• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat guy

Just thought the chubby guy up top was funny

Patrick Rooney

Re: Portly Gentleman

My, what fine figure of a prosperous mid-19th century man. One wonders if he might be a widower. Or if he has educated sons of marriageable age. :D

Of course, in times of war, any competent quartermaster would have prosperous acquaintances. Rufus Ingalls was no exception.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Re: Fat guy

Something tells me he didn't do very much farm work.
      Patrick Rooney

Comment

You making fun of my GGG grandfather??
        Cris L. Westphal
        1st. Mich. Vol.
        2nd. Kentucky (Morgans Raiders)
        A young man should possess all his faculties before age,liquor, and stupidity erase them--Major Thaddeus Caractus Evillard Bird(Falconer Legion CSA)

Comment

I'm sorry, I've failed to understand how this is funny.

If you look at the photos in the book : For Dixie Land I Take My Stand or the series Portraits of Conflict, there are a lot guys that we would consider to be more "overweight".
          Elizabeth Landrum
          IR Team Mom

Comment

Take a joke lady, I'm not making fun of him because he's overweight, he just looks like a jolly old guy.
            Patrick Rooney

Comment

Re: Portly Gentleman

Exactly Miss Warnick---where I made inference indirectly to " a fine figure of a prosperous mid-19th century man", you've said my meaning much more directly. I changed the title my post the first time, simply because I found the reference 'fat guy' offensive. Being 'of a certain age' and Deep South to boot, I tend to be obtuse and indirect, when the alternative is to be impolite.

The gentlemen referred to is a fine example of what a mid-century merchant was expected to look like---well able to feed himself and his family. If his wife was healthy and not worn down by child bearing, she would have a fine wide round face, an ample bosum, and a thick waist camoflaged by ever so many wide petticoats. In an era where various 'wasteing diseases' were common, a portly figure was protection against those sorts of illnesses, as the body had ample resources upon which to draw.

Should his wife had met with an early death, he's exactly the sort a widow with ambition for a secure old age would have pursured. And such a man, married or widowed, would have had funds to settle upon his sons, and provide amply for my marriageable daughter.

Rail thin boys were simply that-boys. Their appearance did not necessarily bode well for their ability to support a family.
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

P. Rooney and Ms Lawson,
                I believe the reason there was no humor found in the image is because there was no clear explanation as why it should be found funny. Perhaps a "Wow, check out this merchant" or whatever statement could have been made. While checking out some coats of CS generals it amazes me how the majority of them were size 36. Heck even the Columbus Depot in private hands is a size 36, so that puts even us size 40 guys in the "big guy" world. Also, the title of the thread is "Fat guy", that could easily be interpreted as making fun of the large guy. I would easily say his chest is about a 52 and waist about the same.

Pretty neat image however, well worth a study. Nice straw hats as well.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

I just found it to be an interesting image, I'm sorry the word "fat" is offensive to some people.
                  Patrick Rooney

Comment

delete double post
                    Last edited by Spinster; 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM. Reason: delete double post
                    Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

You peole kill me sometimes.....

One bizzare factoid that has stuck with me is from my college Russian History class is that the big guys back then got the ladies! When we got to the early to mid 19th century we read "Dead Souls" by Gogol. The instructor explained to us that the bigger the person, the more affluent they were because they could actually afford the extra food. Ladies liked a man that could put some food on the table.

But to add to the FAT GUY! thread and make Liz even more mad at me I would like to present my favorite political general from the Peach State....

Howell Cobb!

:)
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Re: Portly gentleman

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                        Pretty neat image however, well worth a study. Nice straw hats as well.
                        I had to go to the site and enlarge the image to get two things--the attribution of the photo to an " Ingalls"--which turned up several subsequent images of the good quartermaster in the top center of the picture. I was much more interested in the good dog, and the blurry little boy still in skirts nearby. His dress is quite detailed, not the smock-like shifts I'm more accustomed to seeing.

That whole site has a wealth of images, though I wish they had brought more detailed attribution and date information.
                        Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Hallo!

Please study and digest the wonderful image for the historical, social, and socio-historical insights it provides, but the Moderator Hat On believes the thread has run its course and value.

Curt
                          Humor Is Subjective Mess
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                          X