Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Civil War films (or rather, the lack thereof)...

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM View Post
    I should've just put a page on the Daybreaks site about the film...sometimes, I don't know where to begin to address it.

SO much stuff is skewed, compressed, and taken out of chronology and geography in that movie.

Remember Scorsese's own comment on the film: "it's an opera." Think of it as that, and you'll be fine. It is not a documentary, and treads dangerously at the level of "historical fiction."

"Opera," though, "opera!"
    Yep... when watching opera, the fat lady with the Viking horns by no way represents a true historical Viking...

I really did once meet Viking reenactors in Germany who were from Norway... wow, talk about unbathed and very hairy.

That was just the women. ;) LOL

But seriously-

I always got the feeling while watching Gangs things presented were a little too grubby/overblown/hellish. Yes, New York in that time was pretty foul, but just how foul were they would be appropriate to ask...

Yes, agreed, while Gangs is a fun film, it does further "murky the waters" of historical "accuracy" of Holly-weird... if such a thing can be achieved in Hollywood today. From Robin Hood with Errol Flynn in green tights, to Gone with the Wind Scarlett's bangs that didn't exist in real 1860s images, and other historical fiction movies of today, films have been making historians' jobs way harder in what they teach to the public/students.

Rhetorical question, I figure: Could Hollywood EVER make a very historically accurate film and tell the stories of history you and I know as they were known to have occurred? Is it budget (or lack of) that holds producers/directors from telling historical stories the way they actually occurred? Do producers thing that stories are too plain and need to embellish them in the name of "good storytelling"?

I've read of some fantastic stories of the War Between the States and many other instances in history that would make GREAT movies if they were told with attention to thoroughness and accuracy.

Such a shame. Oh well. -Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 02-09-2008, 01:54 PM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
      Could Hollywood EVER make a very historically accurate film and tell the stories of history you and I know as they were known to have occurred?
      Simple answer to the question? Yes. Actual outcome to the question? Only time will tell.

Comment

"and other historical fiction movies of today, films have been making historians' jobs way harder in what they teach to the public/students".

Johnny,
        The other side of the coin is some kid might say to himself; "I might look for a book on it" after seeing a movie, like Flyboys for instance, which took every cliché, myth, half truths about first World War air combat and lumped them together, I haven't enjoyed a "Knights of the air" movie so much since I saw The Blue Max and The Great Waldo Pepper as a kid and those caused me to read everything I could find on Charles Nungesser, Georges Guynemer, James McCudden, Edward Mannock, William Bishop, Rene Fonck, Eddie Rickenbacker, Manfred Von. SPADS, Fokkers, Gothas and Zeps.

You look past the fact that all Triplanes weren't painted all red sometimes. While still keep wishing they'd get it right though.

With respect,
        Bill O'Dea
        Salt Boilers mess
        122nd NY.

Comment

Originally posted by BillO'Dea View Post
          "and other historical fiction movies of today, films have been making historians' jobs way harder in what they teach to the public/students".

Johnny,
          The other side of the coin is some kid might say to himself; "I might look for a book on it" after seeing a movie, like Flyboys for instance, which took every cliché, myth, half truths about first World War air combat and lumped them together, I haven't enjoyed a "Knights of the air" movie so much since I saw The Blue Max and The Great Waldo Pepper as a kid and those caused me to read everything I could find on Charles Nungesser, Georges Guynemer, James McCudden, Edward Mannock, William Bishop, Rene Fonck, Eddie Rickenbacker, Manfred Von. SPADS, Fokkers, Gothas and Zeps.

You look past the fact that all Triplanes weren't painted all red sometimes. While still keep wishing they'd get it right though.

With respect,
          Bill O'Dea
          Salt Boilers mess
          122nd NY.
          Bill-

Right, the effect of "historical-themed" movies has the potential to do the opposite... actually drive people to find the real history behind the movie myth. For evidence of this, just look at the recent "Pirates of the Carribbean" craze and how many books in Barnes and Noble/Borders et al were pushed after the movie on historical pirates. The National Treasure and Da Vinci Code franchise seems to make people want to find out about the actual historical Masons, Knights Templars, Jesus, etc.

I am sure that Gone with the Wind has inspired MANY people toward the real history in our hobby, as well it has inspired just as many as toward the mainstream side.

Present company on this forum should NOT be included in that last statement. :wink_smil

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hello,

I thought Wicked Spring by a uniform and euipment stand point was good, but the rest of the movie was just okay.

Andrew Kasmar
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by WoodenNutmeg View Post
              In the meantime, I suppose I'll just watch my nine volumes of Ken's masterpiece(s) again (but that's a documentary...though it is an untouchable documentary).
              It's a good documentary, but there are many places it could be touched ;)
              James Rice
              Co. H, 2nd Florida
              [i]"Tell General Hancock that I have done him and you all an injury which I shall regret as long as I live."~ Brig.Gen. Lewis Armistead, CSA[/i]

Comment

I agree "Ride with the Devil."
                John Anderson
                Chesapeake Volunteer Guard

Comment

I was thinking about the film Gangs of New York yesterday. An okay film. In the movie at the climax of the New York draft riots cannon are fired into the city. (I did not think this was true) but are the any acounts of this?
                  Kenton Siers

“South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum” - James L. Petigru

Comment

I love on the Special Features of "Gods & Generals" they have a segment called Authenticites of the Film. Every time I see it I think someone will come on and say
                    THERE ARE NONE
                    HAHAHA
                    Tyler McHone
                    Liberty Rifles

Comment

Dear Ohioyankee:

Cannons fired in the streets of New York? During the Draft Riots?

Yep. Here's a few excerpts from "The Devil's Own Work: The Civil War Draft Riots and the Fight to Reconstruct America" by Barnet Schecter.

On Wednesday:
                      150 volunteers (civilians who were given arms to help quell the riots) under the commande of Col. Jardine were sent to First Avenue and 19th street. According to the New York Times "they raked the avenue up and down" with ten rounds of cannister fired from two howitzers.

On Thursday:
                      Three companies of militia were dispatched to First Avenue and 28th street to defend several armaments factories. They had a howitzer with them and had to use it to disperse the crowds at least once that morning.

On Thursday evening:
                      Capt. Putnam, who had been sent to recover the body of a cavalry sgt. who had been killed and abandoned in an earlier rout by the rioters just east of Gramercy Park. He had howitzers and several companies of infantry with him and they drove the rioters all the way to Second Avenue and 31st Street, where they decided to make a stand. His howitzers dispersed canister and the crowd fought from windows.

In the movie they show gunboats firing on the city. That never happened, though there were gunboats by Tuesday anchored at the foot of Wall Street, ready to fire into the financial district if it were needed. There were also several cannon in the Customs Building, but as far as I recall, they were never needed.

Hope that's helpful,
                      Karin Timour
                      Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping hats, Balaclavas
                      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                      Email: ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Has anyone here seen the Lost Battalion? It's about a Battalion that Goes into the Muese-Argonne Forest and are surrounded and try to fight their way out. It's World War One setting. I personally think it's quite good. There's a movie about Vietnam it's called Bat 21. It's about some radio guy's plane gets shot down behind VC lines and he tries to get to a landing zone.

HistoryGeek
                        Evan Hunsberger
                        I play drums because nobody knows when I play the wrong notes.

Comment

The first WBTS film I ever saw was The Great Locomotive Chase. While being near perfect historically speaking, uniforms & clothing were quite generic.

Ben Fowler
                          Ben Fowler

In honor of Capt. William Joshua Neary, Quartermaster, 44th Ga. Inf.; Co. K

Not a member of The Leave Early Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by 44thGa View Post
                            The first WBTS film I ever saw was The Great Locomotive Chase. While being near perfect historically speaking, uniforms & clothing were quite generic.

Ben Fowler
                            Buster Keaton!!
                            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                            (Loblolly Mess)
                            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

"4) What's up with that girl that has claws, anyway? ("Huh?!?" part two)"

That was Hell-cat Maggie, who was supposed to be a real person, though a lot of the weapons brandished in the movie were more appropriate for the Two-Chuck section of a Ren Faire.

Comment

I am not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but I was reading a book about reenacting from 1985, and it mentioned that in teh 1970s Johnny Cash did a Civil War movie called "Riding the Rails" and involved reenactors. Has anyone else heard of this?
                                David Fictum,
                                Member of the Pennsylvania College Guard,
                                recent member of the 2nd WI, Co A

Comment

Working...
                                X