Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tampions

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
    I imagine you are referring to a "marital aid" of the latex variety - because those would definitely work.

I didn't realize the "French Envelopes" we available to the Doughboys in WWI.
    ReReading Cris' thread, I don't think he was saying that they used them in WWI.....just a grizzled old vet/Sarge told them to use them during WWII....the old vet being of WWI vintage.
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

I definately, with regular use, never had my tompion fit loose, excepting when my musket is cleaned. And then only if I use the wooden version. I have two of the Enfield cork type. One is a reproduction that unfortunately got stuck in the end of the barrel because of only one battle's worth of powder residue build up. My other Enfield cork type is an unused original period example. It seems to me after the cork gets wet that it swells so much it does not fit and I would surmise that is why a lot of period ones were possibly tossed. For that reason alone I switched to the Springfield type.

I originally posed the question of what the "typical" soldier might have done with his tompion. I don't put mine in my haversack as I have enough in there now. If it is fair weather I don't even take it into drill or battle. If the weather dictates it, the pocket is fine.

I have seen others use it "string to sling", but just did not know if that was somewhat unusual. However, I am sure then, as now, soldiers just did not always follow the rules.

Thanks for the insight and I have also learned the politically correct spelling of the word.

James T. Lemon
      50th VA Corporal

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
        I imagine you are referring to a "marital aid" of the latex variety - because those would definitely work.

I didn't realize the "French Envelopes" we available to the Doughboys in WWI.
        Condoms or a similar prophylactic device have been around for a long, long time. While the latex variety post-date both the Civil and the Great War, at least during World War Once and WW Twice, the Medical Corps operated "prophylactic stations" for the well-being of those doughboys and GIs who spent their time consorting with women of ill repute. Despite those efforts, military commanders all the way down to modern times have spent a great deal of time dealing with the VD rate among the troops, and this figure was an item of discussion at most command and staff meetings at least through the late (19) 70s.

And me, I keep my "gun stopper" in the muzzle or in the pants pocket, wiper in the implement pouch of the cartridge box, and my pants buttoned ;-)
        Tom Ezell

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ezell View Post
          Condoms or a similar prophylactic device have been around for a long, long time. While the latex variety post-date both the Civil and the Great War,
          I'm pretty sure latex (natural India rubber) condoms were around during the Civil War, though of course not resembling modern ones in appearance.

Best I can come up with right now is a listing, beside the non-specified condoms, in a catalogue found in the effects of Pvt. Edmon Shriver, Co. F, 42nd Ohio

The French Capotines, India rubber to go over the head of the penis, only; they are mostly used by married people as a preventative of offspring. Single, 35 cts.; per doz. $3.
          And a secondary source, Conception and Abortion in 19th Century America by Janet Farrell Brodie, available for partial viewing on google books:

In his "Notes by the Publisher," as noted earlier, Gilbert Vale reported enthusiastically in 1858 on "a new article, called The French Safe, made of India rubber and gutta percha... It is more durable and less expensive [than other condoms]." The quality of the earliest rubber condoms, even those made from vulcanized rubber, was unpredictable. Rubber was weak in spots and broke easily; some condoms offered no real protection because they were so poorly made that they had visible holes. Also, they were thicker than skin condoms and dulled a man's sensation of sexual pleasure. James Ashton, in 1861, noted that "penis coverings" available included those "beautifully made from preparations of india-rubber." He praised them as effective but admitted that because they lessened a man's sexual pleasure they were not very popular. The only advantage of the early rubber condoms was their price: rubber capotes cost one-half what the finest goldbeaters' skins cost.
          In the catalog above, the rubber ones were, as noted $3 per dozen; others of unspecified material were $3, $4, $5 or $6 per dozen.

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@voyager.net
          Hank Trent

Comment

Gentlemen,

Are we getting a bit off the specific subject matter I had the inquiry on? Not wanting to be a prude of sorts, but I think the original subject matter is more deserving of directly oriented subject responses.

I certainly would rather read responses of what y'all do with your tompions in the event that what was actually done with them is lost to historical subjectivity. I would surely bet my this month's sutlers allowance that if a stocked original haversack was to be found it would more likely contain a tampion than a condom...

With all due respect,

James T. Lemon
            50th VA Corporal

Comment

Wouldn't the stocked haversack be full of particles of rotten food rather than either of the aforementioned items?

"Haversack stuffers" are not to be kept in the haversack. They are best kept in the trash can.
              Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
              Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Well, speaking of condoms....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Civil-War-Era-Pr...QQcmdZViewItem
                Bill Lomas

[B][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]E. J. Thomas Mercantile[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
                [FONT="Century Gothic"]P.O. Box 332
                Hatboro, PA 19040
                [URL="http://www.ejtmercantile.com"]www.ejtmercantile.com[/URL]
                [email]info@ejtmercantile.com[/email][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
                  I'm pretty sure latex (natural India rubber) condoms were around during the Civil War, though of course not resembling modern ones in appearance.

Best I can come up with right now is a listing, beside the non-specified condoms, in a catalogue found in the effects of Pvt. Edmon Shriver, Co. F, 42nd Ohio

And a secondary source, Conception and Abortion in 19th Century America by Janet Farrell Brodie, available for partial viewing on google books:

In the catalog above, the rubber ones were, as noted $3 per dozen; others of unspecified material were $3, $4, $5 or $6 per dozen.

Hank Trent
                  hanktrent@voyager.net

Some may find this of interest.~Gary

Gary Dombrowski
                  [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Tompion's are one of those items that are wonderful for their actual use - to keep water, etc out of the muzzle. I keep mine there, except when the weapon is in use, obviously.

A safety warning - because we often load long before we fire (guard, etc) you must remember to remove the thing prior to firing. Most folks pay close attention to this and of course the NCO's and officer should as well, but accidents do happen. Recall the Monmouth event in the 90's where the federal drummer was hit with a tompion fired from across the way. Fortunately, it hit his drum before hitting him in the hip (no permanent damage to the boy). I have seen a couple of other incidents where the tompion was removed at the last minute by warning from another reenactor.

As for the other subject here, I have always thought it amusing that condoms were called F.L.'s or French Letters or French Envelopes by the English, Americans and the Germans... The French military often called them "English Hoods" - source was a French Army Major i got to know in the early 90's. He said a real Frenchman would never invent such a thing...but was proud that the French were known for abundant usage :D
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by 50th VA Corporal View Post
                      Would my assumption be correct that re-enactors using a piece of string or leather attaching it to their musket sling swivel and placing it into their sling loop considerd "farby"?
                      Not necessarily. Consider the fact that by regulation, Soldiers were liable to be docked for the cost of lost equipment, then a "dummy cord" (borrowing a modern term) might be an obvious solution to the problem. Nevertheless I cannot recall seeing any dummy cords in use in the many, many period images I have seen over the years.
                      [B]Bob Firth
                      [I]Awkward Squad Mess[/I][/B]

[COLOR="Blue"][U]CR COI: Apr 2010
                      Spangler's Spring LH: 12-13-June 2010
                      Return to Manassas: 27-19 Aug 2010
                      Unison, VA: Oct 2010
                      [/U][/COLOR]

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

While interesting and amusing, please try to keep the thread "Civil War."

We had used "rubbers" as muzzle covers in Viet Nam, which is interesting and amusing, but not really of great value or import to the "Authentic Civil War Living Historian."

Curt
                        Curmudgeon Mess
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Here is one I dug here in Dover a few years ago.

John Walsh
                          Attached Files
                          John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

Working...
                          X