally-old Forage Cap from Dirty Billy that I also like.
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

My favorite is still my logwood-dyed kepi from Richmond Depot that I bought when I first got into the hobby ('06). Since I had to exit the hobby shortly thereafter, it has only just now started to get some fading in it. I plan on leaving it at home though for most of this season in order to really break in my medium-crown bowler from Tim Bender.
              Thomas T. "Tommy" Warshaw III

Comment

First in line would be my Black Clearwater Mosby that I got for Christmas in 2001....been beat up/rained on (ie Seasoned)
                Next would be my Black DB Slouch (pictured in my avator picture)....hasn't been rained on as much, but it's got some nice dirt stains from various events. Was also a gift from my friend (actually he gave to me on whim the weekend I got married as he was my best man).
                Never been a forage cap/kepi person, but have one for my US/CS impressions respectivelly.

My .02 worth.
                Robert F. Wallace
                38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

First would be my Dirty Billy blue/grey bowler I purchased at At High Tide in 2008. A bit more beat since then, but she's still a champ! Next would be my commercial forage cap by a guy in New Jersey (the one in my avatar). With a little wear making the brim roll up, I really like the look and feel. But I AM a forage cap guy, through and through. As Curt would say, others mileage may vary.

Regards,
                  [SIZE="3"][B]Chris Montague[/B][/SIZE]
                  Associate of the 10th Virginia Infantry/5th Wisconsin
                  Member of the Battalion of the Common Soldier

Golf Co, 2/23 Marines
                  Ar Ramadi/Al Fallujah, Iraq

Comment

My favorite, just because it looks so cool, is a high domed grey Burnside model that Tim Bender custom made. Can't wear it much as it was the 30th Ind. Vol. Inf. 3 month hat, but again, it just looks cool. My most worn is a T1 forage cap I got from Wambaugh, White and Co. before they went out of that business. Super cap!

Thanks to both Tim and Dan for the great products.

John Eads
                    Co.K, 30 Ind.Vol.Inf.

Comment

My favorite hat is still the "Dirty Billy Special" I purchased when I got into the Hobby twenty-five years ago. It's showing it's age, but still has some life left in it.
                      Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Originally posted by Rebbeh View Post
                        my black telescoping crown Tim Bender (his website says he only makes like, 6 a year :) ) is definately my best made, and offers the best rain and sun protection
                        I just got one from Tim. It is a fine piece for sure.
                        Joe Coyle

Comment

Re: My Favorite Hats

For confederate it has to be my Starbuck kepi and for fed a Smith forage cap.

Steve Acker
                          The man with a hat for every impression except zouve

Comment

For me, my Tim Allen made Private purchase Hardy-been rained on, sweated in, sat on tossed around and left on the dash of the truck on a hot Memphis summer day. Still looks good and holds it shape:-)
                            Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

My Starbuck and Dirty Billy hats. They're built right, look right and wear right.
                              Mike Stein
                              Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

My 22 year old Paul Smith "Type 1" US cap.
                                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                                X