Question about Officers Footwear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Officers Footwear

I have a dress uniform ( Confedrate, jr. grade ) to attend several of the period balls that are held over the winter months..

I am looking for the proper footwear. My question is would a pair of brogans from an approved vendor be appropriate or opt for the correct boots.

there is a substantial difference in cost between the two. I was wondering if officers did actually wear brogans or similiar type of shoes during that period.

Not trying to start trouble, but please list several vendors where i could buy the proper brogans if that would be the case. I wear a size 11D if any one has a pair in that size range that they wish to part with...
    Last edited by Morgan's raider; 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM.
    Richard Schimenti
    2nd Kentucky Cav. Co. D. Morgan's Raiders

Re: Question about Officers Footwear

IMHO I would go with a pair of private purchase civilian shoes or non-military issue brogans or maybe something like a British walking shoe. Feel free to shine them up!!! Very fitting for a dress uniform. Most confederate officer dress uniforms would have been custom tailored, so a private purchase shoe would be completely fitting.

Personally I would reccommend anything out the civilian section of Missouri Boot and Shoe. But there are other good shoe makers in the approved vendor list.

I own these and use them for my officer impression.... Makes me taller!!! And my wife has a ladies version of them with colored leather.
    Last edited by Cyclesmith; 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM.
    Todd Reynolds
    Union Orphan Extraordinaire

Comment

Wow, those are some shiney brogans in that outdoors photo. Interesting pose. He really locks himself in place by standing in the firing position plus leaning ever so slightly against that tree. Hard to tell the officer's rank. It appears to be one more example of a nonfield officer wearing a double breasted frock. I've seen many examples of line officers with double breasted frocks.

That's a great photo.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

If I remember correctly he's a major
        Todd Reynolds
        Union Orphan Extraordinaire

Comment

Working...
        X