Interesting Bayonet Scabbard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Bayonet Scabbard

Hey everybody. Hope you're having a Happy Thanksgiving.

Yesterday I was asked by a local shop owner to do a little research on an item he recently found in a building he is renovating.

While doing some work on an old bank/IOOF lodge, the owner found what appears to be a bayonet scabbard for a saber bayonet. The leather is in terrible shape (dry rot and cracked from being folded in a couple of places) but it appears to be intact. There are no distinguishing marks on the brass other than the fact that the edges of the brass are more "artistic" than any saber bayonet that I have ever seen. The edges are (for lack of a better discription) scalloped.

I do not have any resources (books) that have yielded any results. So far my trompings through the World Wide Web have been unsuccessful as well; I've only come across photos of scabbards that are not "scalloped". I do not have any pictures at this time; I'm "over the river and through the woods" at Grandmother's house for Turkey Day dinner and am unable to post pictures.

If any of you have some links to websites or some book titles that you could recommend, I'd greatly appreciate it.:D
    Matthew Easley

Re: Interesting Bayonet Scabbard

You will have to post photos and measurements. Black leather with brass trim could be a number of different things.
    Thomas Pare Hern
    Co. A, 4th Virginia
    Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Hallo!

And from a number of different countries and eras...

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Pictures and measurements

The overall length of the scabbard is approx. 21 inches long. I measured the width at the top of the scabbard (where the bayonet enters) and it measured at 1 1/2 inches.

I took the following pictures today with a new camera (doorbuster special at Wal-Mart!:D) so I hope they work.
        Attached Files
        Matthew Easley

Comment

Hallo!

Would/could you put up an image of the whole scabbard?

Thanks,

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

Here's another view. I tried to do this earlier but it seems that my earlier photo would not upload. Oh the wonders of modern technology!
            Attached Files
            Matthew Easley

Comment

Bump

A point of clarification . . .

I'm not looking for anyone to do the research for me. I'm just looking to see if there were any book titles that y'all might recommend.
              Matthew Easley

Comment

As of now, there is not a good book on bayonet scabbards from the CW era that I am aware of. Robert Rielly's "American Socket Bayonet's & Scabbards" is the best currently available on that era, but is strictly about socket bayonets & their scabbards. He also does little to address imported bayonets & scabbards. The book is the seminal work on the subject, but there is some dated information and of course over the years, new information has surfaced.

Paul Johnson (author of the book on US cartridge boxes) is finishing the final version of his book that ought to be out next year on bayonet scabbards from roughly 1851-1865. It will cover both sockets and sabers, as well as imported items. The information will be excellent, the photos will be as well, and it will become a must have book for marital material culture students of our era. Until that time, you will have to cobble together information from where you can.
                [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
                [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
                [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
                Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
                Member The Company of Military Historians
                Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
                Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
                [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Thank you very much, Mr. Prince. That's what I was afraid of.
                  Matthew Easley

Comment

Working...
                  X