Stolen Enfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Enfield

November 2nd- Friday Evening- My Enfield was stolen out of my vehicle parked in my own driveway. It was defarbed by Lodgewood - marked "Tower 1862" with Birmingham Arms cartouche, with an original sights, 25-25 stamps on barrel, was in great shape. I live in the North Georgia area (Calhoun). I purchased the rifle used from a friend a few years back. Anyone with any info please call the Gordon County Sheriff's Office or me- Tony Patton-706-618-5181.

Thank You ,
    Tony Patton
    Blue Ridge Mess
    Tony Patton

Re: Stolen Enfield

Tony, sorry for the loss. That's a pretty low down deed. I'll keep my eye out around town for you.
    Good Luck,
    Eric N. Harley-Brown
    Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

I am sure you have already tried. But I would suggest checking all local and outlying pawn shops.
      Russell L. Stanley
      Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
      Co.A 45th Mississippi
      Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
      Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Keep a sharp eye out, post with gun collectors as that's not a piece that he'll be able to turn over (for money) very quietly. Good luck, I sense your pain.
        Regards,
        Dennis Neal
        "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
        David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
        Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
        [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
        J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Learn to keep you car locked
          Last edited by GWagner; 11-07-2007, 09:49 AM.
          Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I usually do keep my car locked, I slipped up this one time and it cost me. Heaven help'em if I see someone lurking around outside the house.

Tony Patton
            Blue Ridge Mess
            Tony Patton

Comment

After thirty six years as a firefighter I have yet to see a car that we couldn't unlock, In fact it is easer now than ever!

Try to lock your musket in the trunk. If the trunk is too small camouflage your valuables under old newspapers,clothes,etc

Criminals have the same tools that locksmiths and firefighters use.
              [FONT=Times New Roman]Charles Hollis[/FONT]

Comment

Tony,

I am soooo sorry to hear that! I do hope you recover that little gem of an Enfield...I'll let ya know if I hear/see anything!
                Robert W. Hughes
                Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                Thrasher Mess
                Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

I feel your pain!! i had my first 1863 Springfield stolen twenty years ago by MY EX-WIFE, The worst part about it is, it was one me and my dad built from a kit from Navy arms before he died. I can still remeber the markings on it, Serial #608 on top of the barrel next to the nipple, God i wish i had that one back!!!
                  Rick Spencer
                  19th U.S. infantry, The Rock Of Chickamauga!
                  Ohio Valley Civil War Assoc.
                  66th ill. Birge's Western Sharpshooters
                  [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

Wow, I am awfully sorry. Hope you get it back. I don't have a musket yet, but am very aware of the current price for them; it is high!

David Green

Comment

Unfortunately, you had it "defarbed", which has removed all traces of the serial number.....
                      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by GWagner View Post
                        Learn to keep you car locked
                        Dang that's pretty sorry thing to say, oh well there are A$$holes in every hobby!!
                        [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                        [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                          Unfortunately, you had it "defarbed", which has removed all traces of the serial number.....
                          Good point. However, that doesn't mean that you can't put identifying marks on your own musket yourself. When I purchased my Enfield back in 1989, it was used and already had the modern marks removed. However, I have since marked it in such a way that I can verify that it is mine if it is ever stolen. There are many ways and places that you can mark your own rifle if it has been defarbed, but the serial number was not transferred to the underside of the barrel.

I would recommend folks give their muskets a good look, inside and out, and be sure that they are marked with a unique identifier somewhere, visible or not on an assembled piece. If it ain't marked, mark it.

Meanwhile, if the local pawn shops don't turn anything up, I would recommend checking...
                          auctionarms.com
                          gunbroker.com
                          gunsamerica.com
                          or ebay (if someone is trying to part it out)

Also... (start soapbox mode) If I had a musket stolen, I'd be mad as hell and I wouldn't appreciate folks assuming that I was a too daft to lock my car. As has been noted many other places, this end of the hobby is small and (by all accounts) shrinking... to a certain extent, we're all we've got; we're family. So let's show some consideration. (end soapbox mode)
                          Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM.
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Thank You John.

Tony Patton
                            Blue Ridge Mess
                            Tony Patton

Comment

Yep,

Criminals have the same tools as Locksmiths and Fireman, but they usually dont mess with them as it takes to much time for them. Number one tool...a ROCK. Not locking your car did save you some damage, so dont let that get you down, lets try some stuff to get your gun back.

If by chance the original serial number was removed and placed on the bottom of the barrel, under the wood, then that is the number you need to give to the police. They can then enter it into NCIC as a stolen weapon. Assuming your PD has detectives that check pawn shops regularly, or by chance the gun is rec0vered an entry into NCIC may lead to the recovery of the rifle. If that "608" is the only number, it can be entered as well, along with any info about the cartouches and the like to better "Enhance" the NCIC report. With any luck, your PD talks to other area agencies and they all compile a monthly intel report. These intel reports spread the word about your stolen weapon, and sometimes result in some really good recoveries and arrests.

Best of luck.
                              Last edited by Canton Zouave; 11-08-2007, 01:54 PM. Reason: OOPs all left handed typing just doesnt work.
                              Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                              Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                              Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
                              X