Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Research Material

Greetings,

I am expecting to move in the near future and wish to minimize the amount of material I'll need to haul to my new digs.

Accordingly, I am offering a huge--I say again--HUGE amount of research material to anyone who a) wants it and b) is willing to pay the postage needed to ship it.

There is simply too much material for me to mention here, but I will say that it consists of thousands of pages of xeroxed items from a wide variety of sources. This source matter has been drawn from hundreds of period and contemporary newspapers, periodicals, books, graduate theses, obscure county histories, etc. Most of the newspaper items were pulled from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois newspapers, although several Eastern papers (e.g., New York Times) and Southern sheets (e.g., the Richmond Daily Enquirer, Louisville Courier, Southern Literary Messenger) are represented as well. I've also copied popular citizen periodicals like "Godey's," "Peterson's," and even "Arthur's Home Companion." In the aforementioned cases, I ended up with hundreds of xeroxed pages in my search for anything relating to men's clothing items.

In many cases, I systematically reviewed every single wartime issue of a paper or periodical and copied everything of potential interest. I did this for important 1860's military journals (e.g., Army & Navy Journal, United States Military Magazine). I have also copied off significant sections of post-war publications like "The National Tribune" and its lesser-known cousin, "The American Tribune" (published in Indianapolis IN c.1878-1906). The result is an almost unbelievable amount of potential source material for articles, some of which I have already used for pieces I've since published in the "Watchdog" and "Civil War Historian."

In sum, I have either no further need for this material or do not expect to use it. Therefore, rather than throw it away (and waste literally thousands of dollars spent for copying fees) I will be happy to donate it to any individual(s) willing to take it off my hands. All I request is that they pay shipping for it, or be willing to personally pick it up.

If anyone is looking for specific items, I'll do my best to accomodate their desires. Once an agreement is reached, I'll check with the Post Office and provide a Media Mail shipping cost.

Interested individuals should contact me at: mrkjaeger@yahoo.com
    I will be "in and out" all day today (Saturday, 20 October), but will respond to queries as quickly as I can.

Oh, by the way, PLEASE DO NOT SEND PM'S: I WILL NOT ANSWER THEM.

Very truly yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
    Last edited by markj; 10-20-2007, 11:14 AM.
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Free Research Material

Greetings,

Pray allow me to extend my thanks to the individuals who responded to my note earlier today. Just to let everybody know, I have a tremendous of amount of xeroxed material--enough to easily fill 20 good-sized boxes! I need to let you know this because mailing a significant amount of material, even at media mail rates, could get rather pricey.

In the meantime, here is a partial list of xeroxed newspapers that I've accumulated over the years. In some cases, I systematically went through, and copied items from, all surviving wartime numbers, while others may only be "dribs and drabs." This is nowhere near everything I have, but it's a start:

Lafayette, Indiana Daily Journal
    Lafayette, Indiana Daily Courier
    Lafayette, Indiana Weekly Argus
    Lafayette, Indiana Tippecanoe Journal & Free Press
    Indianapolis Daily Journal
    Indianapolis Daily Sentinel
    Indianapolis Daily Evening Gazette
    Chicago Tribune
    Louisville Courier
    Louisville Journal
    Louisville Democrat
    Petersburg VA Daily Express
    Clay County (IN) Weekly Democrat
    Elkhart, Indiana Review
    Whitley County (IN) Weekly Republican
    Crawfordsville, Indiana Journal
    Crawfordsville, Indiana Review
    Vincennes, Indiana Western Sun
    Columbus, Ohio Gazette
    New Albany, Indiana Daily Commercial
    Fort Wayne, Indiana Times
    Lebanon, Indiana Patriot
    Iroquois County (IL) Weekly Republican
    Columbia City, Indiana Weekly Post
    Terre Haute, Indiana Daily Express
    Madison, Indiana Daily Courier
    Richmond, Virginia Daily Enquirer
    Jackson, Mississippi Weekly Mississippian
    New York Times
    Wheeling, (Western) Virginia Daily Intelligencer
    Cincinnati Daily Commercial
    Cincinnati Daily Enquirer
    Cincinnati Daily Times

I also have numerous smaller papers from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Mississippi, District of Columbia, etc. Most of these date between roughly 1846-1865. These papers collectively published thousands of Northern and Southern soldier letters--I didn't run off all of them, but there are probably enough to keep one entertained for months even if they read two or three every day.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
    X