Confederate Monument Vandalized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confederate Monument Vandalized

Speaking of damaging monuments, I noticed in Dalton, GA and Aiken SC this year that the cities are planting huge bushes or trees around their Confederate monuments to cover them up. I think it should be against local law to conceal monuments with plants or by any other means.

Planting thorny plants and cacti around the base could be one way to ward off trespassers. I wouldn't object to low level plants. As to the plant concealment, what would be the best plant killer out there, in other words kills everything in one, quick spray??
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Poll on bottom of page right:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/....dll/frontpage
      Galen Wagner
      Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I was aggrieved the above poll did not have my personal option for the vandals of the monument: "Flogged & drawn-and-quartered"

-Johnny
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Dear Fellers ,
          Before we Taliban these youngsters please remember that their frontal lobes are not yet fully developed ! There is an ironic humor to this episode if one doesn't think of what the monuments represent . These young men probably thought of their actions as a humorous prank , not an insult to Alabama's soldiers . If we reflect on it , it was a time honored , small town and college teen age prank to paint deface, carve initials on all monuments or natural features . Lookout Mountain must have more carvings on it than the Sphinx ! Mark Twain remarks on his fellow travellers defacing every ruin they encountered to get a souvenir . Maybe these young fellers could do public service by removing tires etc. from the Alabama River or just get buck and gagged instead of hanged!
          all for the old (not defaced ) , flag ,
          David Corbett
          Dave Corbett

Comment

In defense of the vandals it's only fair that we not ignore that kids are taught by the academic establishment and by popular media that the Confederacy was fighting for slavery and was built on slavery. Slavery is understood by almost everybody as an evil practice and it's no great leap to simply see the CSA as standing for evil. Then these kids walk outside and see a monument honoring the fight for evil. It's a good guys bad guys story.

It must seem to them to be another situation where adults haven't quite made up their mind yet. It's a moral question to them and breaking the law in such a case isn't the worse of decisions.
            [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Said poll closed the same day Galen posted it. Here's the results (not a scientific sample, and utterly meaningless in the great scheme of things)

December 21, 2007
              If convicted as adults, should the three 17-year-olds accused of defacing a Confederate monument ...

44.4% be sentenced to do community service.
              14.4% do at least a little prison time.
              18.2% do at least a year in prison.
              23.1% be sentenced to the maximum 10 years.

Total Votes: 967
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

TAR AND FEATHER THE LITTLE VARMITS!!!:angry_smi
                Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Re: Update

Thank you
                  Bob Brewer
                  Gaithersburg,MD
                  Last edited by rbrewer; 02-10-2008, 08:49 AM. Reason: sorry, its early
                  Robert Brewer

Comment

Re: Update

Originally posted by rbrewer View Post
                    http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional...st=alabamanews

Thank you
                    Bob Brewer
                    Gaithersburg,MD
                    From the article:

"A tip to the Sons of Confederate Veterans, which offered a $1,000 reward for information on the incident, led to the teens' arrest. The Confederate group had initially called for the vandalism to be prosecuted as a hate crime, but backed off that request after white suspects were caught."

oops.

That $1000 could have done a world of good given to CWPT or other battlefield preservation organization...
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

The other funny thing about that situation is I guess there is no such thing as white people hating other white people. It can't be a hate crime unless it is black vs. white?

Sad.
                      Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Most respectfully- these types of cases seem to be, well- black and white, and in this instance I would imagine pursuing a hate crime would have been difficult at best. I would imagine the SCV considered this very carefully. Also in terms of the reward money, IMHO it was well spent, considering the alternative- the (alleged) perpetrators going unpunished.
                        Thank you
                        Bob Brewer
                        Robert Brewer

Comment

While I'm glad that the perpetrators have been apprehended, for the SCV to hinge their decision of moving forward on the "hate crime" issue on whether those arrested were black or white, seems irresponsible to me.
                          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by dusty27 View Post
                            While I'm glad that the perpetrators have been apprehended, for the SCV to hinge their decision of moving forward on the "hate crime" issue on whether those arrested were black or white, seems irresponsible to me.
                            I think they saw the difficulty in such effort and decided it might make a positive result more unlikely.

Here's a thought: Require the three to participate in some CW related activities, under supervision, possibly including as Confederates in a reenactment.
                            Bernard Biederman
                            30th OVI
                            Co. B
                            Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                            Outpost III

Comment

Bernie!! Now think about that one again. The very last thing I'd want is to have these yahoos running about camps in my neck of the woods. And that's perzactly where they'd be---unless you are volunteering to take them up to Ohio and outfit them?

Oh, and as a point of reference, in another article, their mamas say they are good boys......
                              Terre Hood Biederman
                              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Now Miz Terre:

Maybe they ought to send these miscreants over to Selma to help out on some work days. They might make good laborers, especially under the supervision of Mr. Fred or Big Dan Brown, our 2nd Sgt. They'd sure remember they had worked.
                                Andy Redd
                                Andy Redd

Comment

Working...
                                X