First piece of headgear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First piece of headgear?

Does anyone recall the first hat/cap they wore in the hobby.My first(which I still have)was a kepi sporting a patent lether brim and chinstrap and modern eagle buttons,purchased in 1961 for the princely sum of $5.We had gone the Log Cabin Sprts Shop in Lodi Ohio to check out an 1842 Musket selling for $95!!!Anyway it survived the Centennial and a couple College drunks! Bud
    Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Re: First piece of headgear?

Originally posted by Fenianboy View Post
    Does anyone recall the first hat/cap they wore in the hobby.My first(which I still have)was a kepi sporting a patent lether brim and chinstrap and modern eagle buttons,purchased in 1961 for the princely sum of $5.We had gone the Log Cabin Sprts Shop in Lodi Ohio to check out an 1842 Musket selling for $95!!!Anyway it survived the Centennial and a couple College drunks! Bud
    When I first started out in the hobby, I was a young civilian, and I wore a mechanics cap for my impression. This was back in 1983, by the way.

How about this..... When I was doing an authentic Federal military impression, I bought my first authentic hat in 1991, and that hat was, an "Army Hat", made by Artifakes. This weathered Hardee hat, is awesome.
    Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 10-20-2007, 07:51 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Comment

Oh, the shame of it.... Mine was a confederate kepi made from gray polyester/wool blend with light blue band around the bottom (of same blend) and it came complete with an infantry horn with regimental number and company letter. You can top off the ensemble with some great post-war Florida buttons and you've got one horrendous cap!
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

My first was a hand-me-down from my dad which was a black slouch which had turned brown from fading. He wore it through all the 125th anny. battles. I only wore it a few times before he made me get my own.
        Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
        WIG/GVB
        In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

My first chapeau was a blue melton kepi that Bob Serio helped me to make. That was back in about 1977 or 1978 in Little Rock. I would wear it as a captured officer's cap. I also had an old black cowboy hat that I had bent the brim all down into what was a really ugly slouch hat.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Hallo!

Originally posted by Fenianboy View Post
            Does anyone recall the first hat/cap they wore in the hobby.My first(which I still have)was a kepi sporting a patent lether brim and chinstrap and modern eagle buttons,purchased in 1961 for the princely sum of $5.
            Hallo!

Yes, I do...

It wasn't 1961, but I bought my first cap the same kepi with the patent leather (likely vinyl) visor at the Log Cabin Shop too...
            Along with my first cartridge box, well actually a Navy Arms folded thin leather "cartridge envelope" and cap box.

(In my second year, I removed the internal stiffner, removed the visor and replace it with a leather one... and then purchased accoutrements from some new company called "C & D Jarnagin.)

Curt
            A Walk Down Memory Land Mess
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

A cheap sutler row kepi.
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Joe Covais (New Columbia) federal forage cap. My 1sgt would not let me order from Jarnagin or QM shop. I owe him much.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Pards,
                  My very first Civil War hat was bought at some souvenir shop near Manassas back in the early, early sixties. It was one of those pressed felt navy blue kepis with the crossed muskets and adhesive backed Union shields. Those things are still sold today! I defarbed it by removing the insignia and scratching off the shield (though a trace of the gummy residue remained).
                  I wore it proudly on many summer nights of skirmishing with the old neighborhood gang.
                  Mark Warren
                  Hairy Nation
                  Bloomfield, Iowa
                  [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
                  "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
                  Mark Warren
                  Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

I guess my first hat would also be the old souvenir shop one as well, but is was a reb one of course (couldn't get a yank hat, I was with my grandpa and his dad fought and wore the grey).
                    Those hats sure didn't stand up to a rain storm though:cry_smile. Got mine back in the early 60's as well.
                    Robert Gobtop
                    Ol Sipley Mess
                    ONV
                    Robert Gobtop
                    Ol Sipley Mess
                    ONV
                    Proud Member of the S*** A** Platoon BGR

Comment

For me, it was a gray kepi made by Buffalo Enterprises of East Berlin, Penn. At my very first battle event (Kernstown 1982), it rained, the hat got soaked and shrank a couple sizes. Soon after that, I went with a butternut Jarnagin forage cap, with a yellow band around it and a turkey buzzard feather stuck to the side. Thank goodness folks like Bill Wickham, Tim Allen and Tim Bender came along.

Eric
                      Last edited by Dignann; 10-21-2007, 09:49 AM.
                      Eric J. Mink
                      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Hallo!

Thanks for the another stroll down Memory Lane!

Carole Roberson of Buffalo Enterprises... (but for 18th century items). Almost had her make up a Federal Navy kit when I was in a dismounted sailor mood Once Upon a Time. ;) :)

Curt
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Mine, (as an 8-yr old in a CWSA skirmishing unit) was an all-red cap built on forage cap lines, but with the kepi-type over crown folding. It was made sometime in the 1940's by looking at it. Actually a nice cap, and I still have it.

Now my first uniform was probably a military cadet's uniform from the 1890's or so. Don't know which school. The uniform was made from all wool, but it had faded to the range of an olive drab, so I don't know if that was intentional, or if it was a freaky natural dyejob. Matching shell jacket, military vest, and trousers that came up way too high. (in my 8 yr old opinion). The buttons on the vest were CW military vest buttons, and the buttons on the jacket were solid lead, made by pouring the lead into the shell of a Federal jacket button. You could see the eagle imprint fairly nicely. I will try and dig up some pictures of it if I can. Machine sewn buttonholes, but different from modern machine-sewn buttonholes.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Andrew Jerram

Comment

It was a Confederate kepi purchased for me by my dad in 1961 from J.J. Newberry's in Manhasset (the "Miracle Mile" referred to in the Billy Joel song It's Still Rock and Roll to Me). The clerk wrote "1 Reb Hat".

That, and a Kadet musket (with rubber bayonet), and I was all set to go.
                            [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                            [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Mine was in 1993: Old Sutler John-purchase Federal foarge cap. Didn't even have anything that even remotely resembled a sweatband in it, let alone anything like correct construction. Of course, most folks in my group back then had similar hats, and the "good ones" were from Jarny. I never wore a brass bugle or company letters on it, but I sure did have one of those nice brass harps pinned to the side with pride... for almost two years, until it came off at an event and I decided to not wear one anymore. Of course, for another coule years, until I replaced that horrid hat, I had a little green shamrock sewn on it--had to show folks I was "Irish" y'know. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X