Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

"Isn't that the one that has the dude playing Braxton Bragg (who looked a lot more like Ed Asner than Bragg) picking his personal scouts by watching the guy break a horse?"

Yup, that's the one. I do not know which scene was more innacurate, the belly dancer in Vicksburg, or Bragg showing mercy to a deserter. lol
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

My vote goes to probably Wicked Spring, after about the first thirty minutes or so it gets kind of to the point were you get interested.The plot was horrible but all in all i'd say the the authenticity for this movie was great. The ending kind of aggravated me, i mean why didn't the guys just run to their sides? Andersonville was a good movie too, not as authentic but still a good plot.

Jon Preston
      Jon Preston
      F & AM Chandlersville #858, Kentucky

"SLAVE STATES, once more let me repeat, that the only way of preserving our slave property, or what we prize more than life, our LIBERTY, is by a UNION WITH EACH OTHER!" ---Jefferson Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
        Yes...Grey Night - that's it!!! Great entertainment value if you're looking for a good laugh!!! Thanks for providing the title for all of us wanna-be Confed Zombies...LOL

Tom the really funny/bad Confederate zombie movie is also know as "The KillingBox", you can look it up on IMBD. Some of our pards were "involved" in that movie for money and Mr. Clink even has a named credit! Be really careful what you sign up for, I'm glad I declined to be filmed for that one! I'll need to see if I can track down "Wicked Spring" and see it.
        Edward Anthony Parrott
        "Humbug"

Comment

"Slave traders bring back evil voodoo entity that is accidently freed by the Confederate army during the Civil War. The entity possesses the bodies of the dead soldiers to create an army of its own bent on conquest, using the corpses of both the North and South."

Just the other day I was wondering why there isn't more voodoo in our reenactments. I guess this is why.
          Tim Koenig

Comment

Tim:

There is plenty of voodoo about, just go to a big mainstream event! Same zombies been runnin round ths hobby since I got started in the 70's
            Edward Anthony Parrott
            "Humbug"

Comment

You want to see a really bad/marginally comical Confederate zombie movie.... give "2001 Maniacs" a whirl. You can learn all about the "Guts and Glory Jubilee".

"The South's gonna rise, the South's gonna rise, the South is gonna rise again...."
              Regards,
              [FONT=Arial][COLOR=Black]Greg Sites[/COLOR][/FONT]
              Co. H 33rd Va Inf
              Stonewall Brigade

"Whenever you see anything blue, shoot at it and do all you can to keep up the scare."
              Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

"Pharaoh's Army" isn't bad. They could have spiced it up with a few zombies though. Seriously some of the best stuff I have seen lately is being produced by Wide Awake Films out of Kansas City. Their documentary on the Battle of Franklin was really well done.
                Robert Clanton

“Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.”

George Will

Comment

Originally posted by Chihuahua View Post
                  Terry and all,

The Madeline of "North and South" is none other than Lesley-Anne Down, who's made something of a career playing comely skanks. She's well over 50 by now, and her first movie (back in 1969) was an English film "All The Right Noises" which starred one of my all-time cinema hotties, Olivia Hussey.
                  Jewel in RWTD is my pick for All-Time Civil War Movie Honey.
                  Miss Down, in her prime, would get my nomination to play the infamous Spring Hill doctor's wife, Jessie Peters.

Mark Warren
                  Hairy Nation Boys
                  We are digressing from history to hotties, but that is OK sometimes. I can here mention
                  a movie favorite of mine, "The Great Train Robbery," with Lesley-Anne Down steaming
                  hot in old England (with Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland.) It has many nice little
                  period touches from the Victorian era, as well being well-paced and having a lot of fun
                  with the story.
                  And then there's Jewel . . .
                  Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                  James C. Schumann
                  Mess #3
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Has anyone on here mentioned The Last Confederate? The story was good, but the production-values were a bit low due to budget. The man that produced/directed/starred in it was the actual descendant of the Confederate soldier from South Carolina that the story was about... pretty cool of a tribute to a brave citizen-soldier of the South.

If he had C/P/H advisors or friends, then I think the costumes would have been way better... if you watch it, check-out the Paki-made kepi the protagonist wears... made me want to reach into the TV screen and yank it off of his head.

Made for all the right reasons- heritage and tribute... showed Confederates in a realistic light- not just targets for the always "heroic blue" soldiers... lousy costumes... :(

Oh well, two-out-of-three ain't half-bad...

-Johnny
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Well I finally watched Ride With the Devil here at work last night, funny it had some really good stuff and then some absolute crap in it! It was OK as a film, though they tried to cover to many complex relationships in too short a time. Some of the ruffians had a pretty neat look, but then you get Toby Maguire wearing brown motorcycle cop type boots, arrgghhh, and the Federals (well the up close ones who get done in at the store scene) ahhhhhh (hmm maybe they were zombies?)..... Still need to see Wicked Spring.

Edward Parrott
                      "back to one..." mess
                      Last edited by Pvt Peck; 01-01-2008, 07:49 AM. Reason: content
                      Edward Anthony Parrott
                      "Humbug"

Comment

Happy New Year!

I've always enjoyed Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah (1965).
                        Mark Bridges
                        Culleoka, Tennessee

Comment

Happy New Year to all!
                          It seems as though this topic comes up about once every six months, but I'll make a contribution anyway.
                          Ride With The Devil is my favorite. Yes, it has some moments that aren't very good, but the dialogue and pacing of such sounds correct most of the time...you do have to overlook some clothing issues. It has Jewel, and that makes up for some shortcomings!
                          I always liked Jimmy Stewart's Shenandoah as a kid. It got me even more interested in the CW. It's appropriately sentimental as the period was then.
                          Here's a trivia (or trivial) movie for you, Martin Sheen in a movie filmed here in WV called No Guns, No Bugles. A Confederate deserter trying to get away from everyone.

Neil Randolph
                          1st WV
                          Last edited by nrandolph; 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM. Reason: superfluous wording

Comment

I also thought "Pharoah's Army" was a decent film. Better than "Goats & Genitals."

Rick Keating
                            Rick Keating
                            104th Illinois Vol. Inf.
                            1st Illinois Battalion

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Keating View Post
                              Better than "Goats & Genitals."

Rick Keating
                              BWAHAHAHAHA!! I almost spat my drink out reading that !

Edward Parrott
                              Edward Anthony Parrott
                              "Humbug"

Comment

I have enjoyed "Pharoah's Army". Have others seen it? Close up view of neighbors fighting neighbors. Reminds me of the Balkans.
                                redroosterinalabama

Comment

Working...
                                X