Best hobby magazines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best hobby magazines...

Was just curious as to what other folks opinions are on what they consider to be the best in Civil War/hobby-related magazines?

Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Re: Best hobby magazines...

Well the only ones we really have are Civil War Historian, Camp Chase Gazette which is also now Watchdog and a European magazine called Skirmish.

I take CWH and I've been awfully pleased with it. I don't take CCG and haven't for 5+ years so cantr really speak the CCG other than to say, I'll probably look it over in the spring to see if WD is going to make that magazine worth reading again..

Skirmish is another hobby-related magazine - I've never picked one up, the only contact I've had with them didn't go very well at all. They represent several different time periods and didn't care for me asking about their commitment to authenticity.
    Last edited by paulcalloway; 11-21-2007, 07:49 AM.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Being involved in writing and editing two of those three magazines, and ocassionally publishing material in the third, let me chime in here if I may. Civil War Historian is a relative newcomer and it is usually very good. I have been a subscriber since the first issue was published and it is consistently well produced and worth reading. The artwork is almost all full color. It is published every other month (6 per year).

The Watchdog was a non-profit quarterly publication with no advertising for fifteen years but as Paul correctly points out, is now published monthly as a section inside of the Camp Chase Gazette. Camp Chase is a broader based magazine, and attempts to appeal to all participants in the hobby. The Watchdog section in the CCG will provide articles on the material culture of the 1860s, as well as ocassional product reviews. We also plan to devote some content to covering the events promoted by this Forum. For example, two articles on OP III (one from a US perspective, one CS) are planned for the next issue.

The Citizens Companion is another magazine, and concentrates on the civilian side of the hobby.
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 11-21-2007, 04:46 AM.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I used to get them all, but now only get two (Civil War Historian, and Blue and Gray). Blue & Gray has great maps and "The General's Tour" with information on touring the modern battlefield.
        thanks,
        Dirk Behana
        6th Louisiana
        Dirk Behana
        26th North Carolina
        Shocker Mess, Hedgesville Blues
        C.W.T.
        Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site
        King Solomon's Lodge #346 F.&A.M.
        Pioneer Lodge of Ohio (Reenactor Masonic Lodge)

Comment

At present in the US there is only one CW hobby magazine worth subscribing to and that is the Civil War Historian. Excellent articles and layout, very professionally done magazine.

The Camp Chase Gazette is strictly a mainstream magazine at best and I have not recommended it to anyone since Nicky Hughes ceased being its editor some years ago. In recent years the CCG has been plagued with charges of plagiarism topped with poor articles. I find it a sad situation with the CCG, I had been a subscriber since it was four sheets stapled together.

Blue and Gray is an excellent magazine but is history oriented rather than toward the hobby. Civil War Times Illustrated is another in that catagory that is an excellent publication with a long history.
          Last edited by JimKindred; 11-21-2007, 08:28 AM.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

Wasn't there a magazine called "Living Historian" a while back?

I used to read that back in the good old days (when I could march, drill, and take hits) ten years ago. I liked that but I couldn't find it any more once I returned to the hobby.

I would like to find is a magazine that combined some of Civil War Historian with some general living history primers such as how to better your first person impression, how to correctly build camp furniture for garrison-type events, how to do research or who to contact to do it for you if you cannot travel, things like that.

Maybe some online sub-sections could be created for those types of articles by Civil War Historian. It would certainly bring me to a web site where I could learn things, and if it were ad based for revenue, I would be pleased to give them some of my business. I think that there would be interest in articles that covered the "back story" of how things got that way, were made, processes to learn, etc.

Frank Long

Comment

There was a magazine call Living History if I remember the name correctly that was aimed at all historical periods back in the late 80's. It was all color very well put together magazine, unfortunately it was a bit ahead of its time and did not survive. I still have examples of all the issues in a box around here somewhere.
              Jim Kindred

Comment

Well, most of those topics are well-addressed (and in an always-updated, timely manner) right here on the AC forum... so detailed use of the search engine will give you a spot to start with them all. :)
                Regards,
                Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I'm not sure if the use of the term "hobby" includes the study and collecting of relics and artifacts or if it's use points strictly towards reenacting but I am of the opinion that one of the best, if not the best magazine covering the Civil War is with out a doubt North South Trader's Civil War.

http://www.nstcivilwar.com/
                  Regards,
                  [FONT=Arial][COLOR=Black]Greg Sites[/COLOR][/FONT]
                  Co. H 33rd Va Inf
                  Stonewall Brigade

"Whenever you see anything blue, shoot at it and do all you can to keep up the scare."
                  Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Mr.Calloway noted an unfortunate previous experience with "Skirmish" magazine. I would like to add the following. The magazine is a commercial venture focused on all historical periods and therefore has a wide spectrum of interest to illustrate. However I should advise you that the Editor, Rachel Evans, is currently studying for an MA in Military History and, in a civilian capacity, frequently joins our events in the UK. As such, her impression and knowledge are both outstanding. As importantly, her partner is Jon Eggleston who sits on the magazine's Advisory Board and was a founder of the Lazy Jack Mess. I know of no one, repeat, no one on either side of the Atlantic, who is more commited to the cause of authenticity and demonstrates this in the field better than Jon. Our US colleagues in CHAPS and the 15th Texas Ground Hornets can testify to this.
                    Such is Jon's and Rachel's commitment to "The War" that they are contemplating the purchase of an historic house in Gettysburg. As far as Skirmish is concerned, I know that they are seeking to raise the bar in all aspects of military and civilian re-enacting, BUT, if a magazine devoted to "The War" is what you seek, Skirmish is not for you.
                    Kind regards to all.
                    Patrick Reardon, The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

Originally posted by 6thLouisiana View Post
                      I used to get them all, but now only get two (Civil War Historian, and Blue and Gray). Blue & Gray has great maps and "The General's Tour" with information on touring the modern battlefield.
                      thanks,
                      Dirk Behana
                      6th Louisiana
                      As far as CW goes these are the only two I subscribe to anymore. CW Historian is wonderful newcomer and has good articles for civilian and military alike. BG is great for the history buff in me (18th and 19th Century mainly.) Their tour maps are very good for battlefiled tours. I also subscribe to the Artilleryman which is for all periods of muzzleloading artillery and usually has a CW article or two. This is a quarterly magazine and produced by the same people who do Civil War New
                      Marc Riddell
                      1st Minnesota Co D
                      2nd USSS Company C
                      Potomac Legion

Comment

Originally posted by Tarheel View Post
                        I know of no one, repeat, no one on either side of the Atlantic, who is more commited to the cause of authenticity and demonstrates this in the field better than Jon. Our US colleagues in CHAPS and the 15th Texas Ground Hornets can testify to this.
                        If that were the case, I'd think Jon would have replied to my emails - seeing as he's the fellow who apparently told Skirmish to contact me. All in all, it was a waste of my time, but i'll get over it.

BUT, if a magazine devoted to "The War" is what you seek, Skirmish is not for you.
                        I'm not certain that it is absolutely necessary that a magazine be devoted to one time period - Company of Military Historians certainly isn't but still a favorite for many of us.

Really the key is understanding what the commitment level of a particular publisher is to authenticity - since thats the virtue that we hold paramount here on the AC, it's a matter of verifying that we are all cut of the same cloth. I don't want to send our users to a farb magazine where they are going to see medieval reenactors clashing with PVC-broadswords.
                        Paul Calloway
                        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                        Proud Member of the GHTI
                        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Got to be 'Civil War Historian" and "the Watchdog" for me. The "Blue and Gray" magazine is good too.
                          Regards,
                          Scott Dallimore
                          14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
                          Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
                          -------------------------------------

Comment

Is America's Civil War any good?

Comment

For CW history, if not "the hobby":

North & South is very good, has an academic emphasis without getting too longwinded.

Civil War History, published quarterly by Kent State, is an academic journal. Mostly socio-political analysis, not battles and tactics.

Journal of Southern History has a lot of CW related material, also academic in nature.

America's Civil War and the other glossy mag with the similar title have good pictures, but that's about it. Good intro mags for newcomers. They were better publications in the past, used to publish lots of first-hand accounts.

I can't praise Blue & Gray enough. Their walking tours are amazing resources for battlefield trampers. Very friendly staff, too.
                              John Christiansen
                              SGLHA
                              PLHA

Comment

Working...
                              X