Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Hallo!

"Cromwell" with Richard Harris as Oliver Cromwell and Alec Guinness as King Charles I.

Ohhhhhhhhhh. American Civil War.
    Sorry, no. ;) :)

Take "History" to the movies, and Hollyweird will usually always disappoint (it's about entertaining to create profits not educating). IMHO.

Curt
    Movies are like food... folks have different likes and dislikes Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

All I know is when I was in Jr. High I had the biggest crush on the woman that played Madeline in North and South. Cant really remember much of the movie though just her madelines
      Cheers
      Terry Sorchy

Comment

The only thing negative about Cold Mountain is the COMPLETELY OBVIOUS rubber guns.
        Haha, well, bare in mind they were hucking them down into a crater full of actors.

Comment

Friend, if you're one of the seemingly few people who liked this [The Thin Red Line] (like me), I think you'll enjoy Ride With the Devil.
          I'm gonna give Ride With the Devil a go based on our shared appreciation for The Thin Red Line (the Malick remake is what I hope you had in mind).

Comment

Originally posted by SalemCadet View Post
            I'm gonna give Ride With the Devil a go based on our shared appreciation for The Thin Red Line (the Malick remake is what I hope you had in mind).
            Sweet! I'd love to hear what you have to say (and yes, I meant Malick).
            Last edited by mtvernon; 12-06-2007, 07:14 PM. Reason: additional text
            Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

I sure will, Joe. You'll be the first to know. Oh, in the meantime, I recommend you check out The New World if you haven't already. It's a Malick film about initial relations between the native Indians and early settlers arriving in Jamestown. It's a mind blowing flick. There is a scene at the end of the film with one of the native American characters walking through the gardens of a palace near London...it will visually stay with you forever.

Comment

I've been trying to get hold of a copy of "Red Badge of Courage" to watch. I recall it from many years back and it had Richard Thomas (aka John Boy from the The Waltons) as the lead and might have been a Hallmark Hall of Fame TV movie. Anyone seen this one?
                Jeff Lawson
                2nd Vermont, Co. E

Comment

HAHA I just watched Red Badge Of Courage on OnDemand. That movie was a joke!
                  Patrick Rooney

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Sorchy View Post
                    All I know is when I was in Jr. High I had the biggest crush on the woman that played Madeline in North and South. Cant really remember much of the movie though just her madelines
                    Cheers
                    Terry Sorchy
                    I don't know about you, but I still have a crush on her. Hubba, hubba!:wink_smil
                    John Spain
                    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

I don't know - if you're looking for movies with the best, meaning most authentic, costumes and props, or best, meaning most accurate, history, you might be looking for the wrong thing. Shakespeare wrote histories, you know: filled with minor errors and shadings of the truth: do you think he was going to portray the man Elizabeth's grandpa took the crown from as anything less than a hideous monster? Yet which one of us will shy rocks at "Richard III?" Theater makes you feel, and inspires to something deeply human. Autie Murphy in "The Red Badge of Courage" has some great moments, even though fraught with inaccuracies (Richard Thomas played Henry with great feeling as well.) When I was 9 years old, seeing "Johnney Shiloh" on "The Wonderful World of Disney" was a magic moment. I think if you're looking at film from an equipment maven standpoint, I'd recommend stepping back from theater a bit, and maybe look in the direction of documentaries or the NPS films at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, which are well-costumed and shot, although a bit short on emotional appeal.
                      Rob Weaver
                      Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by mtvernon View Post
                        I'm stating this because it has started creeping into common usage in a way that is wrong, and it's not only driving me nuts but takes away from clarity in one's writing. As this is a writing-based venue, I thought it appropriate to point this out. The rule is weird, and it's understandable how someone could get this wrong, but hey, this is an educational forum, ain't it?
                        THANK you.

I tried to launch this campaign on a certain other forum frequented by our members, and met with stiff resistance, and the ol' "usage should dictate rules" argument.

I cringe when I hear it used improperly in commercials and by seemingly intelligent news correspondents.

Take heed, people!
                        Marc A. Hermann
                        Liberty Rifles.
                        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Terry and all,

The Madeline of "North and South" is none other than Lesley-Anne Down, who's made something of a career playing comely skanks. She's well over 50 by now, and her first movie (back in 1969) was an English film "All The Right Noises" which starred one of my all-time cinema hotties, Olivia Hussey.
                          Jewel in RWTD is my pick for All-Time Civil War Movie Honey.
                          Miss Down, in her prime, would get my nomination to play the infamous Spring Hill doctor's wife, Jessie Peters.

Mark Warren
                          Hairy Nation Boys
                          [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
                          "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
                          Mark Warren
                          Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

Chihuahua,

Lets say we try to keep to the subject at hand, eh? Your taste in women either on or off the screen is of little to no interest. Kindly quit posting on my thread if that's all you have to offer the discussion.

Thank you kindly!

Comment

I've always been a huge fan of A Private History of a Campaign that Failed. This is a really interesting discussion. What's more important, the movie itself (plot, acting, dialogue, etc) or the costuming? There is no answer, but it seems a lot like the hobby itself. I've heard it countless times, often here lately. A good movie with crappy costumes, bad. A crappy movie with spot on kits, good!?! I'd love to say that someday, we'll get a good mixture of both, but until then, for better or for worse, if it involves the WBTS, I'm watching it!

By the way, for all your North and South fans, the best line BY FAR was Orry Main toward the end of Book II, cradling his dying mother in his arms, shouts, "MOMMA! MOMMA! YOU A GRANDMAMA MAMA!!!!""

Kinda brings a tear to the eye, don't it?

Scott Bumpus

Comment

Amid the bad costuming due to budgetary constraints, The Last Confederate isn't bad at all...

;)

-Johnny
                                Johnny Lloyd
                                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                                SCAR
                                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                                X