Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston History

Gentlemen,
    Next week,I will be heading down to Charleston,SC, with my father and his honors students.The week wil be spent pretty much talking of the history of Chuck-town.We will be talking of seccession,Sumter,the Hunley,Star of the West,the 54th,the seige,ect.I am wanting to review though so I don't look like a fool in front of the students.Anyone know of a good site to help?I am kind of hesitent to go looking on line because I don't want to get some extreme left or right wing stuff,or stuff that is historically bull dung.So I figure this would be the best place to ask since it seems on here,people know their stuff.
    Cullen
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Re: Charleston History

Here's a link to a Harper's article from the Making of America web site featuring sights to see in Charleston in 1857. It's really fun to compare what you see now with what they feature in the article. Many of the structures still exist.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Check out the Citadel website for some Citadel Civil War history.

Cordially,
      Sam Patterson

Comment

While visiting Charleston, if you have any free time,I highly reccomend a visit to the UDC Hall / Museum. it is a well kept secret.

Give my regards to Ms. Wells the curator.

Best,
        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
        PO BOX 4849
        Midlothian, VA 23112
        www.richmonddepot.com
        (804)305-2968

Comment

I would also drive to Sullivan's Island and inspect Fort Moultrie, Battery Marshall on the other end of the island is where the H. L. Hunley left. I am also a fan of the Customs House and downtown, James and John's Island have a few obscure sites, like Fort Lamar. Of course Fort Sumter is always worth the trip alone.

Make sure to hit the Visitors Center and sign-in, let them know why you are there. My state seems to be oblivious to the economic dynamo which is history tourism, they are more bent on paving over every historic site. They aren't appreciative enough of the tourism generated by the war. If you have a chance, visit the South Carolina Confederate Relic Room & Military Museum in Columbia. The Relic Room's web site is:

http://www.crr.sc.gov/

They can help with the material and they are some of the most professional historians in the state. Lot's of great exhibits and fine people there, and that's another "hidden" historical treasure.

BTW thanks for visiting.
          Last edited by SCTiger; 10-15-2007, 06:45 PM. Reason: more info
          Gregory Deese
          Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
          "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Hallo!

"We will be talking of seccession,Sumter,the Hunley,Star of the West,the 54th,the seige,ect.I am wanting to review though so I don't look like a fool in front of the students"

Not to be seen, or perceived, as coming across as negative, but...
            You have invested just a week to accomplish this task while others have invested a life time and only scratched the Surface?

Being positive, the best of luck, and have a enjoyable and rewarding visit. Every piece of the Whole contributes to one's knowledge. And thanks for the desire to learn!

Regards,

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Must see this in Charleston!

Hello-

Being a graduate of the Last All-Male Class of The Citadel: The Military College of South Carolina and a former resident of Charleston (I'll get back there to live soon enough when I get a job there, promise you that! Anyone got a job there in Logistics??? ;)), I urge you to see the Washington Light Infantry building on Meeting Street about a block or so toward the Battery from Marion Square.
              Now, you'll have to call them first and see IF they will let you in, as the building is a like private club and only admits members. But I have heard they have a wonderful collection of relics from all periods, including the Civil War. The were an actual unit that fielded 3 companies of infantry during the Late Unpleasantness.

Here's their website: http://washingtonlightinfantry.org/

Unfortunately, I never had the time to see their collection firsthand. If you go, take pictures and post them on here if they allow you to take pictures. I'd be interested to hear what is there now for when I get to go finally.

I spoke to a Mr. Neal Moore there and he said if you coordinate with them, they have a collection of relics going all the way back to the Revolutionary War with many Civil War artifacts too. He also says there is extensive firsthand documentation there and you can see it if you priorly arrange it with them! Call them at 843-722-1807

Unfortunately, I never had the time to see their collection firsthand. If you go, take pictures and post them on here if they allow you to take pictures. I'd be interested to hear what is there now for when I get to go finally.

All the best- Johnny Lloyd
              Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-16-2007, 09:56 AM.
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Don't forget the Charleston City Museum (might as well see the Manigault house too) as it has an excellent collection of firearms including a British seven barrel Nock Volley gun. Seminole Chief Osceloa (sp?) is buried right outside the entrance to Fort Moultrie so if you go there as SCTtiger suggested, don't overlook it. Seccessionville has a marker, but I don't think it's worth driving over there just to see it. It's mostly private land and inaccessible. The Battery (at the confluence of the Ashley & Cooper River) is also well worth seeing (besides, it's walking distance from the UDC Museum, Washington Light Infantry & boat dock for Fort Sumter). There's plenty of old guns displayed at The Battery. BTW, the Harris Tweeter grocery store use to have sammiches for $1 on either Tuesday or Thursday.
                GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                X