This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving you both barrels.

The data from this list is actually very useful. I have personally encountered the "phony campaigner" that rarely ventures far from the mainstream events, makes claims to attending our events. This list prevents that fraud, and if you compare the list to the membership that posts here often, you will find an interesting phenomenon known as the "Keyboard Campaigner."

The other problem was the accusations that only a handful of people supported c/p/h events and that our side of the hobby had quit growing and plateau. Charles' list is a sort of census that helps to track that trend. Hopefully it will encourage the members of this forum to support better events, and not to just throw in the towel and sulk back to the land of a thousand tent stakes, just to seek out "numbers."

My beef isn't with anyone that couldn't make an event this year, we all have real world lives and bad years, I missed three events due to my work. It's the following I take exception to:

1. The people that choose f/m/a events over the c/p/h and then howl about the low numbers on our side.

2. Attended one event three years ago and yet have an opinion on every event that happens this year.

3. Never attended or supported any Ebufu event, anytime, anywhere, yet constantly nitpick, criticize and argue with the campaigner movement. Then they demand that their Tier 3 events gets maximum exposure and treatment equal to Tier 1/2, just because a couple of mainstream campaigners happen to show up.

So in other words, only the people that support, organize and attend our events, should be the ones commenting, outside of our guest academics, museum professionals and researchers; the rest are just wannabe wanksters and sutler row posers that for one bad reason or another can't seem to send in that registration form or show up for the Tier 1-2 events, but you will see them here on the AC, putting the smack down on the people who use their knapsacks as knapsacks.

Actually Charles' list should be about two times larger, and thats the point to any "undecided" reenactors reading this post if they still haven't jumped ship. I'm proud to be on the list, even if it was one event this year, that's one great event and it was worth more than a 100 events, that have virtually no military activities, outside of 45 minute sham battle.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Re: What do these people have in common?

Heef,
      Deese didn't make Vicksburg so he is just a B man. Banks however is one damn good one to have made. Wish life didn't kick me on that one, and that a planning weekend at Vicksburg wasn't planned the same weekend as Shiloh.

I see a lot of names on that list that aren't "us" even though they registered as such. The individual makes the impression more so than anything and "exclusive" lists like this really should not be a standard as to who "we" are.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

Very, very well said Marc Hermann and John Wickett.

Thanks for injecting some good us vs them hate in the discussion Gribble - never thought of the legal advantages this list might have at detecting fraud foisted upon us by phony campaigners - pure genius!

Of course there are so many errors, perhaps it would be best just to eliminate the names and provide numbers.

I was able to get to 4 events on this list in 2007, and helped organize 2 of them. I want to thank all the great folks, both organizers and attendees, who made worthwhile the expense it costs us folks who must fly in from the far west.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Indeed, I back up Patricks statement, I was unable due to modern military training to make the Vicksburg LH even though I registered for it but I was able later on to jump in and participate in the Chickamauga LH and had a grand time with the ANV company.

FYI I was listed twice on the Charles roster of "the in crowd" reenactors or whatever he decides to call it.

regards,
          Cheers,
          [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Gotta love the annual panic attack. Dog eat your homework? Wore out the main bearing on your Dial-An-Excuse? Hanging out on eBay to keep from being "swooped" at the last second? If any of this happy little list recognizing those who at least made some attempt to support the top events pinches toes and causes howling dogs -- GREAT!

For those with moderate reading comprehension problems, note the fact the list is based on registrations and not actual attendance, with the exception of one event that after three attempts can't seem to produce a registration list. For what it is worth, I can go back and increase that little disclaimer to 144 point font, if necessary. :-) That little factoid has also been a bugaboo in 2005 and 2006, since a number of people tend to register early and often, yet rarely make an event. I'm not sure if we'll ever get to the point where events can provide rosters of attendee's, but in a perfect world that would be really nice. These same folks might want to look up the word "draft," and the common clerical phrase "alpha by first." Some of you guys need to get out more. (Pun intended.)

"You mean it was there all along?" Yep.

Two bits of info I'd really like to have are zip codes and primary affiliations (if any). Obviously, the first is a security issue, as evidenced by the very same reason one person stays behind in the deceased's home during a funeral, and the second may provide a clue as to which messes, companies, and battalions support events as a group. Not all lists of registrants provide affiliations, and not all want to do so. Some groups are road warriors. Some do well within their region, but do not travel well. Others are simply MIA. Now, someone will probably ask what good the zip codes would do. Well, that's a question that answers a heck of a question about reenactor population density. While we can and have marked out regions on a continental US map, trying to get a handle on where the active reenactors are actually located beyond anecdotal evidence is a little more difficult. When we replace geography with humans, a few things become crystal clear. These are good things, too. As to the latter, as has already been pointed out a number of times, a few groups seem to support quality events on a consistent basis. Well, I'm sure there is a reason for that. :-)

Now, to put on the humor hat to paraphrase a few choice quotes. Do the sitcom voiceovers from Seinfeld characters in your head for added effect, if it helps:

"I'm on a list. Next, they'll be putting me on a train! I must go into full-blown panic mode!!!" (Note: This has nothing to do with a certain 2008 event proposal that we can't talk about yet.)

"I'm on a list. If I'm on a list, then I can't be The Man On The Outside Looking In! Please take me off the list before I lose my cachet as a dysfunctional specialty impression introvert and turn into a goldfish."

"I'm not on a list! Wah!"

"I'm not on the list. Hey, but I was there! I want my Ass Sap Campaign Ribbon! This is a conspiracy against me!"

"It'a a list! OMG! It's a list! The hobby is being subdivided! Run, Johnny Whistletrigger, run!"

"If you guys would give up this quality event nonsense and come back to the mainstream, everything would be oh so perfect." Theme song: So Happy Together.

"People are being recognized for doing something good. This is so wrong."

"I'm not on the list, because I'm deployed to a sandy spot on the planet, but do I see any of YOU people improving your camel riding, bullet dodging, and goat cooking skills for that certain Confederate specialty impression? So, there."

"I go to two man events. Does this make me a bad person?"

"I've been outed as a Keyboard Kampaigner! I must now sell all my CW stuff and try WW2."

"I found an error! Throw it all out! It's not perfect!" (I've read that about the CRRC2, too.)

"Chawls did something. This simply has to be bad."

Yeah, listen to yourselves. It's more amusing than annoying. For those who get it, hugs and kisses to you.

Above all, take a moment to look at the growth trend. While not scientific by any means, this happy little segment of the hobby is growing a fair piece each year while other segments have seen significant decreases. Gawd, I hope that simple observation doesn't cause people to curl around their knapsacks in the fetal position and weep. I'm not sure we can say the full version of "Boo F. Hoo" on this forum, but if we could, I would.

I hope this helps, and at this time I'd like to thank those who produced some wonderful 2007 events, as well as those who attended them.

Note: Yes, that IS an entry for a musket.
            Last edited by Charles Heath; 10-20-2007, 07:30 AM. Reason: Need more coffee.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post

For those with moderate reading comprehension problems, note the fact the list is based on registrations and not actual attendance, with the exception of one event that after three attempts can't seem to produce a registration list. For what it is worth, I can go back and increase that little disclaimer to 144 point font, if necessary. :-) That little factoid has also been a bugaboo in 2005 and 2006, since a number of people tend to register early and often, yet rarely make an event. I'm not sure if we'll ever get to the point where events can provide rosters of attendee's, but in a perfect world that would be really nice. These same folks might want to look up the word "draft," and the common clerical phrase "alpha by first." Some of you guys need to get out more. (Pun intended.)
              Just curious...if we're doing a proper roll/accountability at events on Saturday morning, would this not provide a list of who actually made an event?

Conceivably these forms are ultimately going to the trashcan after the event, at least using them for "official" record keeping, would give them some "higher" purpose?

Paul
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                Just curious...if we're doing a proper roll/accountability at events on Saturday morning, would this not provide a list of who actually made an event?
                Unfortunately, no.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  "I go to two man events. Does this make me a bad person?"
                  Yes, Charles. Yes it does. :D

Hank Trent
                  hanktrent@voyager.net
                  Hank Trent

Comment

Thanks for injecting some good us vs them hate in the discussion Gribble - never thought of the legal advantages this list might have at detecting fraud foisted upon us by phony campaigners - pure genius!
                    You're welcome.

Otherwise I am clear on what events I would like to support, and the people and units I want to associate with.
                    Gregory Deese
                    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

I have a list also.
                      Tom Yearby
                      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I noticed over 270 people are registered for OP3, if the registrar's spreadsheet is any indication....in our world that tends to put the event into some form of a Nate...gnat...Nash..natural....no, I'm not saying it. Let someone else say it, but a last minute bump of registrations could put that figure over 300. Life is good.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Charles, as you now, I live in western NC and my unit, the Armory Guards, is in GA. That should help with the zip code and affiliation. See you at Outpost, speaking of which I need to register tonight. Chickamauga was hot and fun.
                          Derek Carpenter
                          Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

The only list I give a flying rat's butt about is Tom's and where I am on it. I have a feeling I just dropped a place or two.
                            Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Ley Watson's musket also attended the Wilderness LH.
                              Dave Eggleston

Comment

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                                Just curious...if we're doing a proper roll/accountability at events on Saturday morning, would this not provide a list of who actually made an event?http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...es/biggrin.gif
                                :D
                                Unfortunately, no.
                                I'm sure if you asked the company commanders from BGR for the rolls of their companies they would be able to tell you. I think if you asked any one in any company at BGR they would be able to give you the roll. Comes from having to bond to make it through common hard ship. Heck, I can give you the roll of Co. "C" 77th ILL. though I'm not sure of Ley Watsons musket:D
                                See you all on Friday
                                Rob Murray

Comment

Working...
                                X