An Illusion So Real: American Civil War Reenactors Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Illusion So Real: American Civil War Reenactors Book

I don't know if this is already been on a forum, but Photographer Mark Elson is making a book on Reenactors in the US and across the Pond. He talks about Mainstreamers and Serious Reenactors. Click on the link and you can see a short introduction video on the upcoming publication, you will need Quicktime to view:

Re: An Illusion So Real: American Civil War Reenactors Book

Looks like its really well put together. Could be something worth while to the hobby.
    Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
    James A. Peifer
    Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

Is the producer of the website a fellow hobbyist?

"Illusion"... ? Being at Outpost last month and every event I've done for 10 years were pretty real for me... LOL ;)

Gawd, I love this hobby! -Johnny :D
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
        Is the producer of the website a fellow hobbyist?
        If memory serves me correctly, he is not. Its been several years though since we met.

Familar eyes will recognize the woods and hills of the Raymond, Mississippi, battlefield in some of these shots, as well as the hands of Wendall Decker in a still image of a period camera. At least one image on that website was taken minutes before a cover image of the AC forum.

Normally, I'm not much on spending time with photographers--this feller did seem to have a better eye than some. We were hidden down below a bluff, while there was a large tented area above us, with all sorts of happenings occuring. The gentleman happened to see Mr. Morgan transporting a bedstead on a wheeled cart, followed him below the bluff, and spent the better part of the day poking through our belongings and talking shop with Wendall.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Saw a bunch of people who looked good and a bunch of people not-so-good. But I suppose that's the way it usually is with these things. There's always gonna be a little bad with the good.

Thanks for pointing it out!
          Anna Allen
          <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
          [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Looks pretty interesting. I hope it's positive...
            Regards,
            Scott Dallimore
            14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
            Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
            -------------------------------------

Comment

I don't believe he's a reenactor. I meet Mark at Perryville 2004 he's from California, he pulled me out of a Sutler Tent and took my image about dozen times, told me about his book project slated for late 2007, handed me his business card. I believe his occupation is professional photographer, he emailed me this Summer and invited people to Gettysburg to photograph tintypes and ferrotypes at Lee's Headquarters. So there will be mixture of modern and period type photos in the publication, I hope it gives a boost in interest to our hobby.

Comment

:) That sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out when it is done. Thanks for posting about it.
                Sincerely,
                William H. Chapman
                Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

I met Mark at September Storm and chatting with him a few times throughout the weekend. He asked if I would be available to make a trip to Gettysburg to do a shoot in front of the Leister House. So, James Thompson, Dave Ahrens, Andrew Gutkowski and I, met up in Gburg and spent a few hours with Mark.

He was a pleasure to work with and was showing a genuine interest in making this book spectacular. Hope it is!!

Pards,
                  Guy W. Gane III
                  Casting Director/Owner
                  Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
                  49th NYVI Co. B
                  The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

That haunting, modal, 20th century-style banjo soundtrack really sets the mood.

It's a shame that no producer of these films ever gives the original banjo sound a chance- it has an artistic merit all its own.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Well it is a far cry from the History Channels special in reenactors. Remember that one. I think it will be positive. I think even sometimes I need to understand why I do this. It is all about remembrance and sacrifice and honor to me.
                      Thomas J. Alleman
                      "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Hi, everyone, thanks for the kind words about the trailer for the documentary, "An Illusion So Real." Thanks also to the reenaactors I worked with--I've enjoyed meeting everyone and was glad to leave the 21st century behind for a little while.

I'm still working on the film, looking for funding, and will be updating my website soon, which will include more wet plate collodion images.

I wish everyone a very Happy New Year.

Mark Elson

Comment

Working...
                        X