Horse Pistols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Pistols

I know we all hat the "who makes the best___" type threads. What I want to know is does anybody out there reproduce the 1842 Aston, Palmetto, or any of the flint to percussion horse pistols that were undoubtedly used by the Confederate cavalry early in the war. I know Loyalist Arms makes a copy of the 1855 pistol carbine, but what I'm looking for is the large caliber smooth bore horse pistols. Thanks for your help.

Mods: If this needs to be moved, I leave it at your discretion to do so.
    John Spain
    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Re: Horse Pistols

The Third Illinois Cavalry was originally armed with sabres and single shot pistols, and since my great-great grandfather was an officer in that regiment, I thought it would be interesting to have a similar single shot pistol for an early war impression. There is a feller in Argentina who can make the kind of replicas you want. But they are not cheap (about $550) and not entirely accurate either. I was considering having an Aston built until the proprietor of "Middlesex Village" warned me that I would be disappointed by what I would get from Argentina. That "1855 Pistol Carbine" that Palmetto Arms sells, and is also found at Dixie Gunworks is a current regurgitation of a similar "boat anchor" that was made during the 1970's. It's completely farb and a replica of no known pistol. When I mentioned the possibility of having one "defarbed" to John Zimmerman, he sent me drawings of the original 1855 as well as the Aston for comparison and wrote up a list of all the inaccuracies. He advised me it would likely be cheaper to buy an original Aston. One can buy the parts to build an Aston from "The Rifle Shoppe", as well as the parts for an authentic pattern of the 1855 carbine pistol, but don't expect to get the parts any time soon, and do expect to pay a deal of money for the parts and for a competent gunsmith build the pistol for you.
    ~Southern Cal~
    aka: Lawrence J. Bach

Comment

I made a cursory search via google and found this:

Hope it helps.
      Barry A. Jurek

122nd New York

Comment

John,

I have come across one source - in South America. However, in my
        opinion, the '42 Aston they make - like many reproductions - leaves a bit
        to be desired, when compared against an original (wrong shaped lock, too
        much stock in front of the barrell band, etc.).

Have never dealt with this company - and have never heard any talk of
        them on this forum - or any other. Needless to say, not an approved
        vendor - just the only one I know of - making a '42 repro.

http://www.osvaldogatto.com.ar/engli...ogo.php?cat=11

Also - price - a bit steep (although they claim to hand craft each piece).
        Last I checked $600 US (which I believe included shipping).
        John S. Harmon
        Co. K, 4th US

Comment

Have you tried Dixie Gun Works?
          Nick Buczak
          19th Ind

[url]http://www.allempires.com[/url]

Comment

Last time I tried DGW, they had pretty much the same stuff everybody else does, only they charge about 30% more for the same thing.
            John Spain
            4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
            "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Working...
            X