Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Third Corps Union

Ladies and Gents,

I'm seeking information on the Third Corps Union, That being the union that the officers of the third corps formed to prevent the disolving of the 3rd corps. I am interested in any other standpoints they had, any other points that they were influential, as well as their workings (i.e. their internal structure and such). Any information would be greatly appreciated

Respectfully,
    Ryan McIntyre
    124th New York State Volunteers
    Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
    Joseph H. Johnston
    March 16th 1863
    Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
    Henry M Howell
    March 8 1863
    In camp Near Falmouth

Re: The Third Corps Union

Ryan,

You might try getting your hands on a copy of Frederick B. Arner's The Mutiny at Brandy Station: The Last Battle of the Hooker Brigade (Kensington, Md.: Bates and Blood Press, 1993). The book deals with the controversy that surrounded the reorganization of the 3rd Corps, focusing on the protest by a few junior officers in the 11th Massachusetts.

I read it some years ago and found it to be rather interesting.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Ryan,

There is also mention of it in "Red Diamond Regiment: The 17th Maine Infantry, 1862-1865" by William B. Jordan, Jr. ISBN 0-942597-72-9.

In it he talks about it's forming and what it did, and who from the 17th ME were charter members.

Good luck. Please share your research with us when it's done.

Best regards,

Will
      Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
      Saginaw City Light Infantry
      Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
      Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
      http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
      www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

There certainly seems to be a good amount of information about it online:

Comment

Working...
        X