Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

I made a recent inquiry about the film Fields of Freedom and it got me thinking...are there any truly great Civil War films that exist? And by great I mean truly great, not just, "Yeah, it was alright." In racking my brain, very few come to mind. In fact, I can't really think of more than one and the one I'm thinking of is Glory, which isn't all that terrific for numerous reasons.

Gettysburg to me doesn't really stand out; I could never really get behind that picture once it was released. I was apart of the filming process and during the shooting I had a feeling in my gut that it wasn't really going to hold up upon its release. Then there's Gods and Generals and that one I'm not even going to touch. Aside from those Hollywood backed "epics" there are a few independents out there milling around (Field of Freedom for example), but none of those really stand up to the bar either, in my opinion. I have yet to see Wicked Spring (more because I'm afraid to than for any other reason) and I fear that that one won't "wow" me either.

Other conflicts in history have their appropriate gems in cinema and I fail to see why this is so hard to achieve with the American Civil War. I mean, the Civil War was arguably the most important event (or rather, series of events) in American history, right? Other wars, for instance, like World War I has Johnny Got His Gun and All Quiet on the Western Front (both versions), World War II has The Thin Red Line, Vietnam has The Killing Fields, etc, etc. So, what's the deal?

With all that said, if someone can recall some Civil War and/or Civil War related films that are truly great, that I missed in my rantings, then please list them here and make your case. Otherwise, does anyone out there besides me think that the subject matter of our nation's greatest fight, on film, deserves some immense improvement? In the meantime, I suppose I'll just watch my nine volumes of Ken's masterpiece(s) again (but that's a documentary...though it is an untouchable documentary).

Re: Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Bryan,
    just have to say you might as well jump in and watch Wicked sleeps, i mean spring! not a great move but the actors are in authentic gear. Now if you make it through the first 45 min, stop the movie get a redbull and continue on. Just my small opinion.

Comment

Wicked Spring is awesome.
      Patrick Rooney

Comment

Has anyone seen "Sabres of Courage" or something to that effect? It's a lowbudget homemade looking job on VHS.
        [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
        [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Now if you make it through the first 45 min, stop the movie, get a Red Bull and continue on.
          Haha, well I got me some Red Bull...

Wicked Spring is awesome.
          ...now I just need the DVD.

Comment

Patrick might be right, maybe i just need to watch it again?!?

Comment

I am astounded that no one has as yet brought to your attention "Ride With The Devil,"
              directed by Ang Lee and starring Toby McGuire and Jewel. This is a superb film with
              great period costuming and decent dialogue.
              As to WWII, while it is dated, "Battleground" with John Hodiak and Van Johnson is
              to the Second World War what "Platoon" was to Viet Nam - it follows one unit, in this
              case up to Bastogne. It is worth a look.
              Your most obedient servant and comrade,
              James C. Schumann
              Mess #3
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

There have been a few decent depictions of period in films. Cold Mountain had a fairly good section of parts that deals with different periods during the civil war and it showed a decent depiction of period clothing both military and civilian. The problem of the Ted Turner films is that they glorify instead of accurately depict. While they make for decent entertainment for those that do not have a vested interest in accuracy and they have powerful, inspiring music behind the key scenes, they do leave those looking for authenticity wanting. I have always said that films like those are good for showing people a glimpse at what some of the things about the Civil War might have looked like. In Gods and Generals, they did a fair job of depicting the attacks, en echelon, up the long slope of Marye's Heights. Gettysburg gives about the best approximation of what Pickett's charge may have looked like. At least you get a sense of awe at seeing that enormous horde of humanity lining up and marching across the fields. When showing that to a History Class, the students can get a perspective for what that could have looked like. In a sense it is similar to Saving Private Ryan or The Thin Red Line. Do those films accurately depict combat? Ask someone who was there. I have, they all have said say no. But I have also heard them say that those films are as close as hollywood can get to what combat was really like. Civil War combat was much more brutal and if shown on the "silver screen" accurately, you would not be able to see anything on the battlefield. Remember, those engaged at the bloody lane at Antietam, or if you prefer Sharpsburg, were at times only thirty paces away from each other and they only rarely caught glimpses through the smoke of the men opposing them. Also, the men that murdered each other across roughly thirty feet of the Hagerstown Pike from fence to fence also could not see each other through the smoke. While I too long for authenticity in film, this is similar to the age old argument about the gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Hollywood can only do so much to reproduce those kinds of events in history. Even the participants have left us accounts of how little they could see during the fight. People do not pay to go to the movies to see a bank of whitish smoke wiht occaisional glimpses of movement and "pink stabs of light".
                Matthew S. Laird
                [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                [/COLOR]
                [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Vicksburg Dave View Post
                  Has anyone seen "Sabres of Courage" or something to that effect? It's a lowbudget homemade looking job on VHS.
                  You mean "Sabres of Shame":D, the movie the Doss brothers did about 5 years ago at the West Point reenactment. I think the real name is "Sabres of Glory", but it is terrible.
                  Last edited by WestTN_reb; 12-06-2007, 03:57 AM.
                  John Spain
                  4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                  "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Mr.Schumann is correct!!! i can't beleave i forgot about the movie( ride with the devil).
                    it is a great movie!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BenjaminLDavis View Post
                      As to WWII, while it is dated, "Battleground" with John Hodiak and Van Johnson is to the Second World War what "Platoon" was to Viet Nam - it follows one unit, in this case up to Bastogne. It is worth a look.
                      This is my favorite WW2 flick. BIG TIME!!!

As to Civil War flicks... The pickins are mighty slim! Gettysburg is probably a first rate made-for-TV movie, but not as a cinematic release. So, I'll probably have to go with "Ride with the Devil" based solely on Jewel (hubba, hubba). ;)
                      Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 12-06-2007, 05:27 AM.
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by BenjaminLDavis View Post
                        I am astounded that no one has as yet brought to your attention "Ride With The Devil,"
                        directed by Ang Lee and starring Toby McGuire and Jewel. This is a superb film with great period costuming and decent dialogue.
                        I've always liked Ride With the Devil. Gives a different view of how people fought the war.
                        Jeff L. Underwood
                        Company C Chesapeake Volunteer Guard

Comment

I have another question. Does anyone have ideas on good era movies?
                          I am thinking more of the civilian side not blood and guts.
                          Any titles??
                          [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT]
                          Charlene Staples
                          Delavan, WI

Citizens of The Old NorthWest
                          Boonesfield Village
                          Lost Tribes
                          Bummers

Comment

I know Wendell Decker has constantly talked about doing a film about a period photographer.As he said:
                            "Think of it.You can have the photographer take pictures in the early war of everyone in their full uniforms.Cut to the next seen,and he's taking pictures of them dead.You're working with explosives,so you have a plot right there.And you can do a real time photo scene.There's lots you can do with a photographer's story."
                            Cullen
                            Cullen Smith
                            South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Although the accuracy is lacking, as far as a perception of opinion in the past, "Birth of a Nation" makes a very interesting watch. It was filmed somewhere around the WWI era, maybe even delayed by it. It is very polically incorrect by todays' standards. I don't know much about the movie really, thought it was very interesting tho. Maybe someone has more info on it.
                              Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Working...
                              X