Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living History Employment in Charleston SC

List,

I wanted to let those who may be looking for history jobs know of some openings in the Charleston, SC area at Middleton Place, a gorgeous historic plantation, (see http://www.middletonplace.org/ ) and home to Arthur Middleton, one of the signers of the Declaration from SC. Also it was the home of Williams Middleton who signed his name to the Ordinance of Secession. The 56th NY torched and sacked the grounds in February of 1865.

I must tell you, I work there presently and that neither position pays a king's ransom, but it is interesting work and can be great experience for someone starting out or for the semi-retired. Its a fun place to work and they are very flexible and open to improving the interpretation. Also health and dental benefits are available. They are looking for an emphasis on interpretation overall.

The position is for an interpreter in the stableyards/barn area and driving the carriages around the grounds as the day dictates. The positions are for candidates who don't mind doing a bit of work and getting their hands dirty while educating the public. Really is right up any good living historians line of work.

Hope this is useful for some folks out there. Feel free to drop a PM if I can be of any help.
    Regards,
    Daniel Gidick

LIVESTOCK INTERPRETER
    Combine an interest in both animals and history by telling the story of the Middleton Place livestock including cows, sheep, goats, horses, poultry and America's first water buffalo. No experience necessary. Flexible schedules available but Sundays required. Candidates must be dependable with valid SC driver's license and reliable transportation. Applications are available at the Middleton Place Visitor Center at 4300 Ashley River Road (Highway 61) or fax resume to (843) 766-4460 or email to info@middletonplace.org. No phone calls please.

CARRIAGE DRIVER
    Tell the story of Middleton Place while driving a team of Belgian horses. No experience necessary. We provide all training. Flexible schedules available but weekends required. Candidates must be dependable with valid SC driver's license and reliable transportation. Applications are available at the Middleton Place Visitor Center at 4300 Ashley River Road (Highway 61) or fax resume to (843) 766-4460. No phone calls please.
    Last edited by Charlestonian; 10-25-2007, 07:40 AM.
Working...
X