1842 Nosecap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1842 Nosecap

Some weeks back several members educated me regarding the M1842 and the proper sighted nosecap for said weapon. I explained that I had a '42 from Loyalist with a nosecap minus sight. Apparently blockade runner sells replacement nosecaps with the proper brass sight. Does anyone know whether it would fit on a loyalist '42. An email to Blockade Runner has gone unanswered.

Sam Kilborn Dolan
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: 1842 Nosecap

Sam, I sent my Armi-Sport with incorrect intregal cast iron sight to John Zimmerman and he put a brass blade on it for me.This seems to be the most practical and I'll bet economical response as you just ship him your own upper band(nosecap) Bud
    Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

The part offered by Blockade Runner is likely Italian and may not fit your Indian musket. Putting a front sight on a M1842 front band is simple and Fenianboy's suggestion is likely best unless you can do it yourself or you can find someone locally who can file out and braze on the sight.
      Thomas Pare Hern
      Co. A, 4th Virginia
      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

I also have an 1842 from Loyalist Arms, and it has a front sight. In fact the whole nose cap is brass. Thanks for the info about blockade runner. I will try to contact them for one for my armi sport 42.
        Bill Feuchtenberger
        1st South Carolina Volunteers

Comment

Sorry. I need to claify. My 42 from Loyalist Arms is the Palmetto.
          Bill Feuchtenberger
          1st South CArolina Volunteers

Comment

The Blockade Runner ones are Armi Sport and may not fit the Loyalist version precisely, but might fit if a bit loosely. Best bet is to send in your cap and I'll put one on when Blockade Runner gets it in. That way you know it fits.

Sorry about the lack of response by Blockade Runner. Their normal manager had a baby a few weeks back and has not caught up again after her leave. They are running behind on most orders it seems.

Comment

I thank everyone for the helpful info. I'll send my nosecap to Zimmerman OR you nice folks at Blockade.

Before acquiring this musket I had never heard of Loyalist arms. I sense a certain hesitation from folks when I mention Loyalist. Is there any specific issues regarding their products?

-Sam Kilborn Dolan
              Samuel K. Dolan
              1st Texas Infantry
              SUVCW

Comment

Hallo!

"Is there any specific issues regarding their products?

IMHO, for a general "flavor" of the India or Pakistani made imports some gleanings can be had from:

In brief and to over-generalize... and not a comment or commentary on any vendor or importer:

Reproduction ACW firearms are perhaps the last Great Frontier, and the last bastion of accepted Farbery, in the Civil War Community due to the historical perpetual and near total acceptance of "less than authentic" Italian offerings and either a reluctance to do better due to cost or access to known makers of "authentic" cusotm-made CW firearms to use "better."

With the rise of the Global Economy and the international fall and continuing fall of the U.S. Dollar, the cost of Italian reproductions have been climbing toward and passing the $1,000 mark for some guns.

The rise of Indian and Pakistani makers who pay remarkably less for raw materials and particularly miniscule wages, and who have talent for mimicry and reproduction on a sliding scale of cost and quality has given rise to a growing "niche market" for reenactors balking at the rising costs, and sticker-shock of Italian imports. (Let alone custom-builts, but authentic custom-mades are not really a full part of this discussion).
                These offerings can run a 1/4, 1/3, or even a 1/2 of the cost or so if the Italian 19th and 18th century offerings.

Typically, at times, Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder, and there are on-going discussions past and present regarding the:

1. "faithfulness to detail" found in the Indian or Pakistani offerings
                2. quality of materials, workmanship, fit, and finish
                3. and presently a discussion concerning some of these offerings having been been made as non-firing replicas or "non-guns" but sold as functioning blank and even live-fire weapons without inspections or proofing (some flintlock offerings, for example, do not have touch-holes and the importer or buyer has to drill them). And an Indian-made flintlock that suffered a burst barrel currently under a fact-finding investigation.

Again, not a comment or commentary on any vendor or importer, just a brief and overly-generalized view of the Indian and Pakistani Markets.

And others' mileage will vary...

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

I appreciate the information. I traded for this musket a couple of years ago and have only fired it at events; have never live-fired it. I had never owned a middle-eastern weapon, and would normally be somewhat dubious.

Originally I bought, and still have, a very nice M1841 Percussion Rifle in the earlier .54 Caliber minus bayonet lug. I had hoped to use this weapon occassionally for early war and militia impressions. Never have been able to use it due to the fact that most units shy away from two-band weapons.

Came across this '42 and I am somewhat concerned now that I have been better informed. Is this weapon safe for reenacting? I read yesterday's report of the unfortunate fellow injured and I do not want to suffer myself, or more importantly risk any of my pards.

I will probably never again purchase such a weapon and have my eyes on the Pedersoli 1816 conversion.

Regards,

Sam Kilborn
                  Samuel K. Dolan
                  1st Texas Infantry
                  SUVCW

Comment

Hallo!

Herr Sam...

I do not know that I am in a position to answer your question as to whether your, or anyone's repro M1842 (or Indian or Pakistani made replica) is safe to use for reenacting.
                    And even so, that may well be a larger question left to the importer/seller, owner, comrades, and event hosts/sponsors?

It is my belief, that no importer/seller is knowingly importing or selling, or no owner using and firing, these imports as "unsafe."

Where my larger question lies, and where I do not know, is in the manufacturing of these guns as to Quality Control and ANY possible Indian or Pakistnai Government control, regulation, or inspection such as the Italians have with their government and proofing.

I am NOT knocking the Indians or Pakistani or now Chinese as actually they are capable of "reverse engineering" and creating copies ACROSS the specturm of quality whether an ACW gun or a modern clone of a Colt M1911 pistol or Russian AK-47. However, one "contracts" for a sliding scale of quality, and IMHO one gets what one pays for.
                    And clever, American and Canadian entreprenneurs have seized the market-potential for 18th and 19th century replicas and reproductions to appeal to the Sticker Shock of Italian imports paprpticularly to Newcomers.

IMHO, it would be more appropriate, and of greater value, if the American and Candian importers/sellers of these products would come forward and speak on the issues of Quality Control, Proofing, and Safety In Use.

(Plus, Things That Go Boom, IMHO, are always potential dangerous ordnance that do not lend themselves well to misuse or abuse. Meaning, the reproduction firearm industry has a remarkable record of safe firearms (if that is not an oxy-moron in some ways) over the years. However, accidents do happen, and there are always things that the Loose Nut Behind the Trigger can cause to happen through misuse, abuse, and improper or dangerous operation.)

IMHO, and for me personally, I cannot speak for you. While I doubt your M1842 is a Ticking Time Bomb for you and your comrades in line, and believe it is not- there is a gap of knowledge about its manufacture and testing/proofing that would give me, personally, cause to wonder and ask questions of the right sources (me not being one.)

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hi.
                      This has to do with the thread above. I called Blockaderunner and ordered the nose piece for the 1842. It is on the way. They said it would fit an Armi-Sport. I have an above mentioned gun from India. An 1842 Palmetto. It is a great looking gun and have recieved many compliments on it. However, the barrel seems to widen out at the bottom when one cleans it. It is also not a true .69. More like a .67. We measured the end of the barrel. It works fine for reenacting, but don't know if I would attempt to live fire it. Hope this information helps.
                      Bill Feuchtenberger
                      1st South Carolina Volunteers

Comment

As a member of the USMCHC I participated in a live fire shoot some time back, during which time several members live fired their Loyalist M1842s. I do not remember any of them experiencing anything unusual. All of the other muskets involved came from Dixie (various makers) and were fine. I do remember a couple of guys having to use a bit more effort in ramming the ball home however.

A pard of mine recently acquired one of Loyalist's 1840 conversions, again a nice looking weapon.

I think I will keep my '42 as strictly a blank-fire weapon and do all my live fire with my Euroarms weapons and any future Italian purchases.

-Sam Kilborn
                        Samuel K. Dolan
                        1st Texas Infantry
                        SUVCW

Comment

Working...
                        X