Just brought back from Afghanistan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just brought back from Afghanistan!

My buddies sister-in-law was stationed in Afghanistan for a year and came back with these gems.

The 1861 Enfield looks to be converted to a breech loading "snider" probably sometime after 1866 right??? I know that Woolwich Arsenal tested some 50 different types of conversions for the Enfield musket in 1864 and decided on American Jacob Snider's conversion. By all means correct me if I'm off on this since my knowledge in this area is very limited. That means...."Curt or Wick" step up to the plate!
    Last edited by AndrewMartin; 01-21-2008, 10:01 AM.
    Andrew Martin
    GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
    150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
    200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
    150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Re: Just brought back from Afghanistan!

The next is a Enfield 1874 Martini-Henry Mk I or IV, right???
    Last edited by AndrewMartin; 01-21-2008, 10:01 AM.
    Andrew Martin
    GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
    150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
    200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
    150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

I notice the lockplate, although stamped 1861, doesn't seem to have the double line groove around the edge. Any thoughts?
      Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Some of the Enfield plates had double lines, some singles and some none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 10TnVI View Post
          I notice the lockplate, although stamped 1861, doesn't seem to have the double line groove around the edge. Any thoughts?
          The engraved double line is a feature typically associated with Birmingham produced Enfields. The features seen here (no engraved line, non-coat-hanger-shaped rear sling swivel) are more "Londonesque". I'm not sure where Enfield-made Enfields are produced ("Why 'Enfield', John, of course!!), but, as I said, the features look a bit more "Londony" to me. :wink_smil

Interesting Note: The interpretters at the Citadel in Halifax, Nova Scotia use original 3-band Snyder conversions. Sweeeet!! :shades_sm:nerd:
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Yep, that's a conversion and a typical Enfield (RSAF- Royal Small Arms Factory) lockplate. Normally Enfields had no lines or corresponding Engraved flames or lines on the hammer. These are from the London area. Should have circular washers opposite the lock. The reason is starting about 1859 Enfield stocks were made by machine instead of hand, and when made a square is hard to make by a bit. Parts should be interchangeable with other Enfields. Birmingham guns normally have the 2 line engraving on the locks and hammers and maked "Tower". Birmingham guns may have "V.R", "V R", "V. R.", "V R." or no Queens mark (Victoria Regina) at all under the Crown; and sometimes no crown left of the hammer. Todd is correct! Occasionally the engraving turns up on London gun lock plates. I have a great P60 Enfield stamped "1860" over "Enfield" that I bought over here!

Nice MH! Is it shootable? Looks to be a modified Mk I (modded to a Mk II). Check out this Website for more MH info:

http://www.martinihenry.com/
            Last edited by Prodical Reb; 11-07-2007, 01:05 PM. Reason: added more.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X