No announcement yet.

EOG equivalent for the western theatre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EOG equivalent for the western theatre?

I love my Echos of Glory, however it's decidedly eastern theatre oriented. Can anyone recommend a Echos of Glory equivalent for the western theatre?

Thanks-
    Marc Hemmes
    Marc Hemmes

1st Colorado Vol Inf. Co. D
    Hardluck Mess

CWPT

Re: EOG equivalent for the western theatre?

Marc,
    Do you mean the CS or US book? I have the CS one and it's fairly balanced although I would like to see one that is just Western CS myself.
    Regards,
    Scott Dallimore
    14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
    Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
    -------------------------------------

Comment

I only have the US Echos of Glory so far and need to get the CS book.

thanks-
      Marc
      Marc Hemmes

Hardluck Mess

CWPT

Comment

Originally posted by marchemmes View Post
        Can anyone recommend a Echos of Glory equivalent for the western theatre?
        Marc,

See if you can find a copy of The Civil War Battles of the Western Theatre by Bryan S. Bush. This book features items in the Civil War Museum of Bardstown, KY, in a format somewhat similar to EOG. It may still be in print.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I'd just like to suggest you be careful with Bryan Bush's book. My experience with some of his other works is that he plays rather loose with sources and facts and doesn't always do adequate research. There are a considerable number of items in the Bardstown collection and in that book that lack good provenance. More than a few of the items in the Bardstown museum collection are questionable and may in fact be little more then centennial reproductions. It has some nice pictures and a good variety of items but, like Echoes of Glory, is a place to start from, not a source to end disputes.
          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Troy,

Good point, and like EOG, wouldn't it be nice if a crib sheet existed to point out the troubles and trifles. It's not like anyone has a copy of a well known book on CS relics that shows a live bait tin indicated as a cap pouch. :)
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
              Marc,

See if you can find a copy of The Civil War Battles of the Western Theatre by Bryan S. Bush. This book features items in the Civil War Museum of Bardstown, KY, in a format somewhat similar to EOG. It may still be in print.
              I found this book at Barnes and Noble. It is still available in hardcover if you are looking for it.
              Matthew S. Laird
              [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
              Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
              [/COLOR]
              [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I am currently in the beginning stages of research for a book on the west, primarily the Trans Mississippi theater of war. It will probably take me a while but I am working on it.
                Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]
                [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks all for the input. I checked amazon and Bush's book is available new and used for around $30.

Matthew- good luck with the project, I'll be looking forward to the finished product!

Thanks-
                  Marc
                  Marc Hemmes

Hardluck Mess

CWPT

Comment

I am curious about the particular nature of the differences of the uniforms and equipment of the Western and Eastern United States Volunteer forces. While there are anecdotal reports of differences in "how" the uniforms and equipment were worn, there is slim (or no?) evidence to indicate that the design features of the Federal uniforms issued to troops in various armies was different. Yes, there certainly were some state-issued coats or jackets that were unique (and probably more likely to be seen in the first two years of the war.

I have studied the Seventeenth Michigan Infantry, which was assigned to the Ninth Army Corps, first in The 1862 Maryland Campaign, then sent west to Kentucky, then to Vicksburg, back to Kentucky and Tennessee and finally returning east for the 1864 Virginia campaign. Photographic evidence show no startling differences to the uniforms and equipment. A few comments in diaries and letters from men in the regiments discuss specific usage and issues, but there is no indication that there was any difference in specific uniform items. A typical sack coat shown in EOG--Union would easily be the same in either the Army of the Cumberland or the Army of the Potomac.

Comment

I would be interested to see if there is any evidence that the Soldiers in one Theater or the other were more likely to modify their Uniforms. For example were Western troops more likely to add a pocket to their Uniform Coat than their Army of the Potomac counterparts? Were Soldiers in the East more likely to add three extra buttons to their Sack Coats just so they would have more buttons to polish?
                      Robert Clanton

“Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.”

George Will

Comment

Re: Reported Post by ohpkirk reporting paulcalloway in "The Watchdog"

I think an examination of the various Western arsenals might be educational. That run of St. Lous Arsenal sack coats that Brandon Jolly reproduced a number of years ago certainly comes to mind. It was a unique pattern to say the last.

Some of the details of the original:
                        Very hastily constructed.
                        Top stitching in the neighborhood of 5-6 stitches per inch.
                        No markings throughout the coat
                        4 piece body
                        2 piece sleeve
                        5 piece collar, (1 piece front collar, 4 piece back collar)
                        Collar interfaced with linen
                        Front facings interfaced with linen.
                        Tapered front facings, button side lacks the third or extra top stitch seen on some JT Martins.
                        Unique fluted cuffs.

I'm attaching some photos from that repop.
                        Attached Files
                        Paul Calloway
                        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                        Proud Member of the GHTI
                        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Re: Reported Post by ohpkirk reporting paulcalloway in "The Watchdog"

Folks,

This could be a good opportunity to rekindle interest in the Western federal (and Trans-Miss federal for that matter) soldier in time for a number of good events on the horizon. From the apex of interest 8 to 10 years ago, this subject matter area has become less visible and somewhat dormant. Might be a good chance to repost some facts and do a little mythbusting, too.

As for me, I'm not sure if the wheel or the pocket was the greater invention. I like 'em both.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Mr. Heath is exactly right about this. I have looked for any resources that I could find concerning this theatre of war and they are pretty scarce. I had several ancestors that fought in this theatre with the 15th NW Arkansas Infantry, The 61st Illinois and the 3rd Tenn Mounted Infantry and I have ran into brick wall after brick wall in determining things about the theatre as well as any of them, beyond the anecdotal story for most of them. Unfortunately all of my family members who had an interest or would have been able to provide some good gouge are all gone now. There is a diary that my ancestor in the 61st Illinois kept that I am searching for at the moment. These are the reasons that I planned to do a book about the Trans-Mississippi. No one has tackled the subject in great detail and I believe that someone should. Any suggestions on addtional places to look for more sources would be apprecaited and duely noted.
                            Matthew S. Laird

[/COLOR]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by mslaird View Post
                              I found this book at Barnes and Noble. It is still available in hardcover if you are looking for it.
                              Hi Matthew

Sounds very interesting. Please keep us posted.
                              Regards,
                              Scott Dallimore
                              14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
                              Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
                              -------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X