Topics of religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topics of religion

Mods if this isn't the right place put this thread where ever you think best.

After searching the FAQs on posting here and not finding any rules other than "Sign your name to every post, No FARBism and no modern politics" can we discuss religion here on the A/C Forum? I'm just looking out for the well being of others that might be offended at religious views held by other members. So I thought I'd ask and head it off at the pass!

This topic doesn't have any thing to do with the reason the A/C forums were created. This issue seems to be another of those inflammatory subjects that often offends people :angry_smi and ends badly. :baring_te "Don't talk about religion and politics at parties!" is the old saying.

Due to the current trend of issues or topics that can't be discussed here that has relevance to the hobby; I thought I'd ask this question so we could get a ruling on it from the staff, the Mods, and forum NCOs. :D Thanks!
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Topics of religion

These type discussions have not worked well in the past for the reasons you stated. As long as the discussion remains in the context of the Civil War period we do not have a problem with it but as soon as it crosses into the modern realm the problems begin. People have a very difficult time keeping the discussion within the historical context and end up offending people left and right. You will find several of these past discussions using the search feature. Speaking for myself and not as a moderator having seen how discussions of this topic usually have turned out I would leave this topic alone.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

As long as everyone agrees with my views on religion everything ought to be just fine.:D
      Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen,
        Keeping in the context of this forum there are some good research areas out there. In Indiana there is a living history museum, Conner Prairie. In the main the museum deals with the year 1836 and the staff, professionals all, have conducted some outstanding research. One such area of research was religion in Indiana precluding the Civil War.
        Here are the link to navigate your way there:
        Conner Prairie is Indiana's first Smithsonian affiliated museum. Located in Central Indiana, we preserve history, enhance innovation and steward nature.

Select “Discover and Learn”
        Select “History Online”
        Select “America 1800 to 1860”
        Select “Religion in Indiana in the 1830s”
        At least for the “Old North West” this will give you some insight into period religious activities.
        Your Servant
        Andy
        P.S. There are a lot of other good articles from politics to food, to farming, to building the national road.
        [FONT=Times New Roman]Andy Wash[/FONT]

Comment

Hallo!

As a moderator on another board that does allow "religious discussions," IMHO, the problem is that folks ultimately CANNOT separate or long keep separated "modern religion" from "period religion."
          (and some argue there is no difference as the Truth is as old as Creation and older...)

With over 800 recognized religious denominations, and thousands of "degrees," and tens of thousands of local churches- ultimately most so-called "discussions" typically end up torn between who is right and who is wrong, numerous interpretations of Scripture, individual church dogma, proselytizing, and for some threats and warnings about who gets taken up in the End Day Rapture and who has their soul shredded or burns in Hell for Eternity, etc., etc.

While the religious beliefs of the Civil War era are an important part of our understanding of the Civil War era man and woman, many of we "moderns" have a long and proven record of being unable to stay focused on the Period for more than a few minutes if not seconds.

However, IMHO, what is allowed or not, is a matter of the site owner's wishes.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

And since the original poster waited until that owner was announced to be out of town, it will be a while before there is an official "ruling."

But, here's how such a topic will be moderated this weekend: Respectful, research-based discussion of HISTORIC religious tenets, practices, dogma, etc can be had here. I don't care what a person does in modern life; I've participated in numerous discussions among those of very different modern persuasions, on historic religion, and without vitriol or anger. That's not a problem. Any hint of modern religious practice or debate is going to have my Moderator Bonnet out fast, firmly tied on, and the member liberally flogged with a dampened rayon snood--this is not the place for it. So before introducing a topic on historic religion, it would behoove a member to research the aspect of religion they wish to discuss, as opposed to assuming that historic practices jive entirely with any particular sect's modern practices.
            Regards,
            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I agree with what Curt said.

I also belive that if you study up and research the Second Great Awakening, you will have the basic understanding of the religion during the Civli War. It will help you understand why there were all kinds of revivals that broke out in camps and how it influenced the soldiers and civilians every day lives.
              Religion can make a good topic to discuss as long as it stays on topic. I do have a problem though when someone goes to talking period religion but cant stick with the topic because they want to throw in their modern day theological and philosophical views.
              IMHO, one needs to have a background understanding in the religion before posting if that is what one whishes to discuss.

A 2002 graduate of History from the Louisville Bible College:D
              Micah Trent
              Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
              Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

It would appear that folks are already getting hot under the collar before any one has even posted a negative remark. My last post I believe has shown that research on the subject can be conducted and shared without any feathers being ruffled.
                If you look at it in a historical perspective it was what it was. You can’t change the past and you do not have to try to change anyone beliefs to delve into the religious stands of the day.
                Just my humble opinion.
                Andy
                [FONT=Times New Roman]Andy Wash[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ElizabethClark View Post
                  Respectful, research-based discussion of HISTORIC religious tenets, practices, dogma, etc can be had here. I don't care what a person does in modern life; I've participated in numerous discussions among those of very different modern persuasions, on historic religion, and without vitriol or anger. That's not a problem. Any hint of modern religious practice or debate is going to have my Moderator Bonnet out fast, firmly tied on, and the member liberally flogged with a dampened rayon snood--this is not the place for it.
                  Sounds like a plan to me. Makes no sense to ban all discussion of religion any more than it does to ban all discussion of guns. It's just the modern discussion that causes problems.

Hank Trent
                  hanktrent@voyager.net
                  Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Rear Rank 2 View Post
                    It would appear that folks are already getting hot under the collar before any one has even posted a negative remark. My last post I believe has shown that research on the subject can be conducted and shared without any feathers being ruffled.
                    If you look at it in a historical perspective it was what it was. You can’t change the past and you do not have to try to change anyone beliefs to delve into the religious stands of the day.
                    Just my humble opinion.
                    Andy
                    Andy,

I don't think anyone is "getting hot under the collar". It's just that relgion can be a sensitive topic to discuss.
                    Micah Trent
                    Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Nope, no hotness.

Just pre-emptive warning. :) I'm entirely open to polite discussion of the role of historic religion in historic life this weekend, but don't want members getting touchy if they're making modern religious/faith-based commentary and get their posts removed or edited. Past experiences tend to influence current preemptions.

(And the link Mr. Wash shared is a nifty one... thanks!)
                      Regards,
                      Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Yes, I opened this thread and I would really like to know. I used the search function and came up with no topics under religion or religious used as a search word in both titles and body. I agree as long as a civil tongue and is pertinent to practices of the period it should be allowed. But as soon as it goes from polite to rude to down right anti social, it needs to be shut down. I haven't seen anything in this thread that falls into the rude or anti-social category yet.

Ms Clark, I didn't plan on this as we had a hot discussion about it over here. The paraell here was just clicked due to recent post I've been involved with, so I thought I'd ask. I'm willing to wait until next week when they return. Thanks!
                        [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                        Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                        [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                        Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                        Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                        The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Since we're all determined to be civil... how about we invite everyone interested over to the Citizen's Discussion area, and I'll start a religion thread?
                          Regards,
                          Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Working...
                          X