This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform destroyed?

Ugh, mother nature got me good this time. I had my uniform on the ground from after an event and it rained....you know the drill. Everything is drenched. It was a brand new uniform. Is there any hope?
    Patrick Rooney

Re: Uniform destroyed?

Put it on and wear it until it is dry, no problem.
    Thomas Pare Hern
    Co. A, 4th Virginia
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

But DO NOT wear it in the sun.
      David Casey

Comment

Sheep survive rainstorms all the time. It really shouldn't be a huge problem.

Let it dry with good air circulation, after using your hands to press/squeeze as much water out as possible. Wet wool is heavier than dry wool, so make sure it's nicely supported, and turn it frequently.

If you do wear it until it dries, and it's a hot day, anticipate some degree of felting in high friction areas, such as under the arms and the inside legs.

Once dry, use a natural bristle brush to brush out any dried mud.

Otherwise, be reassured--wool is a great fiber, and CAN BE WASHED. Sheep do not shrink after a storm, even if they rub up against things. Wool can even be boiled clean (though, generally, live sheep should *not* be boiled to clean them.)

What you don't want to do is toss your uniform into hot water with soap, rub it around a lot, then toss it into a cold water rinse. That will give you Ken Doll Uniform Pieces.

The Originals did get soggy. They dried off. They brushed off the mud. They kept going. No biggie. This is a great chance to experience How Textiles Work. :)
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Real soljers gawt rained upon during the war, why not your uniform?
          GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
          High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hallo!

Rule No. 1: It rains.
            Rule No. 2. One gets wet.
            Rule No. 3: The sun comes out.
            Rule No. 4; One gets dry.
            Rule No. 5: It will rain again, some time.

Wool shrinks (and gets fuzzier) by two methods: heat and/or agitation. Getting wet will NOT, in and of itself ,cause shrinkage or fuzzying. Heat, and/or agitation will (even agitation in cold water.).
            This was actually done on purpose in the manufacturing of woolen textiles, and was called 'fulling." Blankets were fulled, sometimes several times over, which causes the "scales" on the wool fiber to pop out, and for the fibers to expand and intermesh to cause a denser mass with more trapped air spaces- and this improves its warmth or insulating factor.

Curt
            Wooley Bare Mess
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you all :)
              Patrick Rooney

Comment

At a recent event I was scouting out a place to water our horses. The only place I found that was accesible had steep banks and an uncertain footing. When the horse stepped into the creek he sank quite a bit and got startled by the muddy bottom. He freaked and in the process managed to toss me off and into the creek. Gear and all I hit bottom about 3" under water. When I came up for air water poured out of my carbine barrel and my hat nearly floated away!

On reaching solid ground I had to dump out the 3"+ of water in my boots, drain my haversack and pour out the water that had entered my cartridge and cap pouches. My coat and trousers were covered in sticky dark mud and everything I had on my was saturated!

After taking a few minutes to laugh at my misfortune and dry off a bit I put everthing back together and rode for the rest of the day. Fortunately it was a warm night so I stayed pretty warm, but my sack coat was still soaked the next morning!

Once I got home it was time to clean my weapons and gear. My pistol had turned to a solid piece of rust, much of the bluing came off my carbine barrel in the effort to remove the rust. My original sabre fared well with only some surface rust on the scabbard. I put my uniform on the line to dry for a few days and took a stiff brush and a rug beater to the coat to remove the ground in mud (some of which is still there). The best part was my cartridge boxes. All the rounds had turned to a putty like substance, and in each pouch there was close to an inch of dried up mud, despite the pouches being closed and buttoned up at the time of the fall.

Long story short, after some drying, oiling and TLC all my stuff is in just as good a shape as it was before it got wet...so yes a little rain on your uniform won't hurt!

As for me falling in the creek like that is probably one of the most authentic things I have done in my reenacting career! :tounge_sm

Take care,
                Tom Craig
                Tom Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Craig View Post
                  As for me falling in the creek like that is probably one of the most authentic things I have done in my reenacting career! :tounge_sm

Take care,
                  Tom Craig
                  Not to mention it was d _ _ n funy!

Dave Myrick

Comment

Getting the uniform wet would be very authentic, especially wearing it while it is drying. Personal experience spoken here. It is not that bad. The suggestions made here are very good. I like most here have,and will get our items wet. Just make sure you clean everything properly when you get home.
                    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

For me personally, it takes quite a heavy rain for me to worry about putting my gum blanket around me since it gets in the way more than anything IMHO. Wool keeps you warm even when wet so as long as you don't mind a few pounds of water on you it realy doesn't hurt the wool.
                      Robert Collett
                      8th FL / 13th IN
                      Armory Guards
                      WIG

Comment

Hurricane Katrina added a great deal of "character to my kit. I don't think that it ruined my uniform, seeing as I am still wearing it to this day. It just looks like I have gone through a few months of mud and rain without washing. The stench dosn't quite smell like a decaying raccoon, so It worked out well.(the 16 feet of water was a bonus, I guess.)
                        Tyler Gibson
                        The Independent Rifles

Comment

When the 'stank' factor becomes too great, it can be remedied by the application of white vinegar, then allow the uniform to air and dry throughly before storage. This will also inhibit mold.
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Got wet then, got wet now, too. When my Engineer unit was in Central America we discovered it was actually easier to forget the rain gear, let it rain, get wet, then dry out when it warmed up again. Many of us do the same while reenacting WWII, as well. as mentioned, your uniform will just look that much "better." Not bad once you get used to it.

- Jay Reid
                            Dreamer42
                            Jay Reid

Comment

This thread is a joke, right?
                              Spence Waldron~
                              Coffee cooler

"Straggled out and did not catch up."

Comment

Working...
                              X