Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Company Paperwork

Originally posted by SamuelCathey View Post
    If you read Daniel Chisolm's Civil War diary you get quite an understanding of how much paperwork was done during the war. Sometimes it seems as if he does nothing else for his entire time in the service. Sam CAthey
    Chisholm was a rifle-toter. Do you mean William McCarter's memoir? They were in the same regiment, albeit at different times. McCarter was not officially a clerk in his regiment, but served that function in certain ways in his company and for his brigade commander.

Comment

Chisolm was often acting company commander as well as a Sgt, so he basically spent his life filling in forms. Sam Cathey
      Last edited by SamuelCathey; 11-16-2007, 02:15 PM. Reason: forgot to sign

Comment

At Red River 1 as Co 1st Segt I had to track ALL ammo issued, rations issued, men who were sick, who fell out (me included) yada yada yada, form, forms, forms! Served as Adj of the Aof P at Franklin/Nashville and again a large part of my time was spent filling out forms, nothing like consolodating morning reports while freezing at 1-2 AM, what a PITA, but a great experiance. Kautz Company Clerk is a great book, might try searching the Natl Archives to see if they have pre war army records (returns, company books etc...) you could get copies of to see how it was actually done.

Ted Parrott
        "Humbug"
        Edward Anthony Parrott
        "Humbug"

Comment

Working...
        X