Company Paperwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Paperwork

I've been searching out the appropriate paperwork an officer (Lt. or Capt.) might be filling out while on garrison duty. Might there be a source of forms of the period either online of through a vendor? A few of the forms I'm looking for are Enlistment, Discharge, and Casualty. I've found some filled-out versions online, but would rather not have to re-invent the wheel and start from scratch creating new ones that might not be appropriate. I'm also looking for paperwork that goes back to the earrly 1850's for the garrison oficer's impression I'm proposing.

The resources on the West coast seem to be a bit more slim than for you fellers in the East.

I have found Sullivan Press, but am curious if there are others, as we are a rather destitute institution. (Their work seems to be top notch, BTW)
    Last edited by Custerboy; 11-11-2007, 07:27 AM.
    James H. Marks
    2nd California Cavalry, Co. F

Re: Company Paperwork

James,

Michael Schaffner (Pvt Schnapps) and the Scriveners have written and compiled a tremendous resource on paperwork. See this thread.

For specific questions, Michael has been very generous with his well-informed answers.

Comment

I would also recommend the book "The Company Clerk: What to do and How to do It", a period book which has been reprinted a few times. It has several forms within its covers.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

This is exactly what I was looking for. My Company thanks you all.

Is there a resource for earlier forms and paperwork? Would these forms be accurte for that era? I need to get to the year 1853.
        Last edited by Custerboy; 11-11-2007, 10:45 AM.
        James H. Marks

Comment

The primary reenactor reference is, as linked above, Mike Schaffner's excellent "School of the Clerk" monograph. For period starters, as recommended above check out August Kautz's "The Company Clerk" and, yes, the US Army Regulations of 1861.

Quite a number of "forms" as reenactors tend to view them were not pre-printed blank forms at all, but rather formats that the company- or battalion clerk was to use when writing out the company or regimental books, which were books that were initially blank paper or lined paper. Much of what's in Kautz's "The Company Clerk" was actually formats for the company clerk to use when filling out those blank books. Bear in mind that Kautz's book was intended to help company clerks with stuff that wasn't necessarily inherently obvious; it is not necessarily a complete primer on how to do all company paperwork particularly the stuff that was done on pre-printed blank forms.

While many folks sort of downplay period army paperwork as boring and irrelevant to reenactors beyond maybe morning report forms, in fact, an understanding of period military paperwork provides one with great insight into how the company, regiment, and US Army as a whole actually functioned in the war years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
            The primary reenactor reference is, as linked above, Mike Schaffner's excellent "School of the Clerk" monograph. For period starters, as recommended above check out August Kautz's "The Company Clerk" and, yes, the US Army Regulations of 1861.

Quite a number of "forms" as reenactors tend to view them were not pre-printed blank forms at all, but rather formats that the company- or battalion clerk was to use when writing out the company or regimental books, which were books that were initially blank paper or lined paper. Much of what's in Kautz's "The Company Clerk" was actually formats for the company clerk to use when filling out those blank books. Bear in mind that Kautz's book was intended to help company clerks with stuff that wasn't necessarily inherently obvious; it is not necessarily a complete primer on how to do all company paperwork particularly the stuff that was done on pre-printed blank forms.

While many folks sort of downplay period army paperwork as boring and irrelevant to reenactors beyond maybe morning report forms, in fact, an understanding of period military paperwork provides one with great insight into how the company, regiment, and US Army as a whole actually functioned in the war years.
            I am seeing that many, if not most, of the paperwork earlier than 1861 was created by the clerk filling them in. The deeper I get into this area of Army life the better the big picture gets. I'm finding the behind-the-scenes research even more interesting than battles fought.

Thanks for the insight.
            James H. Marks

Comment

For what it's worth, five years ago (2002) Scot Buffington of the 3rd USV informed me that he was writing a thesis for his masters degree on the topic of US Army paperwork in the Civil War era. In addition to Mike Schaffner, he might be a good source to contact.

I recall serving with Scot at 140th Antietam in a combined 3rd USV/Potomac Legion battalion, and when we captured three or four Confederate infantrymen during overnight picket duty in the cornfield, there at 1:30 a.m. Scot was rummaging in his officer haversack and pulling out parole blanks and filling them out for the "prisoners". I had to admire a man that came to an even that prepared--I'd never actually seen anyone use parole forms before, let alone in the middle of the night. :)

Comment

For what it's worth, five years ago (2002) Scot Buffington of the 3rd USV informed me that he was writing a thesis for his masters degree on the topic of US Army paperwork in the Civil War era. In addition to Mike Schaffner, he might be a good source to contact.

I recall serving with Scot at 140th Antietam in a combined 3rd USV/Potomac Legion battalion, and when we captured three or four Confederate infantrymen during overnight picket duty in the cornfield, there at 1:30 a.m. Scot was rummaging in his officer haversack and pulling out parole blanks and filling them out for the "prisoners". I had to admire a man that came to an even that prepared--I'd never actually seen anyone use parole forms before, let alone in the middle of the night. :)
                The older I get, the more that is what this hobby is all about. Details.
                James H. Marks

Comment

I'd never actually seen anyone use parole forms before, let alone in the middle of the night. :)
                  It happened again at Outpost III - though our adjutant had them in the field desk, rather than his haversack (not that I know the contents of his haversack!). Capt. Ewing sent me to headquarters to get some information regarding a proposed patrol around midnight, and I had to wait my turn with the lieutenant - he was occupied filling out the parole for a careless Tennesseean who had been jumped by the Federal pickets.

Jim Moffet
                  4th Sergeant, Co. B, 89th Illinois (ret.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Moffet View Post
                    It happened again at Outpost III
                    Of that I have no doubt (although, being a guest of the Rebel provost guard for much of Saturday, no one asked me to sign anything prior to my carcass being foisted back off on the visiting team), although since 140th Antietam I've seen others use parole forms at other events. Heck, I even had so sign one myself a couple times when I portrayed a Confederate captured by Dastardly Yankee Invaders in 2003 and again in 2004. :)

It also wouldn't surprise me if someone who attended Outpost 1 or 2 (1999 and 2000) witnessed use of parole forms as well. I certainly apologize if my post implied that what I saw at 140th Antietam was the first instance of someone using such forms--it was merely the first time I'd personally witnessed it.

Comment

he was occupied filling out the parole for a careless Tennesseean who had been jumped by the Federal pickets
                      He wasn't careless - he was a deserter! He was returned to our company though. :baring_te
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by Custerboy View Post
                        I am seeing that many, if not most, of the paperwork earlier than 1861 was created by the clerk filling them in. The deeper I get into this area of Army life the better the big picture gets. I'm finding the behind-the-scenes research even more interesting than battles fought.

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks Kevin and Kathy for the kind words on "School." Most of what I know is in there, but I have a few additional thoughts on forms.

First, if you want to see some examples of forms ruled out by hand, it's worth a trip (online) to the Roy Bird Cook collection, which has a wide variety of Confederate documents. Interestingly, it seems that monthly returns were preprinted early in the war, then more and more often became ruled out by hand. See http://www.libraries.wvu.edu/Roy_Cook_JPG/

Before the war I suspect that all but the most common forms were so ruled out. I think most books were printed -- on August 29, 1861, the U. S. Government contracted with McLaughlin Brothers of Philadelphia for books for the new volunteer regiments, including 300 each of General Order, Regimental Order, Letter, Descriptive, and Index Books (from 65 cents to $1.93 each), plus 3,000 each of company clothing, descriptive, and morning report books (at 56 cents to $1.15 each), plus... well, you get the idea. I don't think they would go out so early for so many books if they didn't know exactly what they wanted and needed, and had examples ready at hand.

Kautz's "Company Clerk" lists a range of other forms available through the A.G.O. relating to the above, plus various rolls and personnel documents, also several key QM forms (e.g., return of clothing, camp and garrison equipage -- initially quarterly, then monthly -- clothing receipt roll, and various receipts and invoices). But as many as there are, they don't cover the full range of forms in the Regulations, most of which could conceivably come into play at a post in the 1850's.

In contrast to the forms listed by Kautz, the Ordnance Department "Instructions for Making Quarterly Returns" clearly describes its forms, in 1863, as "never before supplied", probably because they just weren't needed that much before the war.

Anyway, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions you think I can help with. This is an interesting part of the hobby for a whole range of reasons, and I think you'll have fun with it.
                        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post

Thanks Kevin and Kathy for the kind words on "School." Most of what I know is in there, but I have a few additional thoughts on forms.

First, if you want to see some examples of forms ruled out by hand, it's worth a trip (online) to the Roy Bird Cook collection, which has a wide variety of Confederate documents. Interestingly, it seems that monthly returns were preprinted early in the war, then more and more often became ruled out by hand. See http://www.libraries.wvu.edu/Roy_Cook_JPG/

Before the war I suspect that all but the most common forms were so ruled out. I think most books were printed -- on August 29, 1861, the U. S. Government contracted with McLaughlin Brothers of Philadelphia for books for the new volunteer regiments, including 300 each of General Order, Regimental Order, Letter, Descriptive, and Index Books (from 65 cents to $1.93 each), plus 3,000 each of company clothing, descriptive, and morning report books (at 56 cents to $1.15 each), plus... well, you get the idea. I don't think they would go out so early for so many books if they didn't know exactly what they wanted and needed, and had examples ready at hand.

Kautz's "Company Clerk" lists a range of other forms available through the A.G.O. relating to the above, plus various rolls and personnel documents, also several key QM forms (e.g., return of clothing, camp and garrison equipage -- initially quarterly, then monthly -- clothing receipt roll, and various receipts and invoices). But as many as there are, they don't cover the full range of forms in the Regulations, most of which could conceivably come into play at a post in the 1850's.

In contrast to the forms listed by Kautz, the Ordnance Department "Instructions for Making Quarterly Returns" clearly describes its forms, in 1863, as "never before supplied", probably because they just weren't needed that much before the war.

Anyway, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions you think I can help with. This is an interesting part of the hobby for a whole range of reasons, and I think you'll have fun with it.
                          We are starting an Environmental Living Program where I work, and as part of that program will come the paperwork that would normally be associated with soldiering at a garrison. This information is invaluable to creating the correct atmosphere of what garrison life was actually like, and probably still is.
                          Last edited by Custerboy; 11-14-2007, 08:22 PM.
                          James H. Marks

Comment

Just a note about "The Company Clerk." If you can find a reprint copy, by all means get it. If you have trouble finding one, the Military Info Publishing company can help. Their materials are photocopies from original sources. I have requested other materials from them, and have been pleased. I have not requested TCC, as I have a reprint copy, so I'm sending this along strictly sight unseen in this case.

Scroll down to Kautz, Item 530, $18.00
                            John Taylor

Comment

If you read Daniel Chisolm's Civil War diary you get quite an understanding of how much paperwork was done during the war. Sometimes it seems as if he does nothing else for his entire time in the service. Sam CAthey

Comment

Working...
                              X