This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ramming

Personally, I don't have problems with ramming or rifles....not muskets mind you, or fixed bayonets. It all a training and leadership is indicated in previous posts. There are other more pressing safety matters!
    I'm was just trying to clarify RJ's point of distance.

When I originally started this hobby the Mudsills were the closest thing to a CPH there was that I knew of. After joining the Army and a hiatus of 17 years away from the hobby I'm back and wanting to try a CPH event. My standards are there yet but thats why I'm here. One day I'll join you in the CPH ranks. This past year and a half , (10 months of it over here) has raised the level of my kits by leaps and bounds. I'm almost there, missing a few items still. But for the most part I'm good on equipment; and have a good attitude!Next year my goal is to make at least one CPH event as US or CS doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Prodical Reb; 11-19-2007, 01:32 PM. Reason: clarification
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

"This is likely due to the above comment that you would have to be profoundly stupid, and slide under the radar of a good command structure, to pull this one off".
      Justin Runyon

Justin,have you meet some of these people calling themselves reenactors? They scare me,and that is just at registration.
      [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Depends on where you go and who you play with...

Originally posted by Parault View Post
        Justin,have you meet some of these people calling themselves reenactors? They scare me,and that is just at registration.
        I've seen them and what calls itself a reenactor can sometimes be quite scary indeed. Which is why I prefer to reenact at quality events where the herd is thinned by set standards and expectations, rather than a careless deadly act of one of the nimrods allowed to play at the come as you are events. If the standards preclude the attendance of such idiots to begin with, then the rules preventing their idiocy become rather unnecessary.

Personally, I'd just assume not participate in most mainstream sham battles; whether ramrods are pulled or not, they just plain scare me.
        Last edited by AZReenactor; 11-20-2007, 07:41 AM.
        Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
        1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
        Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: Depends on where you go and who you play with...

The chaff was choking out the wheat berries in the other thread, and how.

Unfortunately, in the process of clicking the "post-move-to-a-new-thread" button, a few of the well reasoned responses to the usual carping and fearmongering that actually contained useful ammunition issue information were also moved over here. If the folks who posted that information would care to repost those pertinent ammunition comments via copy/paste in the ammunition thread, then it would a heck of a help.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I love how a common discussion about ramming our rounds or not became a huge argument. Can we have any civil conversations?
            Patrick Rooney

Comment

How about the notion that ramming forces you to slow down your rate of fire to a more realistic level?
              [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
              [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

I think the fear at mainstream events is less of being impaled as the fact that not ramming hinders the madman from firing a live round. I once had a cartridge get a little crooked during a firing demo at Stones River and had to really pound it with the rammer several times. A second after I fired I realized Betty the ranger was charging me in a blind panic because she thought I had a live round :)
                John Duffer
                Independence Mess
                MOOCOWS
                WIG
                "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

I have always heard that you don't use rammers for safety reasons. Yes, I understand how it could be potentially dangerous, but it is a heck of a lot more realistic to use them. Not that I don't trust most guys at events, but it is likely that some careless guy will shoot his ramrod out of his barrel eventually if he is allowed to use it. For authenticity reasons, I think that rammers should be used. For safety reasons, they shouldn't.
                  Sincerely,
                  William H. Chapman
                  Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

After the Rich Mtn. ramming discussion last year I loaded my Enfield and fired my ramrod at a sheet of plywood with a medal oil drum behind it. The distances was about 30 yards. The ramrod went through the plywood and the metal drum. Needless to say it would have went through a body. I have personally witnessed two ramrod tips becoming separated from the rod and getting stuck in the barrel. When fired it was like firing a ball. Accidents do and will happen. Personally, I will not draw my rammer if there's people in front of me.

Regards,
                    Claude Sinclair
                    Claude Sinclair
                    Palmetto Battalion

Comment

At the LBL event I attended a few years back, we used rammers with no issues. That was about a tired group of guys I ever saw. Just the realism of using rammers was a real high point for me. I hope work lets me attend on of those kind of events in the future. (and I can get to use my rammer) :wink_smil
                      Frank Perkin

Comment

As previously posted... if you're not comfortable with using your rammers... Don't.

If you are fearful of others using rammers... then don't come to the event.

We'll miss having you in the ranks, and you are likely to miss a great event... however... far be it form anyone else to force any other person to be there, if they really don't like the practice of rammers being used.
                        Brian Hicks
                        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Mr Hicks, how very like you to cut through all the rhetorical BS and state a clear and practical solution to this issue. Thank you for stating it so well.
                          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Troy-
                            Come now, sir... "rhetorical BS" is our specialty here... at least, it seems to be for most... LOL :p

To some hobbyists, using rammers at quality events are like using garlic at vampires. Scary... Back... back...

So be it... if they don't like it, they don't have to come.

At what point do we kill this thread, I wonder?

-Johnny Lloyd

PS- Had a great time at Outpost on guard... can't wait for W64. Just cover me next time I make a coffee transaction... HA!
                            Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM. Reason: Didjeetyet? Sho-nuff...
                            Johnny Lloyd
                            John "Johnny" Lloyd
                            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                            SCAR
                            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                              At what point do we kill this thread, I wonder?

-Johnny Lloyd
                              I'd say the rammer was shot at a dead horse already, but someone always comes up and kicks the dead horse...

We might be able to bury the dead horse, the problem is we can't find a detail willing to volunteer for the job.
                              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I've a shovel in my truck. I'll go get it.
                                Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
                                Mobile, AL

21st Alabama Infantry Reg. Co. D
                                Mobile Battle Guards

Comment

Working...
                                X