Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply Wagon Specs

Pards,

I'm looking for the dimentions of supply wagons in the Army of the potomac. If anyone knows of a museum in the north east that has a supply wagon in its collection, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks,
    Ryan McIntyre
    124th New York State Volunteers
    Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
    Joseph H. Johnston
    March 16th 1863
    Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
    Henry M Howell
    March 8 1863
    In camp Near Falmouth

Re: Supply Wagon Specs

Comrade,
    You need to get ahold of Dave nelson from the 5th New Hampshire, up in NH. He and some other fellows of the unit built a full-size army wagon from plans several years back. If I remember right, they also built an ambulance.
    They had a wealth of information and I am certain that they'd be willing to share with you and your fllow Orange Blossoms. Ho! for the old 3rd Corps, and
    respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Tim,

I know a friend here in MI who wants to build the same. Is Mr. Nelson on this list or could you privately provide us with contact info?

Cheers,

Will Eichler
      3rd Mi, Co. C
      Botsford Mess
      steadiwill@earthlink.net
      Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
      Saginaw City Light Infantry
      Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
      Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
      http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
      www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Atlanta History Center

The Atlanta History Center (http://www.atlhist.org/) has an original Federal supply wagon on display. It doesn't seem to appear on their website, but if you contacted them they might be able to supply you with dimensions and photos.

Regards,
        Bill Reagan
        23rd Reg't
        Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Hi,

For whatever it's worth, page 302 of the U.S. Army Regulations (rev.1863) carries the following:

13. The army wagon being 22 x 42 x 114 inches, inside measurement, boxes for bacon, made 20 x 20 x 28 inches outside measurement (which will contain 225 pounds of bacon) are convenient for _field_ transportation. The boxes should be strapped, and the material be one and one-fourth inch thick, tongued and grooved.

The "inside measurement" stated above presumably refers to the size of the wagon "box."

Also, check out the Time-Life CW series volume discussing Sherman's March to the Sea. This includes a photograph of a surviving supply wagon (possibly the same one currently on display in Atlanta as previously mentioned).

I have seen numerous QM contractor bid solicitations for wagons but, as I recall, not much is stated regarding specific measurements. If I see any, I'll be sure to post them.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I have one located in the local area that I am studying. As of right now, I lack background information. I will tell you however, it is a army wagon U.S. marked (slightly legible) found in Texas. I will keep you up to date as I make return trips to the museum.

Mark Mason
            [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
            [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
            [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Contact Luther Hanson at the QM museum at Ft Lee Va

No known copies of the specs exist as blue prints per se but the museum kindly sent me copies of the Federal Army wagon specs printed in newspapers when the govt was looking for contractors to build said wagons. Pretty detailed.

Kent Dorr, QM Lt
              Army of the Ohio
              (And looking for a suitable wagon myself)

Comment

Thank you all for your posts. Your help is much appreciated..

Thanks again,
                Ryan McIntyre
                124th New York State Volunteers
                Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
                Joseph H. Johnston
                March 16th 1863
                Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
                Henry M Howell
                March 8 1863
                In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

You can also contact Hansen Wheel & Wagon Shop. They have original wagons for sale, either restored or as is, & they also build reproductions. They have pics of an original supply wagon as well as their repros on their site. http://www.hansenwheel.com/

I'm sure they will have the specs you're looking for.

Joseph Hodges
                  [B]Joseph Hodges[/B]

[FONT=Book Antiqua]“… and know that it was in California we learned the art of making long journeys with safety, to endure privations with cheerfulness, and to thrive under the most adverse circumstances, and these have enabled us to make strides in war which may seem gigantic to the uninitiated.”[/FONT]
                  [SIZE=1](excerpt from a letter from Gen. W. T. Sherman to Governor Frederick Low of California, dated Goldsborough, N.C. March 24, 1865)[/SIZE]

Comment

I'm in the process of building 2, maybe 3 wagons for our battalion. there are several online sources, including plans, for the wagons at www.wildhorsebooks.com.

Nick Miller
                    33rd O.V.I.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."-Thomas Jefferson
                    [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
                    -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Sir,this will not help with your supply wagon specs. but you might like this from "Civil War Collector,s Encyclopedia" by Francis A Lord, may I quote, "Wagon, Field Office. The office wagon of the XVIII Army Corps before Petersburg in 1864 had 3 panels on each side and 1 at the rear. All these panels let down to serve as desks. When they were opened, pigeon holes were disclosed, holding various papers,orders, etc. When not on the move, the wheels were removed and the desk wagon rested on wooden horses. The wagon was kept under a large tent, the rear part of which was utilized as corps headquarters." Hope you enjoy this and luck with your project, thanks.
                      Last edited by yeoman; 05-14-2008, 06:04 PM. Reason: correct spelling
                      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
                      X