Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do these people have in common?

There is one list I'm worried about getting my name on. If my name is added to this list, it would be a very bad thing.
    Rick Biddle
    Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
    Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by biddler165 View Post
      There is one list I'm worried about getting my name on. If my name is added to this list, it would be a very bad thing.
      No worries Rick - send me a photo at coop2911@msn.com and you go up on the wall of heroes in my 6 year old son Andy's bedroom. Every night he and 8 year old Abby salute you during prayers...and they have a 100% success rate at getting their heroes back home safe.

Thanks for stepping up, again, for all of us.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Dave and Rob,

Ley's musket has turned out to be one of the more active Mid-Atlantic Region's participants during the 2007 season, and may be this end of the hobby's equivalent to the infamous Garden Gnome. Humor is good.

For the 2008 season, we'll start off with an event where actual participation data capture will be quite possible, and work from there. Not all groups do the sort of post-event work we do, so it's not exactly a level playing field in that regard. Besides, the fellow running the show is rather anal retentive (except for that recent "high pressure" incident during the most recent Ira Petit March), so that should help matters.

(Dave, I'm amazed to have waded through this post without using that dreaded Beltway Bandit phrase: "boots on the ground.")
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I received a piece of mail including the phrase "boots on the ground" yesterday.
          Dave Eggleston

Comment

Greetings,
            I’ve been following this post since Charles first put it up and Im still a bit baffled by it. I just still can’t understand the purpose mostly. I attended the Chickamauga Living History (though my name is not on the list) and it was my first time falling in with most of the folks there. I had a great time and thanks to the encouragement of some of my newly made friends, will be bringing five of my buddies back for Outpost III. I’m attending not because I’ve made some plunge or conscious decision to finally attend the “right events” but simply because I had a good time.

I’ve attended about 20 events this year. I’ve had the good fortune of few real life obligations outside of college and my personal disregard for being currently broke. These events have spanned the entire spectrum of reenacting. I’ve sweated, marched, complained, soldiered, slept in the mud, braved the elements, burnt powder and everything else in between. Not all of the events I attended were what many would consider authentic – a few weren’t even close. But many of them were, even if they weren’t ‘fortunate’ enough to make it into one of the tiers of the events folders.

What I’ve come to learn through doing so many events every year, is that there are thousands of people doing great things in the hobby, all across the country. I attended many of the events that Marc Hermann mentioned earlier, I even helped organize one or two of them. Like Marc said, some of them included an open invitation battlefield march, following the footsteps of an unsung regiment – or a living history program while staying in fort first built in 1689. Not a single one of them was listed as one of the ‘right events to attend’. I’m not trying to propose that the events I do are better or that they are even equal – I don’t care actually. I want only to point out that when we start thinking like that, we leave what’s truly wonderful about this hobby behind. We forget the commonality that we share, regardless of if we attended the same events. If my name isn’t on the list, whether because of a clerical error or the fact that I couldn’t attend, I wouldn’t be any less of a reenactor. Many of us are doing the same things and working for the same goals, even if our paths never cross.

When my buddies and I first decided to attend the Chickamauga LH, we were a bit apprehensive. It wasn’t because we doubted our efficacy as reenactors. But we were put off by this seemingly pervasive attitude that there are insiders and outsiders. After a few awkward moments of not knowing anybody, we began to make some friends and assuage our doubts. However it seems unnecessary to broadcast an attitude of exclusiveness.

I’m really excited to come to Outpost III (heck it’s been three weeks without an event, I’m dying!). I’ll get to hang out with some of my new friends from Chickamauga, spend 20 hours in the car with some close buddies, march, drill, skirmish, and all those good things I love about the hobby. But it’s has nothing to do with who put the event on, where it is at and who’s going to be there.
            [FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="3"]Cody J Harding[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="2"][B]Liberty Rifles[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[URL="http://libertyrifles.org/"]http://www.libertyrifles.org/[/URL]

Comment

Biddle, you're on a more honorable list than the one which started this thread.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

And here is Major Rick Biddle in Iraq...on the honorable list Silas is talking about. Thanks Rick, from all of us.
                Attached Files
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by charding4496 View Post
                  I attended the Chickamauga Living History (though my name is not on the list) and it was my first time falling in with most of the folks there.
                  Cody,

Refer back to the registration vs attendance discussions over the past three years, as mentioned in this thread. I may have missed your name. This is the document used for the Chickamauga NPS LH input:

Registration as of 9-14-2007

While entering the OP3 registrants, I noticed a good number of fresh names to add to the list. That is another encouraging sign.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

"I'm not on the list. Hey, but I was there! I want my Ass Sap Campaign Ribbon! This is a conspiracy against me!"

Crabb, Beth PV
                    Crabb, John PV

Wahhhh!:cry_smile

Crabby
                    Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
                    John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Crabby, there is yet another reason for registering specialty impressions whether the fee is paid or waived. :)
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Why are posts "mysteriously" disappearing on here? Particularly ones from Mike Schnapps?
                        Paul Boccadoro
                        Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by PieBoy96 View Post
                          Why are posts "mysteriously" disappearing on here? Particularly ones from Mike Schnapps?
                          Paul,

Michael appears to be spending his morning hurling personal insults in a thinly veiled session of baiting. Rather than waste time moving them to the Holding Tank, it's probably just as well to lock the thread.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                          X