This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Englishman punished for his CW hobby

I'm reprinting part of an article I received from the NRA today. I know there are several British reenactors on this site, so I thought it would be topical and that perhaps they might be able to comment on this.

"...In another recent case, the Western Morning News (UK) reported that a 53-year-old English bus driver and U.S. Civil War hobbyist was convicted of importing working firearms after he brought several Civil War-era firearms into the UK.

Jeremy Couchman, who suffers from kidney disease and bad lungs, is facing a prison sentence for importing the firearms, and fears he may die in prison if convicted. His brother, Mark Couchman, said the defendant had been “shredded” by the convictions, and “could well die in jail with this.” He went on to say that his brother was a “good and gentle man and a useful citizen who has been brought down by his hobby.”

Couchman told the jury during the six-day trial that he understood from the section of the law on antiques that everything over 100 years old was antique and required no certificate to import.

So what we have here is a 53-year-old bus driver with serious health problems, who, through pursuing his hobby, has had his life turned completely upside down by the overzealous enforcement of ridiculously strict laws. He faces an extended prison sentence for importing antique firearms he thought were legally obtained. That’s outrageous."
    Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...
Working...
X