Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R & R

Greetings all,
    While reading a bit from Hardtack and Coffee author John Billings mentioned when soldiers of the Potomac were marching they'd most often stop for a rest, brew up some coffee and salt pork. He expressed the renewed energy in the soldier's step after that small rest and rations. Was this often used and could this statement have been used enough by the rank and file to evolve into the famous "R & R" we are so familiar with today? He didn't use the term "R & R" that I can find so far, but it does ring familiar.

- Jay Reid
    Dreamer42
    Jay Reid

Re: R & R

The possibility is there, but in my mind "rest and rations" is quite a bit different concept than "rest and recreation".
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B
    Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
    Outpost III

Comment

I have never seen any reference to Civil War soldiers using the term "R&R" or "rest and rations" as a term, outside of Billings's reference.

Comment

R & R, as the term we know it to be today is more associated with "rest and recuperation" or "rest and relaxation", something every servicemember who spent time in Vietnam looked forward to. I haven't seen, in any of my readings or studies, anything related to R & R being used by soldiers in the 19th century. I'll have to ask my grandfather about what they used to refer to downtime as, but then again they didnt get much in WW2.
        Last edited by VA-Patriot'61; 11-06-2007, 12:57 PM. Reason: update of terms...
        Cheers,
        [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Thanks, guys. I have never heard of such a term from the 1860s, but wondered if it had some origin from the time. I have read many WWII references, as well as spoken to veterans, so I know it goes back to at least the 1940s.

- Jay Reid
          Dreamer42
          Jay Reid

Comment

In my experience I have always heard R & R to mean rest and relaxation. Maybe I am just crazy, or perhaps the original phrase has changed meaning over the years.

David Green

Comment

OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, vol 36, Part 1 (Wilderness-Cold Harbor)
              Page 685 , Chapter XLVIII. RAPIDAN TO THE JAMES.

"May 13, 5 a. m., a reconnaissance discovered the works which had been so tenaciously held the day previous vacated by the enemy. The brigade was marched at 10 a. m. to the left for rest and rations, opposite the position in which we fought on the 12th. At midnight the pickets exchanged a fire for nearly an hour, and several shells were thrown by the enemy into the camp. "

OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, vol 27, Part 1 (Gettysburg Campaign)
              Page 842 N. C., VA., W. VA., MD., PA., ETC. Chapter XXXIX.

"My command immediately resumed their places in the entrenchments with the One hundred and thirty-seventh Regiment New York Volunteers, who had come forward to relieve us (time, 10 p. m.). We remained until the enemy were forced back, when I brought my command back to the rear in the hollow for rest and rations, as the men had had nothing to eat since the morning of July 2."

OFFICIAL RECORDS: Series 1, vol 24, Part 2 (Vicksburg)
              Page 232 Mississippi, WEST TENNESSEE, ETC. Chapter XXXVI.

"Agreeably to orders, I moved the brigade forward before daylight next morning to our line of pickets, and remained during the day at this point, skirmishing with the enemy. I ordered a strong picket to remain, and had the brigade to retire for the night for rest and rations."
              [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
              [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Working...
              X