Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

I thought "The Blue and the Gray" was excellent, myself. It was originally a TV mini-series from 1982, now available in a 2-disk DVD set. Don't know how good it is from an authenticity standpoint (lack of experience on my part), but it was a great story!
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Normally I let old threads lie, but in this case I saw something I could not resist sharing. I was previewing a boxed set of Civil War battle dvds this week when something that caught my eye that just floored me. The reenactment footage used in the film is late 70s, early 80s, with lots of mullets, kepis, gaiters, and havelocks, but what astounded me was the background to the title screen. In it a determined Yank reenactor charges the CS line with a freshly lit Marlboro clenched between his teeth. It's great! The guy is trying to bayonet Confederates and look fierce, all the while never relinquishing his cigarette. You can tell that he must have just lit it before called to do the scene, and like many smokers, he was not going to give up his smoke unless they removed it from his cold dead hands. ;)
      [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Comment

Ride with the Devil. Any film where Jewel breast feeds is an instant classic!
          [SIZE=2][/SIZE][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT]Stephen Lewis
          A Homeless Mess
          [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, "I think I've lost an electron." The other says "Are you sure?" The first says, "Yes, I'm positive." [/SIZE] :D [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

My nomination for best Civil War film of all time is definitely Ride with the Devil (with Glory as runner-up). I read the book it was based on, and from which the superb dialogue was lifted in parts word for word, before ever seeing the film (the book is Woe to Live On by Daniel Woodrell). Amazingly the film did justice to the book. As a southern 'Dutchman' on my mother's side I got to love a film where the hero is a Missouri German!
            KC MacDonald
            Founding Member Lazy Jacks Mess
            Proud Galveston BOI (Born on Island)
            Gr-Gr Grandson of 5 Confederates (and one Yankee...)

[SIZE="1"]Currently residing in an ex-Tailoring Sweatshop built in Huntingdon, England in 1851[/SIZE]

Comment

How about Pharoah's Army? Not a very well known flick, but pretty decent all the same.
              Resp'y, I remain,
              Your Obed. Serv't,
              Chris Stevans
              Capt, 3d Virginia Inf'y

Comment

Glory and Ride with the devil. Purely for the passion and anger they evoked in me. Even my wife was moved by Glory and she likes gone with the wind!!
                I'll add another!!!

The Good the bad and the ugly??

Only joking!!
                [B][I]Christian Sprakes
                19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

The Rose & The Jackel.

Not a good movie, and even had a real anachronism which I caught after a couple of viewings (I had some friends in it, otherwise I wouldn't watch it more than once.)

In the first five minuntes in the crowd scene they have a shot which includes some sort of 20th Century delivery man or heating/cooling repairman.

I've attached a still of said scene. When you see the video you can observe the guy looking around like "cool, what's going on here?"

Greg Starbuck
                  Attached Files
                  The brave respect the brave. The brave
                  Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
                  That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
                  And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

I haven't seen any over the past four years or so, but I'm going to reach waaaay back and say my two favorite C.W. films are:
                    1.) The General (silent) w/ Buster Keaton, just for the periood railroad equipment (except for the flatcar mountes mortar) and the civillian dress

2.) The Red Badge of Courage w/ Audie Murphy and Bill Mauldin. Yeah I know, the material culture is bad, but the attitudes and actions of the characters make up for it in spades! Lots of cameos by good old standard Western character actors.
                    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Though there are a few inaccuracies in it, Ride with the Devil is one of my favorite Civil War movies ever. Even if Toby McGuire sucked in it.
                      Last edited by Elliott'sSprout; 03-18-2012, 06:25 PM.
                      Dan Stilley
                      Tater Mess/ Holmes Brigade
                      [COLOR="#0000FF"]Proud descendant of Elijah and Nathan Mosher- 3rd Iowa Volunteer Infantry
                      Henry Hollenbeck- 11th Kansas Cavalry Co. B
                      Greenberry Kelly- 2nd Iowa Infantry
                      John Riley Stilley- 128th Illinois Infantry
                      Thomas Freeborn-72nd Illinois Infantry Co. I[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FF0000"]Killed at Franklin, Tennessee[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X