Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

"Sabers of Glory" is without a doubt the funniest movie I have ever seen.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Personally, I have always been partial to the Confederate Zombie movie in which the Johnnies return from the dead to savagely kill and devour their modern-day Union counterparts...The name of this most daring and authentic movie escapes me tho'...Best regards!
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Tom,

Are you refering to "Gray Night" or the Ghost brigade" it went by both names. Its a turner flick with martin Sheen, Corbin bernson and billy bob Thorton? In the end the yankee who is sent to find the dead rebels teams up with some living confederates to defeat them with silver tipped bayonets? It's a hoot, and it appears to have been made the same time as Gettysburg and martin sheen was barrowed from that set to play Lee in blue coat....lol. If you want a good laugh its worth a rental.

but, my .02 on the subject is similar to what was mentioned earlier, so far we haven't had a perfect Civil War flick, but we've had some who were good from one angel or another, like good uniforms in "Wicked Spring", or in my opinion a history heavy (for hollywood) "Gods and Generals". I think any movie that helps generate interest in the time period we love is good, reguardless of it lack of total autheticity.

anyone watch "pharoah army" or the "Colt" neither perfect but both have thier merits.
        Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
        Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
        5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Hallo!

It's definitely not "The Curse of the Cannibal Confederates (Curse of the Confederate Dead)."
          ;)

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Since everyone enjoyed Ride with the Devil, what are the thoughts on Gangs of New York? Better actors in Gangs of New York....
            Mitchell L Critel
            Wide Awake Groupie
            Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Originally posted by fahtz View Post
              Since everyone enjoyed Ride with the Devil, what are the thoughts on Gangs of New York? Better actors in Gangs of New York....
              Hard to watch with Daniel Day-Lewis, impossible to watch without him. Not even funny bad. The only thing that could make this movie enjoyable is if you entered into it with absolutely no knowledge of US History, history in general, Catholicism, speech patterns, etc., etc. That's not even getting to, ahem, 'Leo'.
              Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Oh, yeah no one has mentioned Andersonville. I know its no perfect but I think its brings to life some of the realities of what happened there, I know I have enjoyed watching it.
                Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
                Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
                5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                  Personally, I have always been partial to the Confederate Zombie movie in which the Johnnies return from the dead to savagely kill and devour their modern-day Union counterparts...The name of this most daring and authentic movie escapes me tho'...Best regards!
                  I agree. You can't go wrong with antebellum zombies. That's why I'm such a fan of 2001 Maniacs. You can't understand the military side of a conflict with out understanding the civilian side as well. Freddy Kreuger waving battleflags and hosting "BAAHH B Q's". Fun stuff.

Scott Bumpus

Comment

I am surprised that more of the Ted Turner Movies haven't been talked about.
                    Besides Gods and Generals and Gettysburg, he made four other Civil War movies in the 90s:
                    -Andersonville
                    -The Day Lincoln Was Shot
                    -The Hunley
                    -Ironclads

Any opinions on those? I wish they would put Hunley on DVD so I could see it again. I can only remember it briefly. Of the whole "Turner Civil War Saga" as you could call it, I think Andersonville is the most interesting, with the Hunley. Gettysburg is good, but the other two I think are made more interesting in that you don't have the "Gods of the Civil War" (the big names you read in the textbooks) in them.
                    David Fictum,
                    Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
                    recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

Hmmm, Watching "Johnny Shiloh" forever sealed my interest in the WBTS, so here's a related trivia question: Who has been in more TV and silver screen productions related to the American Civil War -- Donald Sutherland or Clint Eastwood?
                      Answer to follow ...
                      No googling 'til you guess!
                      Paul Hadley
                      Paul Hadley

Comment

Journey to Shiloh has to rank among the all time turkeys.
                        [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                        [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksburg Dave View Post
                          Journey to Shiloh has to rank among the all time turkeys.
                          Isn't that the one that has the dude playing Braxton Bragg (who looked a lot more like Ed Asner than Bragg) picking his personal scouts by watching the guy break a horse?

Scott Bumpus

Comment

Here's what I think -- Donald 4, Clint 2.

Sutherland --
                            Narrator for Red Badge of Courage, roles in Hunley, Cold Mountain and Oldest Confederate Widow Tells All.

Eastwood --
                            Major roles in The Beguiled and Outlaw Josey Wales -- with 3 spaghetti westerns having loose post-war WBTS influence on character development, so perhaps those shouldn't count.

Can you name any more?
                            Paul
                            "Film is plastic" -- scrawled on screening room wall at my undergrad school ...
                            Paul Hadley

Comment

Yes...Grey Night - that's it!!! Great entertainment value if you're looking for a good laugh!!! Thanks for providing the title for all of us wanna-be Confed Zombies...LOL
                              Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                              Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                              Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                              Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                              KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I found North & South amusing at the time, and I made some good money as an extra. Some people on the production team actually tried to get a decent look out of the thing within the constraints of Hollywood. I, um how shall I say this, "borrowed" Phil Sheridan's hat at the end of filming (they had a few of em'). Outlaw Josie Wales got me interested in the border conflict more when I was a kid, I wanted to learn about Red Legs etc.... I know its post war but I enjoyed Son of The Morning Star as well. Having worked in Hollywood at one time I can tell you how lucky you are to get ANY thing close to correct in a historical film. Funny though I used to do prop work and walked into a room full of ORIGINAL Federal mounted services jackets once, made me wonder why cav in movies always have 1880's 5 button sacks on not matter what the period being portrayed....
                                Edward Anthony Parrott
                                "Humbug"

Comment

Working...
                                X