Where to find a Surgeon's kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find a Surgeon's kit

Mod; Not sure if this goes here or not,move it if it need to be placed in another area of this forum

Not that I am in the market,that is why I didn't post in the WTB section. I have seen a CW Surgeon's kit for sale online at a sutler,or I thought a sutler. I am changing my impression during this next year,so I need to find out what he had in his kit. I know that some instruments varied from surgeon to surgeon,however I need to see what he had,in order to see which ones I can use for my impression,since most,not all, embalmers were Dr's first before they chose this new science of preservation,and profession.
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Re: Where to find a Surgeon's kit

Sir,
    My dear friend, Ed Archer, makes kits and has the descriptions of his kits on his website. http://civilwarmedbooks.com/medical.idc I am sure if you had futher questions he would be glad to help you. He has a extensive knowledge in the area.

Regards
    Greg S Barnett
    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Thank you Greg. I will look at his site. I know I will have questions

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

Comment

As stated above Ed Archer makes the best kits. I would also check out this website to learn about the fakes and what period instruments were. It takes good research to find a good buy on orginal instruments, but it can be done. The information on this site will give you a good working knowledge of what was available.... http://www.medicalantiques.com/
        Marc Riddell
        1st Minnesota Co D
        2nd USSS Company C
        Potomac Legion

Comment

You may also want to check out this page. He has many photos of original kits.
          Michael L. Martin, NWCWC, US Medical Dept.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for the websites. I have an idea of what I need,but will be doing research into which ones will work. If not careful some instruments were used in the 1870's. I appreciate all the sites that have been posted.
            Again Thank You Guys

Comment

I saw an authentic one for sale about a month ago on eBay.
              keep your eyes open there....from time to time you can at least get pieces.
              maw bear
              kimberly webber young
              [I][COLOR="Green"]Be content and resigned to God's Will. Gen. Stonewall Jackson[/COLOR][/I]

[url]www.mawbear.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
              X